Purple markings for no trespassing SF288

Discussion in 'Legislative Forum' started by Fishbonker, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Fishbonker

Fishbonker Life Member

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. gunrunr

gunrunr Life Member

Seems ridiculous to me - in today's digital world you should be responsible enough to know where you and know if you belong there or not without me having to spend thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours in the woods with purple paint bucket! Looks like neighbors have to agree if they want the adjoining fences treated purple or not - not sure how that is supposed to work?

4. JBAGS

JBAGS Member

I agree 100%. What a waste of time and money

5. JNRBRONC

JNRBRONC Moderator

Put the onus on the trespasser, not the owner. If you don’t have permission, stay the off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. flugge

flugge Well-Known Member

Yeah, why on earth would that work? They dont obey current signs so what is the point

7. gunrunr

gunrunr Life Member

Seems like it only gives tresspassers an excuse to try and get out of being charged.
    "I didnt see any purple so thought it was OK to hunt here?"

Broot, JNRBRONC and flugge like this.
  8. Rjack

Rjack Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, that is the current law. It is not trespassing until you have been notified you are to leave. If your land is not clearly posted, you can not prosecute someone for trespassing unless you tell them they are not welcome and then they return again. I would rather see that law fixed, but providing a lower cost way to post your land (purple paint instead of signs) isn't a terrible idea in my opinion. The real problem is that a landowner even needs to post their land. As stated above, if you don't have explicit permission, stay off!

9. Fishbonker

Fishbonker Life Member

Passed subcommittee today.

I compared this year's bill with last years. I thought they were different but it is the identical bill to last years.

10. Fishbonker

Fishbonker Life Member

11. tmiler

tmiler New Member

This bill makes no sense to me. It complicates the prosecution of a trespasser and in fact gives trespassers rights and lessens land value. There is no existing requirement to notify a trespasser that they are not allowed to trespass if they are on your property without permission, there is no requirement to post. Look at code section 716.7(2)(a). The provision to give notice that they have to remove themselves only applies if they are there lawfully and you tell them to leave, then they must leave or its trespassing. This bill should fail. Two lobbyists are against it and the rest are undecided- why? Why would anyone be for this bill?

Fishbonker likes this.
  12. Fishbonker

Fishbonker Life Member

Remember undecided does not denote approval. It just means the lobbyist can "lobby" the legislators on a bill. The two lobbyists that are against represent the same group, the ICA.

EDIT: This bill is on the debate eligible calendar but I don't believe it has been assigned a day for debate.