Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pope and Young Class Bucks

Big Timber

Just wondering how many of you have shot P&Y class bucks. If you have, what area of Iowa did you harvest the buck. What time of day? Morning, afternoon, or dusk? Finally, what part of the season? Pre-Rut, Rut, Post Rut, or early/late season?
Thanks
Big Timber

Mo-Antlertips,
Squeaking by or not you still should be proud that you have harvested a P&Y Buck. Congrats.
Big Timber

[This message has been edited by Big Timber (edited 11-15-2001).]

never had them officially scored and not a real fan of the pope and young club but have taken three. pictures can be viewed on my website. 98 and 00 buck were taken on 11th of Nov and 99 was taken on 10/31 all were taken in the afternoon between 4 and 4:30.

Go Early, Stay Late... Limb Chicken

[This message has been edited by Limb Chicken (edited 03-04-2002).]

never had them officially scored and not a real fan of the pope and young club but have taken three. pictures can be viewed on my website. 98 and 00 buck were taken on 11th of Nov and 99 was taken on 10/31 all were taken in the afternoon between 4 and 4:30.

[This message has been edited by Limb Chicken (edited 03-04-2002).]

Just for clarification purposes---there is a deference between being a member of the Pope and Young Club and having an animal entered into their records. Entering an animal does not convey membership upon the bowhunter. That is another process.

Doug Clayton

BT,
Thank you, hopefully in the next couple of weeks you will see some updates. I enjoy doing it and it is an easy way to post pictures.

One P&Y
south-central Iowa
November 11
7 a.m.
...buck was tending a doe.
The night before we received 7" of snow
along with blizzard conditions...COLD!

TB

I have 4 P&Ys. One was in Oct 27th in the evening, another Oct. 25th in the afternoon, #3 was Nov. 3rd in the morning, and this year was Oct 28th in the morning.

I used to hate mornings but the older I get, the more I like them. I just seem to see more deer then. But that doesn't stop me from hunting every evening I get!

I have been fortunate enough to shoot 3 pandy bucks. i hunt in central ia. 2 of my bucks have come in the prerut and one on Nov 15th the peak of the rut. 2 have been in evening and one in morning.

I've taken one, grossing 132, netting 125 and change...talk about squeaking by! Taken on the morning of Nov 2 of 1999 right after daylight. A nine pointer walking up a fence row in standing corn. Taken in Holt County, Missouri. I'd say the rut was just beginning to take off.

Killed a 8 point roughly scored 140" on 11/2/01 in the morning at around 8:30 after watching him bed down twice I used a can bleat call to bring him in to around 5 yards.

I took a 10 point on 11/18/00 that went around 125 in the evening about 4:00

Also took a 8 point on 10/21/98 that is 135" he came to rattling at around 4:00 PM

Hope this helps

Intruder

I've shot 8 bucks that would score 130 to 153 if I were to get them officially scored. Of the 8, two were shot the first week of October and the other six evenly spread out through November. Afternoons seem to be best but that's only because of my stand placement I'm sure. Now the Booners..... they're safe from me...... so far. ;-)
G6

Limb Chicken, Nice web site. Love the bases on your 2000 buck! That is a buck with lots of character. Good Hunting!

Got my buck the same day as two beards nov 11 01 5:00 pm tending two does in central ia.scored 154

Proving that you're never too old, my dad recently tagged his 2nd P&Y in the past 3 years. He turned 66 in July. Monday night (Nov.19) he arrowed one of the nicest basic 8-points I've seen out of our area in some time. Very wide, excellent travel in the main beams, G2's around 11 inches and G3's between 8 and 9 inches. Looks like the thing will score in the mid to uppper 130's. Two years ago he shot a 140 class 12 pointer on the 6th of October.

I now have 3 since I began bowhunting in 1997.

Nov 10, 1999 7am. 162 5/8ths 10pt came to a decoy. Was awesome watching him posture trying to intimidate the decoy. First shot hit a tree (I was shaking so bad) but he didn't run. Must of thought noise was from decoy. Second arrow was in front of shoulder. Recovered at 3pm over a mile away but had blood most of the way. Jumped him up three times and last time was at 3. Watched him go down for the count.

Dec. 26, 2000 165 1/2" 10pt at 9am. He was chasing a doe and had to yell to stop him. Shot was 35 yds. Hit back leg. Found Dec 27th at 9am over 3/4 mile away. Snow on ground greatly aided in finding him. Think he was father of the one I got Sunday.

Nov 18, 2001 8:22 AM. 10pt (probably 140 class) rest of story in topic Unbelievable.

I guess you could say I could make my life a lot easier if I made better shots. The two small bucks (1997 & 1998) and the 6 does I've had the privilage to harvest all went down within 100 yds. I get just as excited when a doe is approaching if I am going to harvest as the bucks. In fact I have two more anterless tags to fill plus one special hunt area. Can't wait to get back out.

I can finally say I GOT 'UM. I harvested a unofficial 138 buck on monday. It was a great feeling, and I thank all of you for your tips.
Big Timber

Top Bottom