Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Predators in the stand

I've shot a coyote with my bow 3 years in a row now. Saw one yesterday morning on stand. I was drooling...needed 100 yds closer though. You can bet if I get one at 60 yds or less I will let it fly.

I was driveing home today from duck hunting or should I say watching my decoys swim. Drove by this piece of private ground I have permission 2 bow hunt, guess what was standing n middle of bean field 300 yards from my stands a dam old yote I sure hope he sticks around for my next hunt!!

Sounds like there's plenty out there to be shot!! Id live to shoot bobcat that wood make my season for sure!!! I'd b happy with a chance at one or two or hell ten yotes this season tho.
any of u guys carry a call with u? Just n case there just out of reach or if the deer sighting is slow? I just bought a primos distress call other day figured it's worth a shot sumtime
I carry a squeaker and a distress/howl call in my pack. I've used it the last two years when I see or hear a coyote nearby, but not if I think there are deer in the general area that will spook. Hasn't brought any in yet, but it's kind of fun trying to get them to howl back. I may overdo it from the start. Only have tried during early-mid October.

You need a fur harvesters license to trap or hunt all furbearing animals. You only need a hunting license if you are only going to shoot a coyote with gun or bow check the regs as coyote is a continues open season
Yep, coyotes can be taken on your hunting license.

That's kind of y I bought the call to mess around with it in on slow days or if I c one ways out, a guy at my work had a hell of a Sunday shot 3 out of 4 yotes 2 am hunt 1 pm. that were chaseing turkey around behind him, seen a nice ten but just didn't work out the way it ended to

Had another coyote encounter Saturday morning. Looked like a female to me. Popped out at 20 yards. I was hunting from a brush blind, so I couldn't move too much. Dang thing turned and walked to my blind. It got just outside of my blind (like 5 feet from me!) where I had walked in front of it, turned and went back to the trail it popped out on and then behind some cedars. Couldn't get my bow up fast enough. Had my calls in my pack, but didn't want to make extra noise, so I just tried making some noises with my mouth. Didn't see it again.

Just had 4 bobcats walk by at 22yards in to the timber out of the beans -mom n 3 kittens - of course I don't have a trapping permit, n I was on my phone jacking around cuz I didn't c any for the first 1.5 in the stand! Happen to catch moveing out of my right eye!! Have to say that was pretty neat to c once they got into the timber one of the baby's climbed up a tree n relized mom was about to crest the hill so it hoped back down to regroup!!

The stuff u see n the tree really is amazing last week when we got the snow had a cubby of 15 quail come out to feed n the beans n walk right under stand about anywhere from 5 to 15 yards! allmost still can'tbelieve if I didn't have video!!

I've been hunting public ground and have had a camera out for 5 weeks and seen 1 coyote on it, none so far from my stand, which is good news, but where I turkey hunt on private ground, my friend said they are horrible, he hears m every night.I have to get over there and hopefully reduce that population soon as I get time when I'm finished bow hunting

I had a pack of 5 or 6 coyotes come to me a couple weeks ago. I let one have it, the others ran about 150 yards but were still curious. I made a kissing sound with my lips and another one came in and I whacked him. 2 ran clear off, but another on kept hanging around and came back to check out the 2nd one I'd shot....I shot & missed that one.
I only had one arrow left and thought I'd better save that for a deer, but I'll be danged if the the one I missed didn't come back & start kicking dirt and peeing on the 2nd one I killed. The 2nd one I killed was a big male so I suppose he was the alpha male.
The entire experience was quite a sight to behold!

Would have been a cool hunt. That is what I love about bowhunting, you see and experience so much in the stand. Getting to see big deer is nice too!

Now that wood be a badass hunt!! Iam still waiting on seeing a yote from the stand but hey there's always tonight!! Nocked n loaded really to let on fly

I've been watching a mink for the last hour. He's put away probably a 12 pack of crawfish. Pretty neat to watch him dive and get some and then bring them back up to eat on the ice

You did say "in" the stand eh?
925-bear.jpg

Anyone having any luck this year on yotes? I've only heard of one person so far.. Oct 7 a morning hunting my brother had two swing by his stand around 8 at 25 yards he dropped one in its tracks.. Other one took off like a bat out of hell...

Tonight was the first time I've seen any predators Oct 21 on public land, got settle in the stand about 330, 4 oclock rolls around and I hear something coming thur the brush, am hoping a big buck of course..turns out to be a big mature bobcat carrying a rabbit in its mouth 15 yards walks right in my shooting lane, if only it was open season, it went down the creek draw back up the other side n I lost sight of it.. Another hour gos by n the squirrels get back to to doing there thing, all of a sudden they all take off and start barking like no tomorrow, well either that same bobcat come back or another one showed up trying to catch one.. All and all I had a pretty neat hunt tonight..

That's makes 6 bobcats with in 30yards in the last 2 years.. Of course none in season

77a50eda26de9ed11782cac8c9d7c465.jpg
here kitty kitty!! I pulled cards on my last sit and let’s just say I definitely didn’t expect to see this it’s been a few years sence I’ve had any pictures!! One of these days I’ll get lucky and stick one with my bow!!

Anyone else havein any luck shooting some predators this fall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear way more coyotes than I see. A new piece of ground I have to hunt this season is loaded with them. Hopefully get a crack at one with the bow. Got almost full draw on one last year at 70 yards and it busted me and ran before I could get a shot. I was walking in to the stand mid day when I saw it, got down on one knee, zapped it with the range finder, dialed the sight, nocked an arrow and started to draw..... busted!

I usually see a couple a yotes each year from the stand, missed one two years ago just barely over his back. That's the only one I have remotely had a shot at. Had one go behind me this year about 50 yards away, I tried some mouth squeaks at him, it got him to look, but not come in.

I have had some real chipshots at bobcats though, but never had a fur harvester license so couldn't shoot. Warren county is where I saw my first one, big ol' tom, and I mean big. That sucker was big lol. Monona county one morning I climbed up my stand and as I was getting set up a bobcat climbed down from a tree about 20 yards away, walking over to a fallen log and stretched out and sharpened its claws just like a housecat would. Ringgold county one morning a very small bobcat followed my scent where I walked in in the morning all the way right up to my steps and then looked up at me. Most recently was Polk county one came running by me while in a ground blind, I barely had time to even realize what it was. Minus the one that went running by none of them were alarmed by me at all and all obviously saw me, they were more curious than anything. Really neat to see in the wild.

Buddy saw 7 in one morning from the stand. Shot 3 and almost had a 4th. I normally get a crack at one or two but have only seen 1 so far this yer. Heard plenty though.

Top Bottom