Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

QUESTON FOR IOWAWHITETAIL OR ONECAM

moosehunter

PMA Member
I have only been a member for a few month's but this has quickly become my favorite website. I visit here every day at least once a day, if not more. However, the website runs very slow at home. We use the phone line for access so thats a little slow anyway, but this site runs alot slow than the others. Is this because of your server, or is there something else that I maybe missing. I have ethernet at work and it works fine there, but that's fast anyway. I'm not complaining, just wondering if there's something I can do to speed it up or if there is an upgrade in the works.
Thanks, and keep up the good work..........
smokin.gif

There is a website that will have an upgrade for your modem. I forget where, maybe someone else will help out with a URL. My guess is that you need a modem upgrade. What baud rate are you connecting at right now? Click on the two little computers in the lower right corner of your screen with your right mouse button and click status. It should be about 50k or you need a new modem driver.

it will also depend on the time of day i think. when at work from the hours of 10-2 it's very hard for me to get on the website. when i get home to my high speed ethernet though i get right on, even during the busy times.

moosehunter,

We are gonna have our tech answer your question but our understanding is "the network - the internet" is as fast as slowest connection. When we check the site on a T1 lines we basically fly, but when we get on a DSL connection we slow down to a crawl when you compare the two. There are busier times and that does slow us down but again it depends on your connection.

Iowa Whitetail

PS, a few months ago we upgraded to a new server because it was an issue before that.

confused_em8.gif

This is how I usually feel when asked this type of question because there are so many things that impact system speed. The other replies that you received are all valid. Like one of the users suggested, when you are online click the connection icon in the lower right hand and it will tell you your connection speed. If you have a 56k modem you should get upwards of 49000 as a speed. This would be optimal in a rural area. Not getting that? One possibility as suggested before is the drivers for your modem, you should have or get the latest drivers to insure maximum speed. You didn't state what kind of modem you have but here are three links to sites that carry links to most of the modem manufacturers out there, and there are a bunch !!

http://www.1driver.com/

http://www.modemhelp.org/drivers.html

http://www.driverzone.com/modem.html

Got the latest drivers? A sad fact is that the phone lines in a LOT of the rural areas of the state are, can I say Crap!! Bad copper will give you more grief that anything else and there is little that can be done except yell at the local telco to upgrade your service to good lines. and maybe the lines to your house are good and the copper in the house is old and bad, again a recipe for slowness.

Another killer is traffic, and this is really hard to pin down because it could be along our lines or it could be your provider or anywhere in between. As Tony mentioned it is better at different times of the day. I've noticed here that about 3:30 when the kids get out of school things go slower. Apparently they all go home and jump on the chat lines instead of doing homework
wink.gif

I watch our bandwidth a lot and rarely do we exceed 1/3 of our capacity so this is not usually a problem. It's all about bandwidth and with a dialup connection it isn't often pretty.

Another cause is something I've been meaning to address but haven't gotten there yet and that is the nature of this site itself. the users glory in posting pictures of their game and the cam shots and so on. This in and of itself is not bad and in fact the management encourages it, it's one of the things that makes the site interesting. And truly you users are blessed because I know of few sites that allow pretty much free for all posting.

But there is a downside to all this posting we do and let me give you a couple of examples:

A picture that is 300x400 (pixels) and has a size of 72k takes about 19 seconds to display over a 56k connection, That same picture when reduced to 175x130 is at about 14k and takes about 3 seconds to display. Unfortunately we have a LOT of pictures that are submitted that run 100-150k (42 seconds) to upwards of 300+ k. (85 seconds). I have been taught that no page should ever exceed a total weight of 30K. We exceed that here with almost any thread that has pics.

So what can be done. 1) posters should make every effort to keep file sizes down. Most windows platforms have at least on program on them that will allow them to reduce the size of the pictures they submit. If the picture you have to submit is 640x480 and weighs about 300k find the setting in your software to reduce it down to about 300x300. If your software doesn't have the features to allow that, send it to us first and we'll whack it down for you.

I know most of you are interested in Whitetail and not graphic manipulation, but if you'd all just be aware of this and not upload your groovy 1MB shot of the largest buck in existence without thinking about how that will impact those that use the site it will help.

Maybe some of you could tell us what software you have to manipulate pictures and perhaps I can provide suggestions on how to manage your pictures accordingly.

Well there you go, I'll get off my soapbox now. I hope this will help, and if it doesn't at least maybe you'll understand a little better why things are as they are.

Have a great day !!

rockband.gif

earllee

First of all, thanks for your replys. I know my connection isn't the latest and greatest. My speed usually is around 45000. My computer is only about a year old but I am gonna check on any uprades for my modem. Again, I am not complaining, I just hate to watch paint dry. Thanks again fella's..............

Top Bottom