Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pulling stands

gundog870

Premium Platinum Member
Well, I got the last few stands of mine pulled this weekend. I did leave a few climbing sticks in the tree and just loosened the straps. Just curious what all of you do? Do you leave them or pull them all?

I leave all mine up - just loosen the straps. I havent (knock on wood) ever had an issue with anything being stollen tree stand wise- I will move locations while planting food plots this summer if need be.

I try to take all of them down at least every other year to check straps, seats, and keep things from growing into the trees. The sun and weather can do a number on those ratchet straps.

Well, I got the last few stands of mine pulled this weekend. I did leave a few climbing sticks in the tree and just loosened the straps. Just curious what all of you do? Do you leave them or pull them all?

Pull everything 100% I like to look over and replace bolts, etc every year....life is to precious to take a chance! Plus they last a lot longer......

I have pulled all of mine in the past..this year, I am running behind and still have two stands left however

I try to take all of them down at least every other year to check straps, seats, and keep things from growing into the trees. The sun and weather can do a number on those ratchet straps.

This is what I do as well. Unless they are prone to being stolen. In that case they come down as soon as I'm done hunting for the season.

I pull the few that I have. Like others said the sun ruins straps fast and the squirrels in my woods like to chew on the seats. Just replaced my lone wolf straps this year and tightened everything up as well. Safety first!

I would pull them all. If you don't, at least plan on replacing the straps next year. Not worth dying over the 10 minutes it takes to yank it down.

So where is everyone getting replacement straps and the cables? I am planning on pulling all mine down also and know I will need to replace most if not all the straps and some of the steel cables.

Personally I haven't put up a permanent stand in 23 years I always hang the LW. With that said this year I plan on hanging two stands for my rut spots. I think it's best to take them down after season for safety reasons. Its not worth dying for or being in a wheelchair. Its should be part of the pre season rituals just like setting up cameras.

Always have to pull mine since I hunt public. If I remember correctly muddy stands will replace your straps every two years for free

Don't pull any of them completely out of the woods. Aug - Sep is spent checking them over (seats, bolts, cables, tow ropes) and replacing straps, re-trimming lanes. Takes me less time to check a stand over with new supplies than to haul them all out each season.

Starting to replace hang-on stands with ladders when an older stand is pulled.

Last edited:
Always have to pull mine since I hunt public. If I remember correctly muddy stands will replace your straps every two years for free

Just an FYI...I had great customer service experiences with Muddy a couple of different times in the past. Lately...not so much. I have had trouble getting them to even reply to emails. This is perhaps related to them being sold, but their "edge" is going away quickly.

I am surprised to see the number of people that pull stands. I have never pulled a stand out of a tree I even think there is a remote possibility I may hunt again. Once in a while ill sit a stand that I haven't sat in years. I do check them all every year, but never ever pull them. Just interesting.

I used to pull every stand, every year, but now we leave most up for 2 years and in rare cases, 3 years. We do check/change straps every year though and loosen them so they don't strain the belts or grow into the trees.

This year was a "take down year"...I think we still have 3 or 4 to remove, but most are out. I will go over each stand carefully between now and when we hang them again and replace straps, etc. One thing I started doing a few years back was putting the new replacement strap in place of the original, then installing the old one lower on the stand, so a lot of my hang ons have two straps now...and then I still go over those two straps with a conventional ratchet strap.

I am surprised to see the number of people that pull stands. I have never pulled a stand out of a tree I even think there is a remote possibility I may hunt again. Once in a while ill sit a stand that I haven't sat in years. I do check them all every year, but never ever pull them. Just interesting.

To me it's not worth the risk of not returning in case I missed something

I always take mine down before shotgun season. I have four hang ons and my climber. I think it helps them last a lot longer and don't have to worry bout them disappearing. A couple have the Seats chewed pretty good already just from during the season from mice/squerrials, if left out all year I would be buying new seats yearly.

Just an FYI...I had great customer service experiences with Muddy a couple of different times in the past. Lately...not so much. I have had trouble getting them to even reply to emails. This is perhaps related to them being sold, but their "edge" is going away quickly.
didnt know that. Was looking for stand for bow hunting this year and was planning on muddy, but maybe I should look elsewhere

Because I hunt public land primarily most of my stands get pulled. I am behind this year in getting them down and unfortunately have had one stolen already. It's a small public parcel close to an urban area so it's no surprise but disappointing none the less. Next year I will be back to pulling them right after the season closes!

Top Bottom