Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Percentage of bucks you get on trail cams to total amount in area

I posted this on another site but figured I would try Iowa whitetail as well. Say you have 1 camera per every 200 acres in a normal, 60% row crop field 40%timber area.. How many of the bucks that live in that area are you catching on trail cam? I feel like I get almost 90% of them all... which sucks lol but thats just how I feel.. But then again I had 20-25 3.5 year olds that I KNOW lived through the season that I cant find on trail camera... are they dead, or just evading my camera?

Depends. If using a corn pile or mineral lick, I'd bet you are getting many of them. Just covering one trail, odds go down.

Then, right now I'm seeing some bachelor groups that will disappear come the rut, while new cruisers will show up.

During the summer I would say you get under 50% of your deer on one camera per 200. My deer do not range nearly that far. I run one camera per 50-80 acres in the summer.

I glass the same bean field almost every night and I know of four bucks for sure that never showed up on my mineral lick/camera next to their bedding area. I moved the cam to where they have been entering the field so I should get them next pull.

I watch a field every night and only have gotten 3 out of 8 on camera on corn. That is only over a week, but don't worry too much about what doesn't show up on camera

I've got two cameras 150 yds apart and I haven't had a buck on one of the two cameras alllll summer where the other camera has had many bucks... :s

I have 7 cameras on 200 acres and I can tell you deer only show up on certain cams. I would say if you are running one cam on 200 acres you are getting less than 40% of the bucks this time of year.

I have 2 cams on 90 ish acres...with 180ac of corn/bean to the south of me and 180 corn/bean to the east. 2 yrs ago I feel I got 95% of bucks to show up to minerals or scrapes cams. Last yr I never got any pics of the 3 biggest bucks i saw preseason glassing and bow hunting. This year so far is much like last yr....nothing big showing. I have only chk'd cams 2x with approx a month btwn. So i really doubt I'm spooking them but who knows. I guess I hope they are there like last yr, as one of the nice bigger bucks (145-150) showed himself and I was lucky to harvest him.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

I run cameras on field edge scrapes starting around the 3rd week of September each year. I would say I have at least 1 camera per 50 acres. From what I see while hunting I would guess I get better than 90% of the bucks in the area on camera. I have not killed a "stranger" since I started running cams on scrapes over 10 years ago. It is very rare that I spot one while hunting that I do not recognize. Trail cams have made me a believer that bucks travel much less than we have been led to believe.

We have 4-5 cameras on 1 120 acre farm, mostly river bottom, with some upland. Almost never get the same buck on 2+ cameras..

Run 10 cameras on 235 acres. Mostly all I edges, food plots and Logging roads. You would be surprised how tight their ranges are this time of year. If I only had a couple cams out I would be missing a lot of bucks.

Run 10 cameras on 235 acres. Mostly all I edges, food plots and Logging roads. You would be surprised how tight their ranges are this time of year. If I only had a couple cams out I would be missing a lot of bucks.

This ^^^^

Last weekend I deployed 5 on 90. ;)

I have about 650 acres and run around 20 trail cameras. I have gone through 28k photos so far this year. The 650 acres comprises of 3 farms, all within 1.5 miles of each other. Recently, I have been glassing two 5 yr olds..150 and a 170, I have the matched sets from both of these bucks last year, I have ZERO trail cam photos of either of these bucks this year. I also have had history for 4 years with both of these bucks. I stay networking with the neighbors and have been able to track "roughly" their core areas through the years. The smaller of the two hasn't changed his core area, while the bigger deer changed his home core from about a mile. I think what caused his shift was that he stayed on ours for the winter (lots of standing crops) and has now setup his summer home range on ours. Every single deer is different with different home ranges including the fact that a deers home range changes for summer, fall, and winter and for some deer nothing changes. I would hate to try and tell people a percentage of bucks my camera captures but it's impossible. A camera has a small detection range and think of the thousands of areas a deer can go. The chances of catching every deer on cam is wishful thinking. We have implemented about 10 water holes (15ft diameters) and I have done the QDMA deer survey (14 days) all while knowing that I have visually seen some bucks while scouting and they still haven't shown themselves on camera. They can see them, hear them, smell them, etc. The more I learn, the more I realize that cameras are only a PART of the total package. On a last note- they do not do you any good sitting in your house, truck, etc. I just had an 8 yr old buck just show back up on camera after disappearing all of last year. So with that being said... He wasn't dead, which means his home range changed or he avoids cameras????

I have 4 cameras on each piece of property I hunt and it seems come oct I start getting all new bucks and a few that stay. First week of November it seems I always see bucks for the first time while chasing tail

I have two mineral licks on my 54 acre property and a camera on each, set out from May through August. I have 10 different bucks that have visited the mineral licks. The one mineral lick all the bucks have been to and the other only a couple have went to. If I am only getting 50 percent of the bucks in my area then I am in for a sweet surprise this fall.

I have now set up 7 cams on the property for the new movement and lack of use of the mineral licks. It will be interesting to see if they stick around and for how long.

Last year I only saw one 2 bucks I hadn't gotten on film in the summer/fall and they didn't show till late Dec.

We've got 3 cam's spread over probably a 100 acre area. Don't get the same bucks on any of them. Pretty tight home areas this time of year.

Last year I ran two cams on opposite sides of a 90 acre farm and during the months of July-September I had the same mature deer show up on both cams. The year before I also had one repeat mature buck on both cams. This year I've had zero mature bucks at all (probably due to heavy logging of the property). Anymore I feel like I'm wasting my time running cams before they shed their velvet. It's great to get pictures and all, but it doesn't really help besides verifying what bucks made it through the season and judging what is a potential shooter or pass.

Top Bottom