Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question about a felony conviction?

Bukslayr

I have a friend that was charged with a felony assault charge in Wisconsin around 10 years ago. He of course lost his right to vote and his right to own firearms. He has now recieved his right to vote back as of last year. He wants to regain his rights to own firearms again. He was told by the judge at that time that he could right a letter to the judge and ask for the felony to be overturned or something like that and then get his right to own firearms back. Has anyone done this before? The situation did not involve a firearm or a weapon. He punched someone in the face in a bar and broke his nose. He says he couldn't afford an attorney at the time so he couldn't fight it. Can anyone give us some insight on this? Or has anyone gone through this before?

I think in Iowa you apply thru the Govenors Office. My son just got his voting rights back and got the paper work to file with the Gov. That could take anywhere from 1-2 years. According to his PO. Don't we have any lawyers that deer hunt??

I know two people who committed felonies, both would never do what they did, however, both know what they did was wrong, and part of the price of a felony is loss of your right to possess a firearm. They both hunt with a muzzleloader and have accepted the fact that they will NEVER be allowed to own a firearm. My biggest regret about the situation is that one of the guys has two sons that can't be taught gun responsibilities until both are old enough to move out and then purchase a gun, by then, neither will probably have any desire to do so. Hopefully your friend’s felony conviction will teach others not to go down the same path.

The person needs to fill out a form through the Governor's office. They can call the Secretary of State and they should be able to help them out. The Governor is the only one that can sign off on this.
If this doesn't work call Charles Hendricks at The Law Office of Charles W. Hendricks. Office number is 515-222-9900 and cell is 515-238-6300. He said that he would help your friend out if he gives him a call. Just reference my name Josh Brandt.

The guy committed a felony; this felony was for assault. Why would anyone want to help him get the right to own a gun again? Seriously, as gun owners we always preach to everyone, "lets just enforce the present gun laws and not implement new ones". I'm sure some of you will say he was in a bar, young, drinking too much, just used bad judgement, etc..etc...However, he was convicted of a felony for assault, if he chose to not represent himself properly, again that just speaks to bad judgement, again, ask yourself, is that someone you want to own a gun?
confused.gif

Why not? I'm sure some of these "felon's" are fighting for our country right now. It's funny how the government decides who gets to hold a gun and who don't.
rambo.gif

Buk,

I also posted under the PMA forum on this, but one can certainly petition the Governor for a pardon, but the chances of receiving one is very slim. Bronco, I believe convicted felons are not permitted into the Armed Forces, I will check to be certain but I think that is the case.

[ QUOTE ]
Why not? I'm sure some of these "felon's" are fighting for our country right now. It's funny how the government decides who gets to hold a gun and who don't.
rambo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The government didn't decide this issue, the man did when he chose to punch someone. That is the issue, its all about responsibility.

Maybe he ran into the guy that lifted my new my new Double Bull last spring...
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
They both hunt with a muzzleloader...

[/ QUOTE ]

Are these guys in Iowa? In Iowa felons can't have ML's either. Iowa law is more restrictive in this case than the federal law. I also believe a simple assault conviction will do the same thing as a felony conviction, in Iowa anyway.

As far as using a muzzleloader Iowa does consider that a firearm and cannot be used by a felon. That is what he was told by the DNR.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They both hunt with a muzzleloader...

[/ QUOTE ]

Are these guys in Iowa? In Iowa felons can't have ML's either. Iowa law is more restrictive in this case than the federal law. I also believe a simple assault conviction will do the same thing as a felony conviction, in Iowa anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am a felon and this is not true.I checked with the ATF amd they do not consider MZ as firearms UNLESS they interchange with rifle or shotgun.I also checked with the Sheriffs department and state troopers and they said the same thing.If federal law mandates that they are not firearms then the statute stands in state law as well.

I did some searchin and my understanding of the laws may be misconstrued.I still have my archery.I apologize for my misunderstanding.

Str8,
You're right under fed law a MZL is not considered a firearm, but if Iowa law states a felon cannot possess one, the felon can still be charged under state law and fed law will not intervene.
Also, regarding the simple assault conviction: most states, and fed law, define a felony conviction by the POSSIBLE sentence that can be issued for a crime. For example, the fed govt considers a felony any crime with the possible punishment of one year or more a felony. Most states grade their crimes by felony and misdemeanors, some misdemeanors do have punishments with a sentence of one year or more, thus, qualifying as felonies, and disqualifying a person from possessing firearms. A simple assault conviction in your state will depend on how it's graded and the possible sentence.

Top Bottom