Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Purslane in turnips

goatman

I hunt days ending in Y
I have one field of turnips that has a explosion of purslane. Is there anything I can do to weed out this weed? It has canopied my little turnips and affected germination. I mowed off the tops yesterday but they are already about back to height today.

Be careful with succulents like purslane. They can re-root fairly readily from fractured parts of the plant, so mowing might not be your best bet. Any herbicide used would need to be spiked to get through their waxy leaves and I cannot personally think of any herbicide you could use that wouldn't smoke your turnips. Hopefully somebody else has a better idea but I'm afraid your best bet, unless your turnips will eventually outcompete, might be to kill the field and settle for a cereal grain. Good luck.

Thanks. I might got by mowing as I used my lawn mower and it was liquid manure. I mowed high just to top it. I've looked and haven't found anything yet. Might try a test plot. Wonder when this stuff dies? Frost?

Think I would kill it and plant cereal grains and maybe throw in some radishes. Radishes wont get huge but they will be something.

Maybe try a wick - type herbicide applicator to get over the top of the brassica but hit the weeds with round-up.

Recent article in the paper said there is a local ethnic demand for purslane, it is selling out at the farmer's market, LOL. Maybe they would pay to come pick it.

Recent article in the paper said there is a local ethnic demand for purslane, it is selling out at the farmer's market, LOL. Maybe they would pay to come pick it.

Who knew? I might be the next Jed Clampitt. The deer have eaten some but they are way behind. :) I need my late winter turnips more than purslane unless its going to be warm again. They hardly touched them last year. Big green winter wheat field across the road had them all over there every night.

It does not like cold. I have a sneaky suspicion that a wick wouldn't get enough chemical to the plant to kill it but it's just a suspicion. I'd put together a stiff concoction if you try it.

Wick applicators call for a 50/50 mix. I used a hand wick applicator last weekend and within 2 days I could see the affects.

I bought half of a longer one 3 or 4 years ago (see picture). Made mine to go in a receiver hitch on a Ranger. The guy I bought the half from made his half to go on a quick connect on his utility tractor. I was going to do the same but make mine so it clamped on the bucket but went the receiver route so if it was muddy I could still use it and not tear up plots with the tractor. I have used it about once a year and I don't have much in it. Here are a couple resources- http://www.caes.uga.edu/commodities/spray/pubs/documents/Monsantohowtobuildpipewickapp.pdf

http://www.agrisupply.com/wick-applicators/c/4200053/

picture.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom