Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

POND STOCKING QUESTIONS?!?!?!

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Have a new pond I need to stock this spring- 1.5 acres.
-Cheapest seems to be DNR. Good Fish? Easy to deal with, make it happen?
-Better fish from fish farms? Hybrids, etc?
-Are all these folks knowledgeable about varieties of fish, mix, etc. I assume they would be. I am more wondering if DNR is good about that.
Suggestions how to get this sucker stocked up?!?!?!
THANKS!!!

I was told by DNR to stock 100 bass/acre and 250 bluegill/acre. I waited two years and introduced crappie. The other fish have kept the crappie in check and growing well. My pond is 10 yrs. old. You can create your own hybrid bass by buying stock from two different places. Had some hybrid sunfish but they were gone in two years. When the bass got to 6" they spawned. So did the bluegill when they were small. Good luck.

put in a ton of minnows. should have put minnows in last fall. they would have reproduced a few times, and there would have been a huge food supply on hand

I wish I remember the stocking rate we used to establish the first pond. I'm pretty sure we put in 8 pounds of fathead minnows as feeders. Then, we went with hybrid sunfish, largemouth bass and channel cats. I think the DNR recommends these as the ONLY fish to stock in a farm pond as they are supposed to keep each other in check. We did throw in too many grass carp. I think they kept the water stirred up and there was not a single piece of aquatic vegetation, which leads me to cover. Make sure you have some, either old dead trees, rip rap, purchased structures, anything. The bass and catfish (and possibly the adult bluegills) ate all the bluegill fry and the population got skewed.

We had our wetlands installed and we stocked it by fishing in the pond, carrying the fish basket over the hill to release the fish. We started with bluegill first so that they had a chance to spawn unmolested, then slowly started to add bass and cats. We bought new grass carp, as the amount of plant material they eat slows down with age. We didn't buy enough, but we can add more. Our first pond froze out (it has a leak) the winter of 06-07 and we started moving fish back to it from the wetlands last summer. We have some high mileage fish! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif We moved one bass, one cat and many bluegills. We will add more predators this summer.

We bought the fish from Kloubec Fish Farm. I'm basically neutral on them, no glowing endorsement yet no negative comments, either, just stating fact. We could have gotten free fish from the DNR, but at the time, we were under the impression that if you took fish from them, you had to open the pond to public fishing. I have since learned that this is not the case but they do encourage you to allow fishing (which I totally understand).

I was told this by an acquaintance. I don't know for sure so check the regulations for yourself. He built his own pond with no cost share from the government and that he also stocked his own pond from a private hatchery. He said because he paid for all of it himself he didn't have to follow State fishing regulations and harvest limits. He said this is why he decided to have the pond built and stocked without any cost share. He said if you get any cost share when building the pond or if the DNR stocks it you have to follow State fishing regulations. Another reason he went this route is because he wanted walleyes and crappie stocked. The DNR will only stock it with bass, bluegill and catfish as mentioned in previous posts.

It is a rare pond that can support walleye and/or crappie. Neither are recommended by Iowa DNR.

I know the latest is to stock it first with shad and fatten em up with pellets for a couple weeks. Then introduce your bass. The F1 Hybrid (mix of northern and southern strain) is a great pond fish. Seems to have the best combination of size and aggression. Bluegills or sunfish continue to be the best smaller fish and a good population of bass and maybe channel cats will keep them at bay. Osage Orange trees (aka Hedgeapple) do not rot in water and will provide the best structure (much better than x-mas trees). Walleyes will grow but will not reproduce in such a small pond. Crappies could go either way. They are direct competetors to bass so you would definately want to make sure you have a few large bass and the rest are very healthy before introducing them, if you do at all. Pea gravel and/or sand is great for spawning grounds, as this is preferred for egg nesting. Good luck, I can't wait to have a pond of my own.

I should say that the people using shad, or bream, as a feeder fish are usually building ponds to grow giant bass. I don't think you can go wrong with Fathead's though. Grass carp will also be needed, especially in a smaller pond that will undoubtedly get very warm in the summer, which tends to end up being a culture pot for algae and the stinky green crap that coats the surface.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is a rare pond that can support walleye and/or crappie. Neither are recommended by Iowa DNR.
</div></div>

Anything the DNR/government recommends I take with a grain of salt. Some of the best wildlife/fish managers in the country are in the private sector. I like to listen to managers from the DNR and the private sector then decide what management strategy is best for my property to achieve the goals I have. This is the reason I am not going to use government cost share or fish supplied from the Iowa DNR when I build my pond. I don't like being told what I have to do on my property. I wonder how many whitetail managers were saying a few choice words during the last CRP renewal while cutting down some of their best habitat (5-20 year old cedars and brush) that had grown up in their CRP fields.

Below is from Dunns Fish Farms web site. http://www.dunnsfishfarm.com

"Our consultants have a combined 80 years of experience in the aquaculture industry and are always willing to help. At Dunns Fish Farms, we know our success is directly related to your satisfaction."

"There are two types of crappie that are most common, the Black Crappie and the White Crappie. The Whites are much more prolific than the Black. White Crappie in most cases, take over smaller ponds and lakes. White Crappie should never be stocked in impoundments less than 100 acres. Black Crappie can be stocked in ponds as small as 1 acre without any concern of overpopulation. Since they don't propagate to the extent that the White Crappie do, you will find the average Black Crappie will grow faster and get larger than the average White Crappie."
"The Black Crappie is a fish that offers an excellent sporting quality, and are even more enjoyable on the table than they are in the pond. These fish will not feed on a commercial feed, but with a good supply of Fathead Minnows and Hybrid Bluegill they will grow at a rate of 1/4 to 1/2 pound per growing season. A large Black Crappie is by far the most attractive sport fish you can have in your pond. When properly managed, this fish will add color to your pond or lake not found in most waters."

"For any pond or lake manager the Fathead Minnows should be the most important fish in their management program. The Fathead Minnow is a plankton feeder, but it will also feed very actively on mosquito larva and on commercial feed. These fish will not get over 3 inches long, so unlike many types of minnows, the Fathead will never turn into a predator. They have a life span of 14 months and will reproduce a minimum of 3 to 4 times before the end of their life cycle. They are very high in protein, insuring a high conversion rate, and they are slow top-water swimmers, so all your sport fish will benefit. These characteristics make this fish perfect for any pond or lake."
"The Fathead Minnow will enhance your pond life in many ways. It will help keep your pond in balance by giving all of your smaller reproduction something to feed on, in turn increasing their survival and growth rates. All of the larger fish will also experience a faster growth rate by feeding on the Fatheads. The better your Fathead Minnow base, the faster everything in your pond will grow. It's almost impossible to overstock on Fatheads, so the more you have, the more your sport fish will benefit."
"When trying to manage any pond or lake the Fathead Minnow will be a tremendous asset to you and your fish. Help keep your pond in balance, put the Fathead Minnow to work for you today."

"If you do not plan to supplement with a commercial fish feed, then you may choose from the following three stocking rates."
OPTION #4

Black Crappie
100 per surface acre or 150 if you are not stocking Channel Catfish.

Largemouth Bass
100 per surface acre or 150 if you are not stocking Channel Catfish.

Hybrid Bluegill or Coppernose Bluegill
500 per surface acre or 750 if you are not stocking Channel Catfish.

Redear Bream - Optional
200 per surface acre - deterrent to worms

Channel Catfish
400 per surface acre

Fathead Minnows
10 lbs. per surface acre minimum.

Grass Carp (white amur) see below

KOI - Optional
The guy I mentioned in my previous post said he stocks 2000-4000 fathead minnows annually. He said he had 15" black crappie in 3 years after stocking. He said that all his other species are doing great. His walleye were 12-14 inches long at the time I had talked to him. I have never personally fished his pond so I can't say I have any first hand experience with his fish numbers. Just passing on what he told me.

I think the key to managing crappie or walleye in a pond is to continue stocking minnows to take the pressure off other fish species and to harvest the crappie or walleye that are of eating size.

Another very important thing to remember when building your pond is to put lots of structure in it (tree tops, rock piles, logs, ect) to give prey fish hiding spots to get away from the predator fish.

If you want to just build a pond, stock it, and forget about it then just stick with the bluegill, bass and catfish.

However, if you like to manage everything to try to make it the very best. You can have other fish in your pond. You just have to aggressively manage your pond like you do your whitetails. Reguardless of what type of fish you decide to stock in your pond. Remember to take some kids fishing with you so they can enjoy it also. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

"I don't like being told what I have to do on my property."

Iowaqdm,
What does this statement mean? If your thinking that you have to allow public access after the Dnr stocks your pond, then you are mistaken.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your thinking that you have to allow public access after the Dnr stocks your pond, then you are mistaken. </div></div>

I know that you don't have to let people access your pond.
I'm talking about only being able to stock three types of fish (bass, bluegill and catfish). Or being told I can only keep x number of fish per day. The same holds true for how you have to manage CRP for example. You have to get written permission from the FSA to spray a thistle or to spot mow between May 15th and August 1st when trying to establish NWSG. They make you cut down volunteer cedars/brush ect. I understand the reasoning and time frames for the CRP rules so no one needs write about that just trying to make a point.

after looking at the DRN regs does it mean they cant help me out if my dad uses the timber that is around the pond to pasture the cattle and that he wont fence it off because thats their source of H20? if so where is a local fishery around the dubuque area. thanks.

Top Bottom