Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pasture to CRP

Ried#3

Are there any programs available through NRCS for converting pasture ground to CRP? I will end up calling their office but curious if anyone has any experience with this. Thanks

Google CRP Grassland CP-87/CP88/CP-42
Short of it: yes there is a program however there isn't any active signups right now. 1 or 2 years ago was the last and when I checked into the office this last spring, they had no idea if there would be another round (which they state they know as soon as we as landowners would know). I get emails from NRCS and would expect to see something there if it ever comes up again.

FWIW- my county was $39/acre rental rate...

image.jpeg
You can enroll pasture that borders a creek or wetland into a Riparan Buffer CRP.

They will allow you to plant trees on those acres. Typically the payment is $60-100 an acre. 90% cost share on trees. Native Grasses are option as well.

My farm in Iowa has 16 acres in riparian buffer and it is thick with switchgrass and cedars and it is full of deer...

View attachment 113435 You can enroll pasture that borders a creek or wetland into a Riparan Buffer CRP.

They will allow you to plant trees on those acres. Typically the payment is $60-100 an acre. 90% cost share on trees. Native Grasses are option as well.

My farm in Iowa has 16 acres in riparian buffer and it is thick with switchgrass and cedars and it is full of deer...
Agree! I also have riparian buffer however i can't share a pic with you because the growth/progress is embarrassing :( AND, i'm pretty sure the riparian can be re-enrolled!

I read up on this once. I thought I read somewhere that marginal pasture could be converted to CRP. Best to call office. I know they are up against the acreage limit nationally so it is getting pretty tough.

I did a riparian in Kansas and it came time to maintain and it took alot of talking to convince them I could burn it without burning all the trees down.There are some new programs coming out to increase the number of acres

Whoops. They just had an enrollment end for crp grasslands CP87 and CP88 I believe. rental rates are low and no cost share.

Quotes In my counties were low. I just decided to farm em no-till until they quality for Crp and leave em in Crp as long as possible.

Yes there is a program. It's called grasslands crp.it just finished a ranking period back in December.
Iowa just got 4881 acres accepted.
You can sign up any time but they fund projects in batches. Rental rates are not as good as regular crp.
DoNT forget about using EQIP program for conversion. It just pays cost share and no annual rental.

Top Bottom