Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Poll - NR increase

G

As you all might already know the Iowa DNR has Proposed Legislation To Significantly Increase Non-Resident Deer and Turkey Licenses
Quotas - which has implications for Your Hunting in the future.

The DNR has requesting this because they need to make up Revenue $$$ shortfalls.

Please let us know how you feel about this issue!

accidently picked 3 should have been 4. hope this keeips the poll % accurate?? and sceintific
smashcomp.gif

since there's more than one person out there who's almost as ignorant as i am i will go ahead and ask the obvious question...

what are the consequences of a NR incresase to us residents??

increased leasing by outfitters( more tags available=increased clientel sp??=more cash to lease more land). MIght not be a huge problem fo someone who owns 400 acres but for teh average joe, not good. also, more pressure which = more nocturnal /disturbed deer, simply put more competition for the same amount of land and deer. Most of us non-res dont want to shoot a doe at 350$ a pop. Trophys only is the norm. I'll take my chances wtih draw and the deer herd is it is now. Maintain quality I say.

Muddy,

Iowa is one of the premier destinations for trophy whitetail. People generally look at Iowa as they do Arizona for elk, Alaska for moose, etc. An increase in NR tags will create a commercialized hunting environment here. Outfitting services tend to lease large tracts of ground for their business, which effectively displaces resident hunters. Their clients do not have a doe harvest high on their priority so herd management can get out of control in these areas. The hunts that these outfitters offer tend to be expensive and typically this will keep a person of less financial means from hunting our prime areas.

You will also see an increase in out of state land owners as they buy recreational property for hunting. In many instances this drives up realestate prices beyond what Iowa residents can afford. I have spoke to farmers who are upset that prices are driven up by recreational use and now they can't afford to purchase land and still make a profit off of it. You know crop prices don't increase with land values.

With competition for hunting land, leasing will become common, not only by NR's and outfitters but also by residents. Residents will have no good choice other than leasing in order to garauntee themselves a decent place to hunt. Look at Texas and most of the other Southern states where you can't hunt a good area unless you open your wallet!

Iowa only has timber on approx. 1/3 of it's total land. Where the timber is, is where you find most all of our deer herds. It won't take long for prime areas to be tied up.

Iowa has an extremely small amount public hunting ground, in comparison to other states where hunting is popular. Where will the people who can't afford to hunt go?

Illinois is headed down this path as we speak. Residents in certain areas (specifically Pike county) have experienced this first hand.

By the way JACKSON county is considered a prime area!

Make no mistakes, trophy hunting is huge business. Look at how the DNR raised our NR tag fees and we still sell them out!

Anyhow, I'm sure I missed some points as this is a complex issue, but what I've mentioned above I am certain of and it is enough for me not to want any more NR allocation.

I don't want people to get the feeling from this post that I don't like NR's, because that is not true. I just feel our state should continue with it's management as in the past. It is the reason we have what we have, and that makes it a great place to hunt for residents and non residents alike.

893soapbox-thumb[1].gif
Ok I'll get down.

Hey River, Hate to say it, but you hit it on the head. I live in Maryland and used to dream of pike county, now I dream Iowa. There are a lot of people that will pay to play and can afford it, like people in Maryland. I can understand living out there and seeing all theses picture of monster bucks and getting used to it, but try to see it from our angle 75% of 1 1/2 year old bucks are killed here and we don’t have near the crop land or the potential that you have. I let 19 bucks go last year, I would be surprised if 2 survived, but that’s all I have to go on, I can just hope one survived to get a shot at next year. A 2 1/2 year old is a monster here ( 110") So maybe you can see why I/we want to hunt Iowa just on the hopes of getting a buck of a life time.

icon_headbang.gif

Colorado is a prime example of why too many hunters equals piss poor hunting opportunities for the average hunter. A-lot of Colorado can be hunted without sending in for a tag, just drive out and buy one over the counter. Along the way you'll probably get more sneers and rude looks from residents of Colorado than a PETA member would at a hunting rally, and who could blame them. Every year they are invaded by hords of out-a-staters that take advantage of the deer and elk hunting in the state. They trespass on private property, tear up the roads and trails on public land, poach animals, and then leave their trash behind for someone else to pick up. The unfortunate resident hunters that can't afford the huge trespass fee's, or don't know someone with private property, are stuck to hunt with the thousands of non-resident hunters that come every year. I know all this, because I've seen it myself. More available NR tags only mean bad things to come, and if you don't believe me just ask the Iowa farmer that would much rather lease his land for 1500 dollars a hunter, than he would let you hunt on it for free, and who could blame him.
CRITR

CRITRGITR,

Just think of the thousands upon thousands of acres of federal ground public hunting Colorado has. At least Colorado has a somewhat decent way to absorb it's hunters. Iowa has not even a drop in the bucket compared to that.

Question for the Adminitrators. Why is it that everytime I try to vote on a poll I get this message, ("We already have a vote for this poll from this IP address") when I have never voted? Do I have my settings wrong or have I been bannished!
bawling.gif

Critter, If I had to guess I would say Albia!!!!! I have an idea, maybe we should do what the Indians did by helping the pilgrims harvest crops and help the other states with their deer herd so they don't have to hunt in Iowa. No offense NR hunters.

Stick to your guns people and keep your cap where its at. Here in Illinois they are trying to get a higher cap also and im against it. I would much rather have a quailty hunt every couple years than have to deal with every "tom", "[censored]" and "harry" around every corner.
biggun.gif

Good luck
893USA1-thumb[1].gif

Don

Rack & LX shooter - I'm not exactly sure of the problem but I am making some updates to the software tonight and tomorrow night. Hopefully this will fix this isolated issue.
smashcomp.gif

I have bowhunted in Iowa twice. I have also bowhunted in Kansas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Alabama and Michigan over the past 7 years.

In my opinion the main reason you have a qaulity hunting experience is as follows.

1. You have a late gun season when compared to most states. Simply put, you are not hunting bucks during the peak of the rut. In addition, shotguns are the predominant firearm in Iowa.

2. You have very few hunters when compared to these other states. A good example is Wisconsin. WI has more bowhunters then total number of deer hunters in Iowa. 3. For the areas I hunt in the NE part of the state the number of roads/square mile is much lower when compared to similiar coulee country in SEMN, SWWI etc. This limits access and it is harder to hit all the good whitetail habitat unless your willing to work hard. Most guys will not get more than .5 miles of any given road. 4. In general, at least during bow season I have found very limited pressure from residents. The majority of people I see in NE Iowa bowhunting are actually non-residents. The residents that I do see are either trout fishing or squirell hunting.

5. Lastly you have limited the number of non-residents which prevents widespread tropgy hunting, game leases, reserves etc.

I also hunted Kansas this year and Kansas meets every criteria that I have decribed about Iowa. Both states are probably the two top states in the nation for Whitetail Hunting.

So I say keep her the way it is. Later

Benny, Curious what county(s) you hunt? Reason I ask is it seems like every farm in Jackson County has at least one bowhunter on it. Are you talking WAY Northeast? Maggs

Top Bottom