Pit Beef

Discussion in 'Food Corner' started by StickersNKickers, Sep 27, 2019.

1. StickersNKickers

StickersNKickers Camo Up!

Just thought I'd share this for anyone with some roasts in the freezer. This was made with beef, but could do similar with venison (probably have to adjust cooking times). I had a beef rump roast hanging out in the freezer and wanted to smoke something. Realizing it probably wasn't suited for pulled beef like a chuck roast would be, I searched for smoked rump roast recipes. I stumbled across a recipe for Baltimore Pit Beef and decided I'd do something like that. From what I gather, Baltimore Pit Beef is usually made with a roast from the round and seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic. Typically cooking would be grilling over direct heat to about 120-135 F (depending on the doneness you like). Once cooked, it is sliced paper thin deli style for sandwiches and topped with sweet onions and Tiger Sauce on a kaiser roll.

I switched the seasoning up a little as I had some home mixed beef rub left over from a previous smoke. The rub didnt have any salt as I like to dry brine meat first these days. For the cook, I decided to do a reverse sear on the pellet smoker to get more smoke flavor. I got it a little too done on the roasting part before grilling over direct heat, but not bad. I went to 120 F on the roasting and then about 135 F on the final temp. I don't have a meat slicer, so my slices were thicker. I used it two ways, as pit beef sandwiches and on a salad.

Here's my rendition:

2 lb rump roast
    Salt (about 1/2 tsp per lb meat)
    Beef Rub (black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, white sugar)

1 C Mayo
    1/2 C Creamy Horseradish
    1/4 Tbsp minced garlic (optional)
    Juice of 1/2 lemon (optional)
    Salt and pepper to taste (optional)

Onions, thinly sliced
    Kaiser Roll or similar

Sprinkle salt over the entire roast (if your beef rub has salt in it, may not need to salt first). Follow with light coat of beef rub. Refrigerate overnight.

Set up smoker to cook at 200-225 F. Place roast on smoker and smoke approximately an hour until about 110-120 F. Increase the heat to 400 F and direct grill the roast until about 120-135F, depending on desired doneness. Remove the roast and tent in foil for about 15 minutes. Slice into thin slices.

For the Tiger Sauce, combine mayo and horseradish and stir until mixed well. Can add the garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper if desired.

For sandwiches, toast the roll/bun. Pile the beef on, followed by onions, and then some sauce. Enjoy!

For salad, make your salad. Top with beef slices. Enjoy!

fatboy likes this.