Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

perfect storm - nr landowner lawsuits

How can I hunt a buck legally every year?? please tell me because I can find anything that states I can shoot a buck. Please show me and help me out

The last thing that we want in Iowa is to fuel the outfitting business. I have land in western Illinois that is in an area with lots of outfitting and I just don't see the age structure or quality of deer that we have here in Iowa. In fact, I haven't even hunted my farm there in 2 years because of that. The reason I say this is that most outfitter clients are thrilled to shoot a 130" - 150" buck with no regards to age. What ends up happening is that a large percentage of younger bucks are killed and you don't have as many 4.5 yr old or older bucks. What's even worse is that the genetically superior young bucks are the most likely to be killed.

If the DNR or state decides that more money needs to be raised through NR license sales, I'd much rather see those tags go to NRLO's than to see an overall increase to all NR's.

It's true that more land will get bought up by NR in either scenario. But, if it's got to be one or the other, I'd much rather see NRLO's get tags by "earning a buck with 2-3 doe kills" versus an across the board increase in NR tags. At least this way, it wouldn't fuel the outfitting business and reduce the quality of our deer herd. We have something very special here that could be devastated if outfitting takes off like it has in other states.

How can I hunt a buck legally every year?? please tell me because I can find anything that states I can shoot a buck. Please show me and help me out

Get a local friend to go shotgun hunting with, you have a doe tag they have an any sex tag. If you shoot a buck he can tag it for you. Happens all the time. Completely legal beagle.

You can, but to me and bulk of Iowa hunters it is a flaw in the system. to be honest, and not to tell a fella his business, but you oughta consider where your ethics are before you participate. Just sayin... No need for greed, you knew the rules when you bought the land.

Legal doesn't make it right.

I had no idea i could party hunt with the shotgun as a NR. But how do I get a nr doe tag??

buy it for like 150 dollars.They have leftover tags every year.You can put in for points and still buy a doe shotgun tag.Actually i think non resident landowners get some kind of preference on them.

Last edited:
You can, but to me and bulk of Iowa hunters it is a flaw in the system. to be honest, and not to tell a fella his business, but you oughta consider where your ethics are before you participate. Just sayin... No need for greed, you knew the rules when you bought the land.

That was my point!!! It isn't MY LEGAL BUCK. I just have a doe tag. I am not a greedy person and I would rather not bend the rules

Honestly what is unethical about it?I dont gun hunt but i see nothing unethical about coming to hunt with your buddies.I know a resident that has shot 10 bucks during shotgun season.Outfitters have been doing it for years,and they are making money doing it.

That was my point!!! It isn't MY LEGAL BUCK. I just have a doe tag. I am not a greedy person and I would rather not bend the rules

Yes it is.You can legally shoot a buck and put your buddies tag on it.Iowans have been doing it for years.As long as you are hunting as a group it doesnt matter whos tag is on it.100% legal,no bending of the rules.They are the rules.

I guess I should look at the hunting regs more. I just ml and bow hunt. Tried shotgun this year but didn't really look at this issue.

Like I said, its legal, but only because of a flawed system.

Again, legal doesn't make it right.

Like I said, its legal, but only because of a flawed system.

Im not going to argue about it because we all dont have to see things the same way.But what is not right about it? This is a thread about nrlo wanting a tag every year,and they actually already can.

In your opinion......

I might not like Iowa resident Mr. John Smith buying an any sex license for his out of state friends to party hunt on, but that is the way things currently are.

What does irk me is when Mrs. John Smith, Granny Smith, Lil' Smith and Fido Smith buy tags too, none with any intention of actually hunting. Ok, maybe Fido can assist in the recovery, oops, that's illegal too.

tha4 what is illegal or wrong with a tradition that has been around longer than us? Some people only party hunt, this is the time when family and friends get together and enjoy Iowa! Now you dont want us to do that either because you view it as unethical? You talk about nr wanting to change the rules to suit us? I think you said" things are fine the way they are". This is a great thread till someone clearly has a close minded selfish view like that! Many older res dont care about big racks, only the tradition of the hunt, and the pot of chili we will all eat and talk of the MANY years we have done it. Outfitters will ruin this method of hunting because the land will be chopped up and sold or leased in little sections like Illinois. Go to Whitetail Properties web site and try to find a big farm to buy there. It is definetly the increased nr tags that will ruin iowa, that is when the res outfitters will show up to make the money!

All I'm saying is the NR party hunting thing. You want to party hunt as residents, fine. But, if a NR landowner/hunter is restricted to once every 3 years or however it goes, it should be that way across the board. Working the party hunting loop hole is legal, currently.

Randy, yes opinion, the same can be said about the bulk of your posts, but there is a lot of truth to what I'm saying. AND, what you say about granny smith is absolutely how this is being done.... for the most part, I HIGHLY doubt a hunter will give up a tag and go sit with a NR hunter so he can shoot a buck each year. I am speculating some, but you'd be pretty hard pressed to prove me wrong.

Just saying, if I had the choice, I would make NR party hunting fully illegal as it is simply defeating the purpose of a draw system. Fact.

ALot of the people in the party are nr that spend time with friends and relatives party hunting. If the smiths buy tags they will get used nr or res! I have seen res shoot way more bucks than their tags allow!

Randy, yes opinion, the same can be said about the bulk of your posts, but there is a lot of truth to what I'm saying. AND, what you say about granny smith is absolutely how this is being done....

I can promise you that there are plenty of residents that are filling tags for people that are not hunting also.Heck i know a few farmers that never even hunt that get all the tags they can and ask the people that hunt on them to fill them,Which is illegal.

All im saying is that if i was a non resident land owner and wanted to come hunt iowa every year,on the years i didnt draw a bow tag i would buy a nr doe tag for shotgun season and find a resident who dont gun hunt to sit with me.I dont see anything unethical about it.In new mexico landowners sell there landowner tags all the time.Im sure thats how most of the tv guys get to hunt there so much.They dont have preference points so a non resident may never get drawn there.Luckily we all dont have to agree on everything.

tags

guys lets agree that all of you have good points but the fact is the state of iowa and there law makers will have the finial decission on what happens being it right or wrong all we can do is write your gov.senetor.ect and tell them your concerns and see what happens but they are going to look out for iowa and the money they can gain from nonres tags no matter what we say or do :confused:

Top Bottom