Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

QDM's Working

kbgibby

Threebeards
Thought people here might enjoy a photo that ran in Monday's Ames Tribune. Ed Rood shot the photo but the caption didn't indicate where in "Mid-Iowa" this was, but it did point out that the buck in the middle (the mangy/battle-scarred one) had already shed.

Apparently these bucks got passed by this year!!!

321bucks-med.jpg

Thats a whole lotta bone if ya ask me, wouldn't know what to do if that came runnin at me

[ QUOTE ]
I saw that picture today in the paper. Looks like somebody is gonna find alot of sheds
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my first thought LIV!

Be a real nice area to do a shed stomp!!!

Thefrgt10 and I were out shed hunting tonight and as we pull up to go look for sheds another guy just pulled up. We talked to him and he asked us if we had seen this picture. I said yes, he replied, I recognize a few of those deer, I saw them right over there. WE both were thinking sweet, maybe this is where the picture was taken. Then the old guy says, yeah the last time I saw that herd was about this time of year, 8 years ago
blush.gif
It was all we could do to keep from laughing
grin.gif

LIV
Ed Rood has a place south of Cambridge, in Polk county I think. I think many of his photos are taken there. I don't know if he hunts or not. This may be more a function of zero hunting pressure than QDM.

Don't know Ed but this photo don't look like Iowa or midwest deer to me, JMO. If I was to see that in a magazine I would guess somewhere in the south. The antlers seem to be high off the head and rather spindly. Maybe the genes in this particular area are like that but I am a little skeptical.
smirk.gif

Not to sound negative, but I would guess that pic was taken on some "mid-Iowa" deer farm. They look like they are focused on the feed bucket.
smirk.gif

Agree with nonres. They don't look like the midwestern deer i am accustomed to seeing. But you never know!

i agree with nonres and dor, not a whole lotta mass on any of them, even the older ones. couldn't be from iowa!

silvertip could also be right about a deer farm, i know it might be different in other parts of the country, but i have seen a lot of deer in a lot of different states(pry 30-35 states) and i have never seen a herd of this many bucks together in the wild(not even in the dead of winter) without there being a billion does around them, a "bucks only" herd of 9, c'mon. maybe 4 or 5 together by themselves but not this many, unless it's a deer farm!!!

so therefore i am guessing down soth on a deer farm
smirk.gif
cool pic though

Well Ed is an old friend so I just gave him a call to get the scoop on this debate. Headgear and Rackaddict should be looking a little closer to home that pict was taken in Missouri.

Tracker,

No article, just a brief caption that led you to believe the picture was taken around here recently. Didn't mean to stir things up ... just thought people would enjoy seeing the picture!
tongue.gif

Probably down in the Swan Lake CA in Northern MO...it is about one of the best places to see that quality of deer and that many running together. Eagle Bluffs CA used to be the same but hunting pressure has knoked down the age structure in the last few years.

The paper represented the pictures as central Iowa, so I'm sure they were taken there. Mr. Rood has a long history of really good wildlife photos since his many years as the editor of a small weekly newspaper that was bought out by the Ames Tribune. Historically I think he has taken a lot of his pictures in public areas like Big Creek. And about large groups, I haven't seen large groups of bucks like this, but I saw a group of does last week grazing and untiled cornfield within 2 miles of Ames. I lost count when I got to 50.

"The paper represented the pictures as central Iowa, so I'm sure they were taken there."

Just like the stories in the Old York times right? Just kidding you.
grin.gif
Sure would like to see a group like that running around my house.

I just thought that maybe this was somebody's way of trying to show the nonhunting public that Iowa has an over population of deer. You guys know how the papers work, if you put it in front of people enough sooner or later they will believe it.
smirk.gif
Just a thought!

That is definately a great picture. With everything going on with our legislature it makes me a little nervous if someone were to use photo's of grouped up deer for herd comparison's. You know, out of site....
Thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom