Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Plan to Panic.......

Outdoor Family

Well, my plan from spring to fall for killing/discing/planting has hit a bump and I need some advice….
I was able to spray roughly 6 acres in both April and May. The plan was to then start discing in June and July for a fall planting of brassica the middle of August and rye/wheat in early September….Well everything has gone wrong since June, and I’m hoping that the new radiator coming this week will finish the old Ford problems and she be running better that new. Now I need to trailer it and get some things done. I live 9 hours away, so I’m hoping that I can get done what needs to get done with two trips(August;September) I think I’m ok with ph (tests 6 for the most part), but I need a new plan. I assume when I see the sprayed plot, new weeds will be present. Should I dics/spray on that trip?? I plan on spreading some lime also( why not I have the help to do it). Should I just do the prep work in August and plant Labor Day weekend for the brassica and grains(as a cover crop for clover and on it’s own)
Any and all advice is welcome….oh yea, I really want something to carry over to spring(and my daughter/father to hunt over), then a buckwheat plan starts from there…..
Thanks

I would spray and not disc. If available, I would disk and plant on the same trip. The sprayed spots will be very weedy right now, since nothing has been done since April/May. Just my thoughts on the subject. Also, it will not hurt if you put lime down before you spray.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I just do the prep work in August and plant Labor Day weekend for the brassica and grains(as a cover crop for clover and on it’s own)

[/ QUOTE ]

You can do the prep work now but I found that September was to late for brassicas.

I tried some planted late and they never got over a few inches high.

They need to be planted now thru mid August depending on moisture.

The rye/oats etc would be perfect for Labor day weekend planting and you could sow clover then as well.

I don't care for brassicas with clover unless you use rape only and no turnips. Deer will root the turnip bulbs out in mid winter and tear up your new clover seeding.

If you have grasses...nuke em when you first get there and then till it up and work in the lime.

If it's only weeds you might get away with tilling only but I suspect you may have to mow them..they may be 4 ft high by now!
blush.gif
grin.gif

Goodluck with the Ford!
waytogo.gif

Thanks for the insight and keep the advice coming....

Dbltree
I read in another post that you wife is doing great with her recovery. As many have stated, thoughts and prayers continue for a full recovery. Also, it's great to see you passing on advice again....

That being said, how this for a plan....Spray the first day back, till and spread lime the next day, plant the brassica the third day. This will happen within the next week. Then plant grain and clover at labor day timeframe?

Ford should be good to go today or tomorrow.....

[ QUOTE ]
You can do the prep work now but I found that September was too late for brassicas.

I tried some planted late and they never got over a few inches high.

They need to be planted now thru mid August depending on moisture.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I have had the exact same outcome as Dbltree on brassicas and our farms are fairly close to each other in SE Iowa. I plan on planting turnips/brassicas in the next 3-10 days.

Well, for better or worse, this is what happen this past long weekend….The good news…sod is dead…bad news WAS the 4ft weeds. Brush hogged about 7 acres down and was able to disc 3 + acres in between the rains. Was also able to spread ½ ton of pellet lime on the three acres. Then planted the 3 + acres in rape/turnip, as the rain started. Yesterday morning was going to try and drag and the rain started again….
Knowing that in a couple of weeks the weeds will sprout up again, I’m hoping the rape/turnip will germinate and I’ll be able to top cut the sprouting weeds. Think the rape/turnips have a chance? I think the rain gave a pretty good soil contact. Will fertilize in a couple of weeks, along with finishing the discing. Need to plant rye/wheat then…
Any advice is much appreciated …..
PS....Ford is running like a champ....

Turnips have a five day(avg) germination so with all the rain you have had I think the turnips will out compete the weeds, at least that is what my plot looks like. My clover plot on the other hand has lots of button weeds sprouting up.

As to the rest of your question, not a clue. Only good thing is if it is screwed up this year you can spray/disc/plant again next year.
Might not be cost effective, but if you or the weather screws it up there is always next year.

The 'Bonker

[ QUOTE ]
Think the rape/turnips have a chance?

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing I noticed in mine is that they seem to have an "effect" on weed germination.

Where I had mine last year...not a weed germinated last summer or even this spring.

Even soybeans didn't come up in that area!
shrug[1].gif

The corn did fine but nothing else grew...so I think you won't have to worry so much about weeds but keep us posted.

By the time you go back that stuff should be looking awesome!
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom