Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

perfect storm - nr landowner lawsuits

Randy, yes opinion, the same can be said about the bulk of your posts, but there is a lot of truth to what I'm saying.
Nice try at discrediting what I posted.

Usually, most people consider right vs wrong based on legality. Now if you don't agree with a law, that is one thing. Your opinion doesn't make the law wrong, just that you disagree with it.

Heck i know a few farmers that never even hunt that get all the tags they can and ask the people that hunt on them to fill them,Which is illegal.

So are you saying Farmer Bob that does not even hunt can GIVE his tags to people and not even have to be in the field? I thought party hunting was legal when everyone with a tag was IN the field actually hunting together and anyone can kill all the deer for the party as long as the owner of the tags are physically present.

I know it happens, but you can't tell me that it's legal for a shotgun hunter to have a pocketful of tags from the landowner and his family when those people aren't even isn't present. Is that legal????????????

So are you saying Farmer Bob that does not even hunt can GIVE his tags to people and not even have to be in the field? I thought party hunting was legal when everyone with a tag was IN the field actually hunting together and anyone can kill all the deer for the party as long as the owner of the tags are physically present.

I know it happens, but you can't tell me that it's legal for a shotgun hunter to have a pocketful of tags from the landowner and his family when those people aren't even isn't present. Is that legal????????????

Nope its NOT LEGAL he said in quoted post that it was illegal. You must have read it as legal.

Nice try at discrediting what I posted.

Usually, most people consider right vs wrong based on legality. Now if you don't agree with a law, that is one thing. Your opinion doesn't make the law wrong, just that you disagree with it.

whatever RANDY, you are the voice of reason and we all know it
:drink2:

whatever RANDY, you are the voice of reason and we all know it
Never claimed to be the voice of reason, not sure I want that burden. I will speak my mind however and throw opinions out there. And you can speak for all?

In Iowa, it is illegal for a hunter to have in his possession a deer license issued to someone else.

That said, I have had a few encounters with CO's while deer hunting and I have never been "searched" or asked to empty the contents of my pockets.

This has been a very good subject this year.There are some new views that have been very good as well as old ones that will never go away from both sides .It continues to be important that both sides can discuss it and remain civil for the most part.Someday we may all be knocking on each others doors for a place to hunt!

Cedar, I think you are right he did say 2 NR hunters per 100 but I think that's a little too dense. 1 per 100 is better, but say one owned 150 acres 2 NR hunters would be ok, 1 for the 100 and 1 for the overage.

Last edited:
the main points of the whole thread are, the jackholes who call themselves outfitters found a loop hole in the current regs that allows NR to buy doe tags and still shoot bucks. In that system, though, there are very specific rules on what is legal and what isn't. Johnny using granny's tags for his NR buddy's buck, is as illegal as it gets when granny has never stepped foot in the field.

We need to do away with the BS they call Governors tags...boo-hoo some celebs won't get to shoot a big iowa buck every year...and maybe some of the videos you see from the mostly out of state folks will show a more realistic expectation of "wild" deer. Some might be surprised to know that booners aren't actually hiding behind every tree in Iowa.

The amount of income that is truly generated from 6000 more NR anysex tags is very minimal and isn't going to bail the state out of the debt problems we have, but it would make some more land sell to NR...who would then eventually be back at the bitchin table because eventually 12000 NR tags won't be enough...so yes, it would become a vicious cycle. Allowing 6000 more NR anysex tags, for whatever BS reason is given is just a start of the pilfering.

The biggest question NR and NRLO's need to ask themselves is "Why does Iowa have such a good trophy whitetail population?" The answer is because our laws "ain't stupid"...so follow them.

This whole NRLO issue was put into very real perspective by a previous post that included an article about how Illinois went to crap.

Last edited:
See 2011 QDMA Whitetail Report

A lot of what is being talked about on this thread has been happening all over, not just IA. Opportunity to hunt on private ground is getting more scarce, land values are changing, etc.. Not all of it is because of the NRLO. Look at the prices of commodities grown on IA farms. Do you think that attracts NRLO's, ones that may not even own a gun? Just rehashing a lot of what was already said.

NRLO's pay propterty taxes and that should give them some advantage in getting a any sex tag. Even if it is 1 extra preference point each year. That way if it takes 4 years to get a bow hunting license, it would only take 2 years. If you would get a gun tag everyother year, now you would get one every year. Just throwing in my ten cents worth.

Look at the 2011 whitetail Deer Report on QDMA's website. A lot about what is getting blamed on the NR's and NRLO's hunting in IA is addressed in this report. It is a long read, but look at the table of contents and look at the specific areas.

thanks

. The biggest question NR and NRLO's need to ask themselves is "Why does Iowa have such a good trophy whitetail population?" The answer is

December Gun Season..great habitat in parts of Iowa...genetics/feed/minerals for antler growth:way:

. The biggest question NR and NRLO's need to ask themselves is "Why does Iowa have such a good trophy whitetail population?" The answer is

December Gun Season..great habitat in parts of Iowa...genetics/feed/minerals for antler growth:way:

Not just December gun season, it's shotgun. Everyone thinks Buffalo County, WI is so great because of supposed "minerals" in the soil because it's in the Driftless Region. In reality, they have more or less the same genetics and nutrition as any other similar county along the Mississippi River. the reason they have such great hunting is because they were shotgun only until recently. QDM is well practiced there and thats why they maintain the good bucks. Iowa being shotgun only will always keep the number of older bucks higher than in states that allow rifles for gun season.

The days of being able to hunt lightly pressured areas and see a 150" behind every tree are in the past. Whether anyone likes it or not, Iowa has the attention on it now, partially because the DNR whored out the deer with Governor's Tags. Demand in Iowa probably isn't going to down, especially with both recreational and ag ground both being in high demand. If anyone blames non-resident hunting pressure, they're misguided. Have you guys forgotten about the early youth muzzleloader and the early muzzleloader sesaon for residents? Liberal seasons and bag limits have had a much larger impact on any perceived quality degradation in Iowa deer hunting than NR/NRLO's.

A lot of what is being talked about on this thread has been happening all over, not just IA. Opportunity to hunt on private ground is getting more scarce, land values are changing, etc.. Not all of it is because of the NRLO. Look at the prices of commodities grown on IA farms. Do you think that attracts NRLO's, ones that may not even own a gun? Just rehashing a lot of what was already said.

NRLO's pay propterty taxes and that should give them some advantage in getting a any sex tag. Even if it is 1 extra preference point each year. That way if it takes 4 years to get a bow hunting license, it would only take 2 years. If you would get a gun tag everyother year, now you would get one every year. Just throwing in my ten cents worth.

Look at the 2011 whitetail Deer Report on QDMA's website. A lot about what is getting blamed on the NR's and NRLO's hunting in IA is addressed in this report. It is a long read, but look at the table of contents and look at the specific areas.

thanks
What are you trying to say? That many of the NRLO's are just farmers expanding into Iowa? You had better look at that scenario yourself. I'm confident you not only don't farm, but don't have a clue as to how to farm! Now as for the taxes. Do you think the Iowa property taxes entitle preference for deer hunting tags? Come on! Get your head out of the hole. I think i've officially heard every excuse in the book!

Not just December gun season, it's shotgun. Everyone thinks Buffalo County, WI is so great because of supposed "minerals" in the soil because it's in the Driftless Region. In reality, they have more or less the same genetics and nutrition as any other similar county along the Mississippi River. the reason they have such great hunting is because they were shotgun only until recently. QDM is well practiced there and thats why they maintain the good bucks. Iowa being shotgun only will always keep the number of older bucks higher than in states that allow rifles for gun season.

The days of being able to hunt lightly pressured areas and see a 150" behind every tree are in the past. Whether anyone likes it or not, Iowa has the attention on it now, partially because the DNR whored out the deer with Governor's Tags. Demand in Iowa probably isn't going to down, especially with both recreational and ag ground both being in high demand. If anyone blames non-resident hunting pressure, they're misguided. Have you guys forgotten about the early youth muzzleloader and the early muzzleloader sesaon for residents? Liberal seasons and bag limits have had a much larger impact on any perceived quality degradation in Iowa deer hunting than NR/NRLO's.
kbnelson; you seem to want to be an expert on Iowa. Too bad you know so little. Early muzzleloader season has been around for probably as long as you. Doesn't impact the deer herd one bit. Now you're trying to say we should forget about teaching our kids to hunt so nr's can have more tags? Where is your head? I believe Grant Co. is or was a shotgun county in Wisconsin. Why is it that Grant Co. isn't a big destination for Wisconsin hunters. I haven't heard of any big bucks killed there for years. Could it be because they start blasting the bucks the weekend before Thanksgiving?

It's already Feb 10 with no new proposed legislation. Maybe all the bickering is for not as the legislative season quickly passes. The R's and NR's can throw some water on your keyboards to cool them off.

Last edited:
What are you trying to say? That many of the NRLO's are just farmers expanding into Iowa? You had better look at that scenario yourself. I'm confident you not only don't farm, but don't have a clue as to how to farm! Now as for the taxes. Do you think the Iowa property taxes entitle preference for deer hunting tags? Come on! Get your head out of the hole. I think i've officially heard every excuse in the book!

Cedar - I would like to say that MSWALDO appeared to me to simply be sharing his point of view, without any ire, malice or name calling. (I may or may not agree with him on everything, but I think it is important that we all be able to politely say what we think to each other, even if we disagree. I am fine with a healthy disagreement BTW.)

I think you "upped" the ante on him here and turned it a bit critical, unnecessarily. I am not the boss here by any means, but I do feel as though each of us has a part to play to define how we interact and I would like to encourage you, me and everyone else to share our thoughts, ideas and questions constructively. Those are my thoughts, I welcome yours. :way:

Cedar - I would like to say that MSWALDO appeared to me to simply be sharing his point of view, without any ire, malice or name calling. (I may or may not agree with him on everything, but I think it is important that we all be able to politely say what we think to each other, even if we disagree. I am fine with a healthy disagreement BTW.)

I think you "upped" the ante on him here and turned it a bit critical, unnecessarily. I am not the boss here by any means, but I do feel as though each of us has a part to play to define how we interact and I would like to encourage you, me and everyone else to share our thoughts, ideas and questions constructively. Those are my thoughts, I welcome yours. :way:
It may be that MSWALDO chose to use his first post to shed some sort of light on the plight of the poor NRLO's. I guess i would like somewhat of a better explanation as to what he or she was trying to say. I am ready to argue that few if any NRLO's are purchasing land in Iowa because of the growing grain prices! And the taxes entitle a NRLO to get more tags? Why would a farmer that doesn't even own a gun care about more deer tags?

Last edited:
Top Bottom