Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pack in, hang, and hunt treestand sets

I was in this dilemma in preparation for this season. Always used a LW climber before but didnt like settling for a tree that worked instead of a tree that was in the perfect location. To each their own, but after looking at all options I settled on the XOP stand and sticks. I chose this set because of cost, weight, packablity and reviews. I did upgrade to the rope mode and very glad I did. I can now get into pretty much any tree quick and most importantly quiet. I use the set up 95% of my hunts. View attachment 117294

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So then did you just remove the original cam straps on the lone wolf sticks and get some type of static rope to replace them? Also do you use the Lone wolf stick quiver with the lone wolf sticks or do you just cinch them all together another way to keep them secure and quiet?

I've never done a hang and hunt before, but I agree the approach is intriguing. Having the element of surprise and and ability to adapt to weather conditions and fresh stand locations has to improve the odds. My biggest concern is lugging it all in and trying not to spook everything out banging around in the dark and then discovering once it gets light that I dont have a decent shooting lane.
Everything I've read points to stealth strips and the rope mod for added quietness. I'm running an XOP vanish and muddy sticks. I wanted steps with steps on both sides and not the alternating ones.

I've never done a hang and hunt before, but I agree the approach is intriguing. Having the element of surprise and and ability to adapt to weather conditions and fresh stand locations has to improve the odds. My biggest concern is lugging it all in and trying not to spook everything out banging around in the dark and then discovering once it gets light that I dont have a decent shooting lane.

Mobile setups have their time and place but nothing beats having a permanent stand ready to go before season imo. Some ppl think they are great but I don’t enjoy sweating my balls off trying to hang a stand in the dark. There is nothing quiet about these things. You can make them “quieter” but not quiet. That being said they are a nice option to have if you want to hop around during season based on movement you’re seeing, still a pia but at least it gives you options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would guess that I'm like most people who hang/hunt, in that you know the area fairly well beforehand. So I'm not blindly hanging a stand in the dark to be surprised when the sun comes up.

I would guess that I'm like most people who hang/hunt, in that you know the area fairly well beforehand. So I'm not blindly hanging a stand in the dark to be surprised when the sun comes up.
Agree. I hunt several trees more than once in a season and have several I have hunted at least once each year for many years.

Lone wolf and 4 sticks.
You definitely have to plan for a specific tree if it's dark when you're heading in. I generally have a dozen or more spots prepped with lanes trimmed and a thumb tack at the proper height/area. It is definitely a lot more work and you have to be careful to be quiet, otherwise you'll educate deer and kill your chances. I don't have a single permanent stand at all, I put tree pegs in a bunch of known locations for different winds and I'll move in and hang my stand prior to each hunt. I'll bring my sticks along for about half my hunts where I don't have pegs in the trees.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On public I pre hang stands and leave 2 sticks and a stand in the tree. Then when I go back to hunt it I have to just carry 3 sticks. Keeps people out of my set and makes it tougher to swipe. I do this in proven spots

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hard to beat the comfort & ease of hanging a millennium. My go-to is usually the M7 microlite or the M60 with 4LW sticks or 4 Hawk Helium sticks with aiders. I still really like my LW assault & Hawk helium xl's.. have several of each. But the millennium takes the cake. I have millennium brackets hung in multiple locations i know i'll be hunting with different trees for different winds. Theoretically you can buy 1 stand & several receivers will get you a long ways. Just my .02

Good luck

I'm interested in understanding the value of the brackets. I assume it is time, but if I think about my 15 minutes from "all at base of tree with all my stuff to all set up and in the stand with all my stuff", the "attach the stand" part is probably less than 1 minute. What other value does the bracket provide?

How long on average does it take you guys to set up? In dark vs. daylight? That's one of my concerns about hang and hunts. The other concerns are noise, sweating, and packing in with all my other gear. But maybe I take too much or my stuff is too bulky/heavy.

How long on average does it take you guys to set up? In dark vs. daylight? That's one of my concerns about hang and hunts. The other concerns are noise, sweating, and packing in with all my other gear. But maybe I take too much or my stuff is too bulky/heavy.
It takes 2 hrs to pick a tree. Then your neck hurts. Then 5 mins to hang the stand

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Known tree is 15 or under - no difference on night or day, just use a red headlamp. Noise is not a big deal unless I do something wrong in the setup. I walk quite a ways for some sets - I leave the truck with base layer and light shirt/pant and pack the rest of my clothes to be put on at the tree.

Like I've previously stated, I've read lots of reviews. Some guys brag they can be set up and hunting in 5 minutes, tried it, done it. It was in daylight while not hunting and I was not worried about perspiration. Would I recommend that time pressure in the woods? A big hell no. Safety is always first for me. I always get set up earlier than needed and make sure I'm not rushing my set up. I am greatly focused on not making any noise or any safety sacrifices to speed up my set up time by a minute or two. IMO, wake up 15min earlier, take your time on set up it's well worth it. I pack light so the weight has never bothered me. Once you have a system of how you set up it goes really smooth. On average I'm in and set up between 6 and 9 minutes(dark or daylight) depending on the tree.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hanging is one thing. Tearing down is another. Most of the time I want to leave the setup and defeat the purpose

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The bracket isn’t a huge deal for one-time hang & hunts but it makes the whole setup process that much easier. I’m convinced I fight the stand & sweat more hanging the stand than any other part of the process.

Seems I’m always fighting the damn straps on the stands without brackets. Either they don’t want to loosen. They don’t want to tighten. They twist. All those challenges 20’+ in a tree makes the bracket a no-brainer for me.

I have safelines in all my trees as well so leaving a bracket/safeline makes repeat hang & hunts extremely fast.

I hunt from a saddle and use 2 ropes to climb. My entire set up weighs a few pounds and the only metal is a single carabiner and a buckle on my rock climbing harness. Every sit is a hang and hunt. I have zero presets and rarely hunt the same tree twice.

So this is purely because im curious. But for you guys that leave steps in tress, safety lines, brackets, etc. why dont you just leave a stand there? Im solely talking about private land of course. I have a LW with 4 sticks, but it mostly just collects dust in my garage....I may do one hang and hunt a year...maybe!

Top Bottom