Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Propagating cedar trees- Thoughts

I have not finalized a plan yet, but with a thick block of cedars I was thinking about taking some out and planting a mix of oaks, shrubs, and possibly some walnut to create diversity. I know it will take time, but that is life. See any drawbacks to that?

Also, by looking at the pics, how old are these cedars?
M-cedar 1.jpg

Attachments

• M-cedar 2.jpg
    M-cedar 2.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 149
  • Deleted by Hardwood11
  • Reason: double
Show…
I've got some about that size that I know are 30 years old (cause I planted them). I'm sure that is quite variable depending on how crowded etc... Cut it down and count the annual rings. ;)

I've got some about that size that I know are 30 years old (cause I planted them). I'm sure that is quite variable depending on how crowded etc... Cut it down and count the annual rings. ;)

I will have to do that, I love cedar trees, but this is a bit too thick in some areas.

Did the Norway Spruce survive pretty well? I would think deer would hammer them in Iowa?
They don't eat them like they do the white pines, but they sure like to rub on them!!! I've got some Norway spruce that have really weird shapes after being rubbed on year after year. Look nothing like a Christmas tree. :confused:

With certain deer, nothing is safe, certain spots on my farm where even red cedars can't survive the deer.

Regarding the op, if there are some mother trees, usually can find seedlings around. I find a lot in the forest where the birds pooped them out, and they are stunted under the forest growth, put them out in the sun and they take off pretty fast.

For the past few years, I've transplanted a few local 'ditch' ERC's early in the Spring that have caught my eye over the prior year. They have a really good survival rate, like 100%. I bought and planted something like 900 ERC plugs last Spring. My chickens scratched some out in areas close to their coop, and some didn't fair super well where ground cover grew in thick around them, but all in all, I'm pretty pleased with the survival rate I've seen this Spring, now that the snow's melted off. I planted them pretty close together in an attempt to create small, but thick pockets, and windrows. Within the next 2 - 3 years, if Mother Nature hasn't thinned them out, I may remove and transplant some to where necessary.

Norway spruce are supposed to be deer resistant. They will get rubbed on like all conifers until a certain size. I'm thinking that in a tough winter deer would eat them if hungry enough. I'm not taking any chances and figured I'd cage them rather than regretting it later.

yes I have done a done a transplanting over the last few years. Probably a few thousand, by hand. Here is one example... actually forgot I shot this video two years ago. 100% survival. I'm going to try a few things mentioned above to get the area in question to get a little thicker on its own.

Looks nice. Looks like you planted one bigger than the rest.........lol.

How high do you guys trim your cedar limbs for deer to travel under ??

I trim them so it's comfortable for me to walk through without having to bend down too much - I assume at that height deer can easily navigate through but still provides enough thermal cover above them during heavy snows and winds. The forest floor is 100% bare under those cedars which isn't ideal, they seem to prefer cedars with grass under them much more vs laying on the frozen ground. Cedars are a never ending battle - one day were figuring out how to grow as many as possible to provide great cover. The next day we're cussing them cutting them out of fence lines and thinning over thick stands! haha

Here’s another example of “past its prime”!! Ugghhh.
f7bbd401b0daf5d55a5480abf1a6d04f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That big tree in the second pic looks past it's prime skip - you better cut it down and I'll come get that log from you. I'll make you a nice coat rack out of it in exchange. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom