Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Planting fire break seed into seeded Rye

I planted some Rye late last year where my firebreaks would be for my new Crp seeding! I now have to actually seed my fire breaks! My question is the eyes not very tall yet can I drill the fire break seed into it or should I spray the Rye first? I will be using a no till drill!
Thanks

Not sure exactly but I know there's several types of clover and some alfalfa and some different grasses!

Knowing that the rye is going to take off in a couple of weeks and then grow like mad until it is probably 3' tall or more...and then die off on it's own in July'ish...I would think that you could safely drill into the rye now and it will actually function as a nurse crop. I would see your idea as a workable one.

Depending on variety rye can be tough to get rid of once it goes to seed. If that's not a concern it would work fine.

If you planted cereal rye... then leave it for nurse crop and drill right into it. It will die once seed is made.
If you planted ryegrass....kill it now before it goes to seed!!!

I planted some Rye late last year where my firebreaks would be for my new Crp seeding! I now have to actually seed my fire breaks! My question is the eyes not very tall yet can I drill the fire break seed into it or should I spray the Rye first? I will be using a no till drill!
Thanks

If you plan on planting a clover cover crop, or a seed used for deer food plots, then I would wait till the rye is up some and mow it off, then plant the cover crop. You could end up with a extra bonus of better hunting and a late green food crop for the wildlife.

The fire break mix consists of Timothy grass, red top, alfalfa, ladino and Josh clover, red clover Alisike clover and partridge pea!
Thanks for the help so far!!

Top Bottom