Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Planting in Atrazine

Tracker15

PMA Member
The farmer who planted corn on my hunting property left a pretty big area unplanted and said I could put it into a foodplot. The ground was treated with atrazine and I'm curious as to what I can plant in the open area? Are turnips out? If anyone know some good things to plant into soil that has been treated with atrazine please let me know.

Thanks

I know very little about Atrazine, but could you disk the ground now to hasten the breakdown of the Atrazine? Just guessing here a little...but I wonder if that would help you prepare to plant brassicas in say, early August?

Disced atrazine would be fine for turnips in most scenarios. It will be broke down and most buried if u disc it. I have had no issues with discing up areas and Planting late July or August brassicas. Same with rye mix, etc. Ur other options are 90 day corn which probably isn't something u want to do.

Atrazine is a broadleaf control chemical. I believe cereal grains should be fine (rye, oats, wheat). (just an alternative "late food" option)

The farmer who planted corn on my hunting property left a pretty big area unplanted and said I could put it into a foodplot. The ground was treated with atrazine and I'm curious as to what I can plant in the open area? Are turnips out? If anyone know some good things to plant into soil that has been treated with atrazine please let me know.

Thanks

Assuming this was sprayed in April? What would you say is the majority of the soil type is in the area you're looking to plant , sandy, clay loam, etc? Find out what rate he applied at? These will decide really what you can and cannot plant. Medium-fine textured soils with a fairly large amount of organic matter will prove higher risk of potential injury to a sensitive crop (brassicas, turnips, radishes, etc) during that planting year (April sprayed can still affect August plant)

Thanks! I am going to try to get it disc'd ASAP and see if I can plant into it in late July for Brassica's if they don't come in I'll try Rye and Oats in early Sept.

Top Bottom