Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Parched clover

Status
  • Deleted by Thinkin Rut
Will the drought stricken clover come back with rain or will it need overseeded? Thanks in advance!
If it's green today, it'll bounce back. IF IF we get rain soon. Which, we're "supposed to" but these clowns can't be more wrong on the forecasts.
I had some that's hanging on just fine. The other areas.... burnt fairly bad, especially stuff close to timber (Trees take moisture), probably toast, I'm going to drag a drill with more clover, rye, oats, peas & radish through it in a couple weeks. So, depends how bad yours is. If you can get seed to take when moisture comes back - go for it, can't hurt. May be just fine though, depends how bad.

Will the drought stricken clover come back with rain or will it need overseeded? Thanks in advance!

Depends what type of clover you're speaking of. For the most part clover has a pretty good drought tolerance. It doesn't tolerate drought and super high heat however, but this year we obviously haven't had that combination. I think you'd be ok if we get some rain it'll snap out of it. I know the red clover in our alfalfa is doing just fine here in Clarke county!

Red is more drought tolerant. White - not so much. Alfalfa is the most drought tolerant of most any legume..... deep rooted, doesn't like wet feet, etc. White is the exact opposite, does better in moist areas, shallow rooted, etc. Which, most of my clovers are whites. I usually seed them in more moist soils, lower areas BUT I sure don't mind putting them anywhere on occasion as if they don't make it, just some more nitrogen there and I'll add some more later anyways. follow dbltree's rotation though and you'll build Organic matter and that is one of your better insurances or one angle at fighting drought.

Status
  • Deleted by Thinkin Rut
Top Bottom