Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pigeons or farm raised birds for dog training

hotshott2289

hey guys just curious if anyone has any information on finding some clipped wing ducks or pigeons to use for my lab pup. Thanks!

We used to catch ours to train our dogs. We had a couple old barns that they lived in and would go in at night in the dark with a really bright flashlight. Shine it on them as they are flying around and they will get all turned around trying to find the exit and will eventually hit the ground where we would use a fishing net to catch them. Can take a while if you want to catch 8 - 10 but it is also pretty fun. We also had an a farmer friend that would always have some move into his grain bins through the top and I would climb up there with the net and cover the hole at night and they would fly out into it.

Sorry I am not much help on where you could go buy some.

I used a pigeon trap. Had a few farmers that would let me put them in there barns. No need to clip wings. If you cross there wings behind them they cannot fly away. If you want them to fly a short distance, take a small 6"x6" square piece of card board, put a small hole in the center and tie foot long piece of string to it and the other end to the leg of the pigeon. It will act as a kite and the bird will get tired as it Flys and land a short distance away.

Top Bottom