Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Plot Contest ShedhunterMD

Shedhuntermd

PMA Member
I will admit I have a problem! It all started when I stopped by Bowman’s farmer supply to buy some crap for my fish pond. I happened to walk by their small deer section and I noticed some brassicas, I said huh, I wonder if this would grow in my woods out back? I said to my wife what the heck I will give it a try.

I get home and walk out back and crossed the stream and start clearing the under brush, mostly Spice bush. After about 10 hours of work burning the under brush in my fire pit the forest floor is clear. Keep in mind I only have 1.3 acres. Anyway I looked up though the trees and I realized the canopy was almost completely closed. I said to may self okay I will cut down a couple trees to open it up. Well 50 hours of work later I have topped out 3 trees, cut 6 trees down and cut 2 cords of wood. My neighbor came over and asked me if I was putting in a volleyball court!

Last Saturday I went to Lowes and bought 780 pounds of lime to raise the PH to 7, a little hint if you buy damaged bags they will give you 75% off, I spent $32, not bad. I also speard 60 pounds of 13-13-13, the nitrogen is a little high for the clover, but I think it will do okay.

I tilled the entire plot 2 times. The plot was very rooted and it took about 6 hours to till, and rake out the roots.

50% of the plot now gets light 50% of the day, a real improvement, but not perfect.
I also decided to buy 200’ of hose to irrigate the plot.

My seeds came in August 9th From Cabela’s and I promptly firmed the seed bed and spread the seed. I chose to use 4 pounds of Whitetail Institute Clover, 9 pounds of Whitetail Institute No Plow and the Remington bassicas that started this whole project. I realize the clover may not take with 50% light, but it is my favorite, so I had to try. The No plow will grow with 3-4 hours of broken light a day, so I think it will do just fine. I put out 1 ½ acres of seed on a ¼ acre. I figured if I tried 3 different varieties at least one of them should work.

PS another neighbor is now going to put in a plot!

The woods before clearing

1192BYFPbefore.jpg

The canopy before clearing
1192BYFPCanopyBefore.jpg

Canopy after clearing
1192BYFPCanopyAfter.jpg

The plot getting its first watering

1192BYFP1.jpg

The backyard food plot

1192BYFP2.jpg

Tools used: Tiller, garden rake, leaf rake, push speader, chain saw, and one lawnmower that is now dead!

Also I planted 12 apple trees just to the left of the house.

I also planted 12 acres of food plots where I hunt, but this was more work, and more fun!
grin.gif

Here is an update, I seeded the plot 7 days ago and thanks to the irrigation it is already 3 1/2" tall.
1192DSC05205compressed-med.jpg

1192DSC05208compressed-med.jpg

Hey!! That's cheatin with the garden hose!
grin.gif

Looking forward to seeing how everything does in the semi-shade.
Great job!
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom