Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

question on deer?

flugge

I was looking around on the site and saw that there was a deer shot that was bigger than Larry Zach's. But in the recent North American Whitetail it said Larrys was the New tentative state record. But what about the 254 Portwood buck(i think thats the name) SO where does Larry's stand?

The article in North American Whitetail magazine says Iowa potential No. 1 Pope and Young whitetail not State of Iowa Record.

bucklarry1sm.jpg

The Larry Zach Buck, 237 3/8 - 2000

The Pope and Young # 1 Non Typical with a bow is the Russ Clarken buck, 231 7/8 taken in 1994.

Obviously the Jim Portwood buck was never entered into the P & Y records.

We are verifing all of this as we speak.

The Staff

[This message has been edited by iowawhitetail (edited 07-15-2001).]

russclarken.jpg

Russ Clarken Buck, 236 7/8 - 1994

jimportwood.jpg

Jim Portwood Buck, 254 1/8 - 1993

Last fall there was a nontyp taken by Waukon. I talked to a few of the guys there and they said the buck was officially scored and ended up at 240-4/8
Jack

Dave Gordon Buck, Allamakee County, 240 4/8

I believe this is the archery buck you are referring to JLC. This buck was also taken last year.

All:

Jim Portwood HAS the No. 1 Bowkill in Iowa. His deer was entered into Boone and Crockett and Pope and Young. Pope and Young did NOT accept it because there was a lighted sight pin on the bow. There was other controversy but Portwood was ACQUITTED at a jury trial. As a result of being acquitted the Iowa Trophy Records recognize it as the NUMBER 1.
Boone and Crockett chose not to accept it into their records.

Dave Gordon last fall shot the deer previously mentioned as did Larry Zach and Russ Clarken.

The printed media is not all ways accurate. I was present when three of these deer were measured and can answer any questions any one has.

Bill

Yes Bill,
I have a question....How come I never see deer like that while hunting??
Jack

I think it is the Whitetail mystic. I have personally not seen a nontypical such as thes, but in the 2000 season I was privileged to see 4 Boone and Crocketts. Two were world class. One was harvested by someone other than me. That deer grossed 202 typical. Mismatch and nontypical points brought the net to 175. I missed him at 150 yards on the run in light brush. A doable shot but I didn't make it.

At least one of the other deer is still alive on public hunting ground in zone 2. Come hunt with me. We'll probably not see him but he is there. He is 27-28" inside. Something over 200" net typical.

There has been found (if you aren't aware) a set of sheds in Iowa that net 277 5/8. See them at soapcreekoutfitters.com

Just to let you know, if you go hunting with Bill, don't let him send you into the ravines that you can't see from the road when there is a few feet of snow on the ground!!! Hey Bill, I might have something to show you again this fall if you know what I mean. To bad the one from last season didn't stand still for your spotting scope! I'll make a believer out of you yet. Keep in touch.

Jack, the reason WE don't see them kind of deer when we are hunting is because they know who to stay away from.

In other words, our shooting abilities are known throughout the woods and are respected. What do you think of that philosophy?

That is probably the truth. I sure didn't distinguish myself with my shooting prowess. They were long difficult shots with a muzzleloader however.

Top Bottom