Pond and Plot Thread

Discussion in 'Whitetail Management' started by cybball, May 17, 2019.

1. cybball

cybball PMA Member

Having bought my first place last fall, I wanted to do a food plot. Place had a little quarter acre pond that was in a cave of trees with huge cottonwoods on the dam. Wanted a spot for the kids and myself to fish. I hired a guy to clear the pond and dredge it out. Phase one was to clear all the trees around it and drain the pond so the silt can dry. Phase one also included clearing about an acre of trees on a ridge. Phase two will be to dredge the pond, fix the dam and build a small silt pond above the pond to slow silt issues. Phase one was completed this morning. Super excited to start the plot. My daughter helped plant a bunch of walnuts all around the property and a few on the edge of the new plot. Going with clover to start. Also going to put my chestnuts on the edge as as well. Thought I’d share some if the process. First pics show how enclosed the pond was with trees. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaleb, goatman and Sligh1 like this.
  2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. deep woods goat hunter

deep woods goat hunter PMA Member

Nice! I did similar move at my place. IMG_0018.jpg

Sligh1, Jbohn and cybball like this.
  4. Daver

Daver PMA Member

cybball likes this.
  5. cybball

cybball PMA Member

Thanks. Yes they can be a problem. I planted mine along the west edge of my plot and scattered in some timber openings. I already have some but wanted to add more. Also did 50 white oaks a few weeks ago.

6. Daver

Daver PMA Member

Just another FWIW thought...I find myself continuing to eliminate trees adjacent to, or in, my food plots. Shade, competition for water/nutrients and leaf buildup, fallen branches, etc, cause me to angle this direction. I don't have a good handle on what constraints and goals you have for your slice of heaven, but I would recommend considering not getting too much, too close together. Again, totally a FWIW thought there. Good luck!

cybball likes this.
  7. cybball

cybball PMA Member

Asking a first time plot question. My plot is an acre. I need fertilizer for clover. My local coop only has triple 13. Is there somewhere I should look for better fertilzer (lower nitrogen) for clover? I'm new to buying this stuff in bulk and could use some help on this as I want to get the right stuff but don't want to spend a fortune buying it somewhere I shouldn't due to higher cost. Coop also had pell lime for $8.50/50lb bag. Looked like Menards had it a little cheaper on 40lb bags.
    I'm in Waukee, drive through Winterset on the way to my place. Don't mind stopping a little out of the way to pick it up either. Thanks!!

8. IowaBowHunter1983

IowaBowHunter1983 Super Moderator Staff Member

Coop can mix up whatever you want unless you have to have it in bags. Have you tested soil? I'd start there. $8 very well spent.

9. cybball

cybball PMA Member

Mailed in my soil sample Saturday. Should have results by email soon. I'm going to use the recommendation on that. Just wasn't sure how to go about getting what I needed.

10. IowaBowHunter1983

How big of an area(s) you talking?

11. cybball

cybball PMA Member

One acre.

12. IowaBowHunter1983

Splitting hairs then. Not worth going the bulk route for an acre. I use to see bagged 6-24-24 but not for a couple years. A balanced fert will work fine for your purposes. I'm guessing your soil report will call for lots of lime being former trees.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Daver and cybball like this.
  13. Daver

Daver PMA Member

Agreed. ^^ I would hazard to say that getting enough lime on this year would do you more good than the fertilizer. Don't waste too much on fertilizer if your lime(PH) is was off.

14. IowaBowHunter1983

This is true, however l, the p&k ain't going anywhere if not used so put it on. Clover is not that fussy compared to many things we plant. You'll get a "crop".

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

cybball likes this.
  15. cybball

cybball PMA Member

Thanks guys! Waiting on my soil results. Plan to get it limed well and will get it planted. Been frustrating waiting in a dry day to get out.

16. cybball

cybball PMA Member

Got four Apple trees planted, caged and painted today. Also put in 9 chestnut trees (in tubes). Muddy but a good day. Next step is to get fertilizer and lime on and plant my clover.
    Soil test came back low on potassium and adequate on phosphorus.
    Is there fertilizer around central Iowa that has P & K only? I’m only seeing equal parts with nitrogen or high in nitrogen.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

goatman likes this.
  17. goatman

goatman I hunt days ending in Y

Go by your local ag service. They should sell you p and k separate. Just me but I would take the tubes off those chestnuts in the fall to harden off and put on screen. Or at least pull them up. I've had problems with mice making a home in them during winter.

cybball likes this.
  18. cybball

cybball PMA Member

Got it limed, fertilized and seeded today. Pretty muddy but got it done. Rain tonight should water in the seed well.
    I’m wearing most of the mud. Time for a shower.