Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pheasant Forever Organization

Outdoor Family

In another thread there was discussion on Pheasant Forever and being a great place for free seed. I’m seriously thinking of becoming a member of the Southern Prairie chapter. The free seed is a great idea, but I’m hoping to get some insight on the purpose of the organization. I guess I need to understand why would PF would give me free seed to plant when the real beneficiary with be deer and turkey??? Not a lot of pheasants in the area, but maybe new plantings will be creating more pheasant habitat were there hasn’t been....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> guess I need to understand why would PF would give me free seed to plant when the real beneficiary with be deer and turkey??? </div></div>

Of course the hope is that the seed will help pheasants but PF is about habitat for all wildlife. If you enhance your property for pheasants you will be improving it for all types of wildlife.

The National Wild Turkey Federation is the same way, if you get oak seedlings from them they most certainly will help more then just turkeys.

Both are great habitat orginizations that are worthy of support...who knows...you might just have to do some bird hunting on your place someday! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Pheasants Forever

The National Wild Turkey Federation

Both have great magazines with excellent habitat info as well

Pheasants Forever is an organization that raises money for wildlife habitat and education. The local chapters get to keep 100% of the money they raise and can spend that money on whatever projects they want to as long as they are for habitat or education. My local chapter is not in a part of the state with suitable pheasant habitat so most of our money gets spent developing deer, turkey, waterfowl and quail habitat. Don't get fooled by the name, this organization is about alot more than just pheasants. I have stated this before ... if you are interested in improving deer habitat on a local level, Pheasants Forever (or Quail Forever) is the organization you should become involved with.

Couldn't agree more QDM. I am the President of the Marion County PF chapter and our Youth Chair. We give free corn and sorghum seed to landowners every year and cost share many projects. The benefits that these plantings bring to game and non-game animals alike are endless. The fact that 100% of our money stays with us is also a plus. We use it at our discression and aid many education and conservation efforts.

Southern Prairie is a great chapter and they have a good reputation nationally. They are also well connected to QF and other initiatives. I believe their annual banquet is coming up within the next two weeks (so is ours). This would be a GREAT opportunity for you to meet the members and learn more about how they raise their money and where it goes.

Outdoor Family - I'll PM you a contact name in case you are interested in joining or attending their banquet.

For those that are not PF members (I strongly encourage you to join) you can purchase seed mixes that provide great cover and winter food sources for all types of wildlife from upland birds like quail and pheasants to deer and turkeys.

By joining you will most likely be able to get free seed from a local chapter (contact your local county conservation board)but they also have seed available to purchase and these are mixes not commonly available through most seed distributers.

They have plenty of the following :

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Blizzard Buster $49 25lb Bag
Covey Rise Sorghum $47 25 lb Bag
Early Longtail $45 25 lb Bag

Contact Jim Wooley 641-774-2238 or Nathan Pace 515-975-1400 </div></div>

Give them a call but better yet...pay your PF and NWTF dues and give all wildlife a helping hand! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Top Bottom