Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pond and Plot Thread

Went and checked my plot today. Wow it’s hot out. There is clover coming up for sure. Its not super thick but I know that’s how new clover is. Should I have put in rye or something along with it? Really pretty bare (little sprouts of clover ) and I’m worried about the hot dry summer burning it off. Probably too late to add anything else at this point though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You could add radishes in a few weeks or rye as you mentioned .

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Went and checked my plot today. Wow it’s hot out. There is clover coming up for sure. Its not super thick but I know that’s how new clover is. Should I have put in rye or something along with it? Really pretty bare (little sprouts of clover ) and I’m worried about the hot dry summer burning it off. Probably too late to add anything else at this point though?

I'd say you are kind of committed now, but if we continue to get rain you should be able to guide that plot just fine. If we hit a drought, then you might have to replant, etc. I'd just watch it for now and mow it if gets too tall.

Ran down to my place yesterday to water Apple trees. Most of my clover is gone. Getting it in late (had to wait for the dozer to clear the new plot) and our hot/dry weather finished it off. Little bit left in shady areas and some brassica patches. Going to fertilize, disc and plant rsdish and turnips end of July and some winter rye in August. Hope that works out.
79be46900b5f68adf70d450693db7392.jpg
. Plot screen doing ok.
ca590eee6e78e9a9e304254c9bfeda72.jpg
area where clover burned out. Little brassica left.

Looks pretty clean to me. I believe I would broadcast and roll it for brassicas. Be less weeds.

Looks pretty clean to me. I believe I would broadcast and roll it for brassicas. Be less weeds.
Thanks. I knew a disc would likely turn up weed seeds. I don't have a roller or cultipacker. I do have a chain link fence type drag. Would that do the trick?

It will work. Just be careful on how much seed you spread with that fine little seed it is easy to over-seed. Another consideration is doing half in a cereal grain mix around Labor Day.

Got my radish and turnips in tonight. Rained after we left. Perfect timing! Plot screen is growing like crazy too!
fa1cbb94d807c602c0bd89e4ee797f83.jpg

Pond work resumed today too. Dam rebuilt and pond dredged out. Looking awesome and about 20 feet deep. He is going to build the silt pond above it tomorrow.

0902bbc46813dd367f00538137f63467.jpg
08c62a4126c270cf15c099045232b67f.jpg

I asked this in another thread and can’t find it. So, my pond is just about finished. I want to get some seed down to build sod all the way around it and on the dam. What would you recommend being Early August? Thought someone said rye/fescue? Will that do ok now? Should I fertilize and lime like a food plot? Just need something going so it holds soil. Plan to add clover too as clover would be great on the dam so I can mow it and the kids can fish from it.
Thanks!

Oats are also an easy to grow nurse crop and not very expensive. I would not spend too much on fertilizer for something that is going to be under water as the pond rises. But see what others think on that too, that's just an off the cuff thought of mine. Rye or winter wheat can also be used as a clover nurse crop, I would go with whatever is less expensive, I think all three would be acceptable.

I think I mentioned this in the other thread, I would use a Kentucky bluegrass perennial rye mix with some clover mixed in. More of a lawn type seed but stays lower and the deer will like it.

Picked up a couple blends from Des Moines Feed. One is a rye blend that stays shorter. They said would be great for building turf on the dam face and areas I can’t mow. The other is a blend to mow on top of the dam and a few other flat areas. Also got red clover and some birds foot trefoil to mix in. I’ll eventually seed in wildflowers on the steep part of the dam after that starts to really take hold.

Stopped today. Pond silt dam being finished. Almost there.
ddde1f03ed2626dff1abec6906a25f1f.jpg
e4a4939693330f9ccf51f9d52fb41351.jpg

Stopped today. Pond silt dam being finished. Almost there.
ddde1f03ed2626dff1abec6906a25f1f.jpg
e4a4939693330f9ccf51f9d52fb41351.jpg

Cybbie - like all new pond basins, that looks a little barren. Now is the best time to add structure...just saying. :)

Cybbie - like all new pond basins, that looks a little barren. Now is the best time to add structure...just saying. :)

Already on that. Building different stuff now. Doing buckets with pvc sticking out, some rock/block piles and possibly some pallet cubes.

Got my buckets set up today and a concrete block pile. Should be a good start. Also fertilized and got grass seed down on the dam and sides.
9e0789a08fb3c9c4a5e70a6cdf90ec8d.jpg
f444aa4ff97503805fb12c8e206cc60d.jpg
cdbe42121b936abc4a7ca5880deb8e08.jpg

Got my buckets set up today and a concrete block pile. Should be a good start. Also fertilized and got grass seed down on the dam and sides.
9e0789a08fb3c9c4a5e70a6cdf90ec8d.jpg
f444aa4ff97503805fb12c8e206cc60d.jpg
cdbe42121b936abc4a7ca5880deb8e08.jpg

I've seen a lot of tactics for pond structure but not buckets like that. Mind explaining? They look interesting!

I've seen a lot of tactics for pond structure but not buckets like that. Mind explaining? They look interesting!

Saw them watching YouTube videos. I liked the idea. They are sprinkler pvc pipe tolls cut into 2-3 foot sections. Then 1/2 inch white pvc pipe in the top tgat are 5 foot. 1/2 to 3/4 bag of quickcrete poured in each one with water added. Quickcrete locks the pipes in and weighs the buckets down.
Seem to hold fish and are fairly snag proof, which will be nice with kids.
This is all one giant experiment though so I’ll have to share much later on how they actually work.

Top Bottom