Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Quartering a Deer

Zim

OK so I haven't hunted Iowa in 10 years. Was trying to find in the regs if it's legal to quarter a deer int he field to backpack it out. That's what I do out west and sometimes here in Illinois. But I can't tell by the regs. It just says you must keep deer intact until it's to the processor. But if I process my own deer it would be at the processor when I am there in the field. So what up? Thanks.

I may be wrong but Im pretty sure its legal as long as you take the whole thing with you, If you dont the wonton waste thing my come back to get ya. Just a suggestion but I hunt some pretty rough terrain and I use plastic snow sleds to move deer and it works pretty good.

Not legal. I called and asked last year because I was planning on hunting pretty deep in an area by myself and didn't want to drag the deer over a mile by myself.

I don't see how they can do anything to you if you tag the deer, get your cell phone out, call it in and write the conformation number on it, then skin it out. I would like to know what kind of ticket they could get you with.

I don't see how they can do anything to you if you tag the deer, get your cell phone out, call it in and write the conformation number on it, then skin it out. I would like to know what kind of ticket they could get you with.

Good point.. it's just part of the 'processing for consumption'

Yes, this was exactly my thought when I read the regs. Nowhere does it specifically say you can't do it. As mentioned, the only requirement in written form is must be intact until it's to the processor, and I am the processor, so how can they enforce any violation when there's nothing in writing in the regs? I don't care what any CO said when asked. If a CO issued a ticket and it went to court, the judge is going to rule based on what the regs specify, not a CO's interpretation of a gray area. The only thing that matters is what a judge would rule in court and I can't for the life of me see a judge claim I cannot process the deer myself, and thus cannot be the processor.

Last edited:
Good point.. it's just part of the 'processing for consumption'
That was my exact argument. I didn't understand it, and didn't ask for the ticket I would be written, and wish I would have. But the person I called was the CO of the county I was going to be hunting and more specifically stationed at the piece of public where I was going to hunt, so I didn't to do something that he had already told me was not legal. I would like to hear other's opinions on this also.

Buy 4 tags and put one on each 1/4!!! LOL!!!

Interesting situation. Let us know how you come out.

hahaha, yes its legal to quarter an animal and quartering is NOT "processing for consumption". Just make sure its tagged.... You can't leave a usable portion in the field, but what's 'usable' is not defined.

Last edited:
I read it the same way......what is the difference if I shoot the deer 1/2 mile from the house, tag it, load it, drive thru the fields and process it on the deck or shoot it, tag it, process it, hand carry it to the house and put it in the freezer. (which is what I do if it is real sloppy out or if the deer is in a real difficult spot) But, you never know; I was stopped once and the officer wanted to give me a ticket; I responded that I was in full compliance with the law to which he agreed but said "That is what the law says but that is not what it means" I couldn't believe my ears.... he ended up not writing the ticket. I guess there is quite a bit of wiggle room on field interpretation; it would be interesting to hear what a judge would say concerning the situation.

Agreed, how can they ticket you if you follow the procedure above?

hahaha, yes its legal to quarter an animal and quartering is NOT "processing for consumption". Just make sure its tagged.... You can't leave a usable portion in the field, but what's 'usable' is not defined.
Is this from the regs or from the word of the DNR or a CO? Not trying to start an argument, just trying to find out what is actually legal. I really hope you are right because that would make things so much easier.

I'm not a CO. But, I can guarantee you beyond the shadow of a doubt it is not ILLEGAL to quarter your deer in the field. Sorry, I wasn't laughing at you, I was laughing at the fact that someone would tell you its illegal. They are obviously misinformed.

Let's just say from the mouth of a CO, "I don't know a single IA game warden that would write a ticket for this, especially if your deer is tagged. If you just took the back straps, that might be a different story."

Processing for consumption means trimming, cutting into steaks, and packaging. Quartering and packing is a part of the retrieval aspect and no where in the regs does it say you can't quarter your deer to haul it out. What Nanny said is spot on.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it... ever. :grin:

Good luck!

Im not sure about iowa but in some states if you shoot a big game animal you have to keep the nuts connected to the hind quarters so they know you didnt shoot a buck for the tophy then a doe to eat. Just something you might want to look into.

Saw a show dealing with this from out west (Montana or Wyoming I think). They had 2 DNR officers quartering a pronghorn. They stated it was legal and showed how to do it. But, what was interesting was they stressed, to be legal you had to also get the inner loins.

Would like to know from an Iowa DNR officer what their take is on the law as usually that is what it takes......their opinion of how the rule should be read.

Actually I mentioned quartering, in which case the loins would still be attached to the 2 hind quarters. However, I actually bone out any critters ive taken so far, and would like to do the same in iowa. I did learn that boning out is not legal in Illinois, at least if you take the meat to a processor. That is what he told me, then he took the deer anyway.

There are some officers who are looking for any way they can write a ticket. I have met them. There are others who employ common sense. I have met them also.

Well since I had actually made plans to quarter a deer (if I would have shot one) last year until I was told it was illegal I emailed the DNR get a straight answer and hopefully have something in writing just in case the CO wanted to give me a ticket anyway.
My email to the DNR:
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Segoe UI,sans-serif]I was wondering on the legality of quartering a deer to transport it out of a public hunting area. The area I am hunting is over 1 mile from the nearest access point and using a game cart wouldn't make the transporting any easier. Is it legal in Iowa to quarter out the deer and pack the deer to my vehicle if I don't leave any of the useful parts behind? [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Segoe UI,sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Segoe UI,sans-serif]This was the response given:[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Segoe UI,sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Cambria,serif]Thank you for using the Iowa DNR website. Unfortunately in the state of Iowa, deer carcasses must be whole from the time it is harvested until it is where it is going to be for processing (garage, locker, etc). This would be the regulation no matter where you are harvesting your deer (public land or private land). [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

I know that's the response you were given, but call a CO. AND, I'm certainly NOT promoting illegal activity, but I am willing to bet a case of beer (your favorite flavor) that whoever sent that to you is greatly misinformed.

I just read through the current regulations and NOTHING is mentioned about the said regulation in the response they gave to you.... If I missed it, please help me find it. I talked at length with a CO about this topic when it was posted the other day and he said there is nothing illegal as long as no "usable portions" are left behind and it is tagged correctly.

I really never thought this discussion would get so long :grin: as I never figured this to be considered illegal. But, I'll tell you one thing, if I were you in that situation, the deer would be tagged and quarterd and hauled out... :way:

Straight from the regs.....

Unlawful Transportation
You cannot ship, carry or transport, in any one
day, game, fish, birds or animals (except furbearing
animals) in excess of the number legally permitted
to be possessed, unless authorized by a special
license such as a Taxidermy License.

Retrieval and Waste of Game
While taking or attempting to take game or
furbearing animals, you cannot abandon the injured
animal without making a reasonable effort to
retrieve it from the field. You cannot leave a usable
portion of the game or furbearing animal in the field. “Usable portion” in this instance means the following: 1) for game, that part of an animal that is
customarily processed for consumption; and 2) for
furbearing animals, the fur or hide of the animal.
Did I miss something????

Top Bottom