Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Protect Cougars.....WHY?

all4s

Life Member
The Iowa DNR now wants to protect cougars. Why? What's next on their list, the range pigs that have invaded southern Iowa? And lets not forget about the morning Dove, thank god that's protected.
confused.gif

hunt on all4s

My opinion is that the general public is scared to death of Mountain lions and won't want them protected, but then again bears are protected if they wander into IA. I only hope to arrow one before they are protected.

HCH,

Can you provide a link to something that suggests bears are protected if they wander into IA? I was thinking that they are fair game but may be wrong.

Tom,
The information you seek on black bears status is in the opening pargraph of the link Ghost provided.

[ QUOTE ]
Mountain lions and black bears are not listed in the. Iowa Code as designated wildlife species.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if I'm understanding correctly, if I want to go bear hunting in Iowa tomorrow I can! Anyone wanna come?

If we don't see any by noon or so we can quit and go shed hunting instead.

If I'm not mistaken, cougars are off limits here in Kansas. But of course, our DNR won't even admit they exist in our state.

And they made it illegal to hunt feral hogs here as well
confused.gif
mad.gif
, unless you are a landowner and they are destroying property. Then you have to go to the livestock commission and get permission...how stupid is that?

[ QUOTE ]
HCH,

Can you provide a link to something that suggests bears are protected if they wander into IA? I was thinking that they are fair game but may be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
I called Mark Edwards Boone County DNR and he said that several years ago they removed the bear from being protected and they can be hunted just like a mountain lion can in IA. Sorry for the error.

I think they are a protected species here in Nebraska unless you are protecting yourself. On another note, a lion cub was recently found dead by Alliance that would likely have been bred and born in state. The presumption is that most have wondered in or through the state.

Top Bottom