Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Proposed Baiting Legislation

I would like to support this legislation but they allow for feeding within 50 yards of a residence for wildlife viewing. I say this part of the proposed legislation indicates they don't care about disease transmitting enough. They can't stop a practice for one group and allow it for another. I view wildlife away from my residence with my cameras. If this can't pass with a total ban then it shouldn’t pass with a partial ban. I stay we should encourage a total ban if it is the best thing for Iowa’s deer herd. Also I would like to see a grandfather clause so those of us with mineral sight won't have to excavate them. Let time take care of it. Do write this thing like a big time enforcement piece. A little changing here and there and I believe this could a valuable move for Iowa. This is just my opinion, nothing more than that.

I would like to challenge the members here to look at this and decide what it would take to make this palatable to you. Post your thoughts in this thread and let’s see if we can give them some ideas to make this a positive.

Couldn't agree more.
If we do away with it we do it for all the people.

I also agree with the mineral sites. Lets use a little common sense
in getting rid of the mineral over time.

I am not in favour of this legislation. We don't have CWD at this time and If and when it comes to Iowa there MAY be some justification for the ban. However deer swap saliva and urine at the hundreds or even thousands of scrapes on our farm,(They call them licking branches for a reason) But, we only have 2 mineral sites. We also have several food plots that concentrate deer. If you have ever watched a deer eat an ear of corn they drop a lot of kernels that are cleaned up by other deer later. Also we have all watched deer lick and groom each other.
I think the number of deer visiting bait/mineral sites in the state is a drop in the bucket compared to the natural interactions deer have. I would like to see if the DNR has done any studies to show that a ban would stop or slow the spread of CWD.
Until we actually have CWD here, I don't think the loss of recreational enjoyment derived from bait/mineral sites justifies the ban.

My opinion is very much in line with Rut Nut. Do we have a CWD problem? No. If we did, is there anything that proves that mineral sites lead to more transmission of any disease? Through the years I have watched countless deer spar with each other, use common licking branches, rub the same trees, lick each other, eat in the same field, etc.

If we have a problem of disease of any kind being transmitted from one deer to another then the elimination of mineral sites isn't going to make a bit of difference.

“Baited area” means an area where any feed is
6 intentionally placed, deposited, distributed, or scattered for
7 the sole purpose of luring, attracting, or enticing wildlife
8 to, on, or over a specific location.

Sounds like a food plot to me. What if you intentionally leave beans standing or corn standing for deer. Same thing. Then end of deer hunting is near.

This is the dumbest thing I've heard. They will have to consider farm fields as bait not for hunters but still bait if your hunting on it so now what the farmers are gonna have to put high fences up to keep deer from using it and to keep hunters from "taking advantage" of it. Food plots will be considered baiting and what if someone plants apple trees that too. Also just seems kinda lame that they would say no to non . hunting baiting. Just because a bait site is there doesnt mean every game animal is going to come there all the way from BFE.

I think the DNR should worry more about finding out why our deer numbers are so low and FIXING that instead. Because according to this website and others Iowa isnt doing so hot on deer numbers.

I might be wrong, but doesn't most of the CWD start up in private herds of deer where they are penned in? They should ban that first before doing all this other stuff.

Are they going to throw in the kitchen sink this year again and try and get live bait for fishing banned too?

Tim Hull and bowtech150 if you read the propossal it would not effect any kind of planted food plot. But I still think it needs tweeked.

The captive deer comment makes sence as well. If you intend to take these actions to prevent cwd eliminate captive breeding in the state. Seems like the most obvious culprit for spreading. All feeders all breeder DONE!

Quote:
So what is the IBA's stance on this bill?

Till we get a significant number of members to respond, we don't have a stance.

If you are an IBA member send your thoughts and opinions to Prez Tommy Thompson at thompsontm@netins.net

This shows pretty clearly that the IBA gave people a chance to voice...

Last edited:
mineral licks, bait piles for pics, planted clover, beans, corn, turnips, or joeys attractant 50 yards from his house, IF THE PURPOSE IS TO REDUCE DISEASE TRANSMISSION DO AWAY WITH IT ALL FOR EVERYONE! We already have a law prohibiting HUNTING over bait/food/atttractants thus that cannot be the stimulus for the legislation. I for one am sick and tired of the DNR wasting time on crap and not dealing with the issues that concern many of us: the late shed buck/antlerless season, nonresident as well as resident party buck hunts, trespassing laws needing revision, coyote hunters trespassing under the guise of looking for dogs, too liberal of a doe harvest and the BS statement by our DNR Chief that it will not affect our quality down the road. We as hunters buy the tags and support the DNR far more than the general public. But pressure from outside sources such as the FARM BUREAU and INSURANCE COMPANIES are dictating to the legislature and the DNR what they want and by and large they get it and WE PAY FOR IT! DO YOU THINK THE DNR WILL LISTEN TO US IF WE ALL STOP BUYING THE EXTRA DOE TAGS? That would be the loudest statement we as hunters could make and it would be heard. Lets see them get the nonresidents to shoot all those does.

If the baiting bill is about transmission of diseases, then it should be worded to elminate practices which are high risk, like salt/mineral blocks, but not ban speading of such foods which would be close to nature, eg nuts dropped from a tree, apples lying on the ground or corn on the cob spread on the ground like you would find in a harvested field.

Last edited:
What happened to the proposed baiting legislation? We feed some in the winter and also put out mineral during the sping and summer. The farms are in Iowa.
Steve

That's it this bill is complete BS. If I can't run a feeder or mineral site in the off season, then no one should be allowed to plant food plots. Yes i said it ! I wouldn't want a deer to lick a clover leaf another deer licked & catch a disease. Are you kidding me ? Then I guess no more hunting over standing crops as that in essence is no different than a food plot. This will continue to hurt hunting in Iowa. This is already becoming a rich man's sport & this will only make it worse.

Wait, let me get this right. If you put a trail camera out over corn, hay, fruits, nuts ect. it will be illegal during the off season? It will also be illegal to hunt over standing corn/beans, clover, food plots ect? Or is it already illegal to hunt over standing corn/beans, clover, food plots ect?

Easy boys! It never went anywhere and you are all in the clear..............................................for now! Pay attention because i'm sure it will come up again next year! The bill had very little support, but it is growing as the CWD scare grows. In my opinion it is only a matter of time so be prepared. Just the world we live in!

Biggest pile of crap Ive heard! That's not going to help anything banning all that stuff. Sounds like abunch of peta people and anti hunters to me! I hate this stuff!

wait... so you people pay attention to stupid regulations? i just ignore them and keep doing what i was doing. it is completely retarded to fine someone for shooting a buck with a 11 inch main beam. ground shrinkage happens all the time. and corn? whats the difference between corn and a food plot? i'd rather hunt in the woods anyway. maybe under a yella acorn tree. PETA is a PITA

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom