Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Problems with homebrews

TimberPig

I have 2 homebrews that started acting up last fall, both with the same problem. One is an S600 with a Snap Shot Sniper board (built in '07?) and the other is a P41 with a BG2 board built in 2006. Both worked great for thousands of pics then at about the same time they started auto firing.
The P41 I watched from my stand in Nov after just putting it out, and it would take pics as fast as it could (every 5-10 seconds) then stop for 10 minutes and start up again. There were no weeds etc to trigger it, it was just doing it on its own. I figured after the 1st time that it was just a dead 9v even thought the "tounge test" said the 9v was good. I replaced the battery and still had the problem. It will still trigger on animals, but also will go on a 40 or so spree of unexplained pics.
About the same deal with the S600/SSS cam. Put it up with a new 9V and the battery was dead in a couple days after filling the card with random pics.

The boards apear fine to my eye, but is there something I should be looking for? Is there a way to test them to determine the problem?

Thanks for any ideas.

That's REAL strange being 2 different boards. Battery would have been my first guess but you already changed that. Being mounted on a smaller tree in some wind has done that to me on occasion. Both of those boards have a sensitivity adjustment on them, might try turning them down. Also, check out the power/shutter/common connections on the board and make sure there's no corrosion starting that could possibly "jumper" a pic especially during high humidity/rainy weather.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anychance they got some sort of condensation in them? </div></div>

Now that you mention it, yes. I havent done anything with them since Nov except let them lay there with the case open. I looked at the pics on both cams from back then and it was raining both times. I use the Trails End(?) round case seals but sometimes still get some condensation inside.
After posting this last night I turned both cams on and left them overnight. The P41 seems to be working fine. The S600/SSS cam had a dead 9v this evening, but it was a used battery out of a different cam so maybe it was no good. At least it wasnt taking random pics. I put a new 9v in that one and it seems to be ok so far, I'll give it a couple days.

Thanks for the replies. It sure is nice when problems fix themselves! (hopefully...)

I already use those in all my cams, but they may not have been enough or I didnt change them out soon enough. Anyway, as of noon the 2nd cam is also working perfect.
Thanks

Mine have done that when the 9V went dead but that's good to know about condensation! I haven't had that problem so far with the dessicant packs in them... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sounds like it might be time to water test the inclosures. You should have pics with condensation on lens glass. If not; it's probably something else.

Top Bottom