Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rape success??

Big Timber

I was wondering how everyone's rape plots turned out this year? Mine was destroyed in late summer so I never got to see results. I'm just curious if how well it compares to soybeans/corn.

Thanks,

BT

I seeded rape with turnips. The rape was eaten early. The turnips are getting a lot of attention now. Next year I may go straight turnips.

The rape was munched on in Aug,Sept and Oct. Started really eating it down in Nov. and completely eliminated it in Dec. I killed 2 does coming into the plot in late Nov. The rape was mixed with winter wheat and buck forage oats. The deer and turkeys definitely showed preference for the rape and I was dissapointed in the usage of the oats although they are eating it all now.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I will go with straight up turnips next year as well. I was always under the impression that rape was more of a cool season forage? Apparently that was not the case in my situation.

Glad to hear that someone had success with it.

Thanks,

BT

BT- I have never planted it myself, had the impression that it was late season too, something about palatability(sp) was better/more attractive after a frost. Suppose it depends on other sources in the area and factors affecting the other sources like cover, escape, human activity, etc. Pharmer

I've always heard that the rape plant stores sugar in the roots and then when it frosts, it sends the sugar up into the leaves making in much more tasty to the deer. Our deer picked at it some early, but hammered it after the first frost.

Top Bottom