Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rare Concordia Oaks Available Soon!!

letemgrow

PMA Member
Contact Jon Peterson at 660-463-7600 (office) or 660-909-3778 (cell). They will have 4-6 feet tall seedlings for one dollar a piece...pick up only at Concordia, MO here in the next few weeks. These will be bare root seedlings that were kept in a cooler so they will be dormant stock.

Jon will for sure return your calls and get you taken care of.

Some info on the tree:

Some info on the Concordia Oak....

Concordia Oak

The population—which is now known as the Concordia Oak—is located approximately one mile west of Concordia, MO near the north rest area off
I-70, at mile marker 57.6. Samples of the one-of-a kind oak tree population have been put on display at the worldrenowned, National Arboretum
in Washington, DC.

The Concordia Oak is among the nation’s rarest trees. It was
discovered by Paul Thompson in 1974 aiding him in earning a
doctorate degree. As a long-time botanist, Thomas was working on a study of chinquapin oaks and was intrigued when he saw these unusual looking oaks. Thompson made his accidental discovery when his vacationing family stopped at the I-70 rest area just west of Concordia,
Missouri. Thomson’s study of the unusual hybrid was a lengthy process comparing samples of the new oak to more than 10,000 oak
tree specimens from the Missouri Botanical Gardens and universities across the nation. The tree’s scientific name is “Quercus X introgressa” and its common Concordia Oak comes from its proximity to Concordia.
The stand of original parent trees numbered just 13 specimens and is only known to occur in Lafayette County. This unlikely 3-way hybrid took many generations to form and has not been reported from anywhere else in the
world.
Highly Desirable Tree
Concordia residents familiar with this extraordinary tree can attest to its pleasing shape, wonderful shade and distinctive leaf formation. It is also known as a quick growing tree with a remarkable reputation for ruggedness. In late January of 2002 Concordia suffered the impact of an ice storm striking a large area of the state. The Concordia Oak (seen left in the photo below) weathered mother nature’s fury quite well while other species suffered significant damage.

Friends of the Concordia Oak
With such a small population of extremely rare trees, concerned area residents took action. Marvin Petersen began growing Concordia Oaks on his property west of town. The importance of this action became
evident when expansion of the rest area inadvertently destroyed much of the
original population. Mr. Petersen, responsible for much of the drive to spread knowledge and preserve this unique tree, was joined by additional area residents who take great pride in this effort. Concordia Oaks now grow in Concordia public parks and additional towns in the area. They have been transplanted to memorialize Korean War veterans and as the
official tree of the Missouri State Fair Centennial
in Sedalia, Missouri.

Here is another Concordia Oak I planted last year at a friends house....this tree was about half way up the tube last year so it has easily put in 1.5 of growth already this year.

ConcordiaOak-2.jpg

I'm sure letemgrow will know BUT, I would assume it's some combination of maybe swamp white, Burr and possibly white oak???? I assume all 3 of those trees would be just fine in MN so I would assume these would too BUT Letemgrow knows a ton more bout these rascals than me, look forward to response. whatever the case, I'm getting a ton next year!!!

If someone from Central Iowa or South Central Iowa is going please let me know I will split the fuel if you can pick some up for me.

I am also interested and live in central Iowa. If you someone gets something figured out please also let me know.
Thanks

They are a 3 way cross, swamp white, chinkapin and dwarf chinkapin....I am in zone 5 (at the bottom of the zone) and they are doing great.

I'm trying to setup a trip down there. I have a buddy who is from around that area and is planning on going down to see his family soon. I'm trying to see if I can work something out and ride along or have him pick some up for me. I will let you guys know if it's going to work out.

Can't wait till next year when they have a mailing system... I really want some but not to interested in driving down to MO from WI..

They will be selling the trees from noon-7 pm at the aquatic center on Saturday. Go to the swimming pool and ask for the seedlings there.

Just got my haul of the Concordia Oaks planted in pots....if those are one year old seedlings....:eek:

Talk about some hybrid vigor!! The original bag they came in said Kentucky Division of Forestry on it...so maybe they are the ones that grew the seedlings?? That is a yard stick in the frame for reference.

ConcordiaOaks-1.jpg

Geez the Concordia Oaks are off to a running start!!

This one has already grown 2 inches from being dormant planted on the 12th of June!!

100_0302.jpg

Those Concordia Oaks sure seem to be an amazing oak!! Out of 33 I potted, they are all growing from the very tops on down and not a single one has died back at all.
That is unheard of with another other bare root oak seedlings I have planted.
Here is some more info on the tree posted here:
http://www.theconcordianonline.com/story/1738926.html
"The oaks are popular for several reasons.
For starters, they grow very quickly. A Concordia Oak planted outside the Concordia Community Center was a mere six feet tall in 2002 when it was placed there.
Now, nine years later, it is approximately 30 feet tall.
Second, they produce acorns at a young age. Some more common oak trees can take up to a decade or longer before they produce their first acorns. Concordia Oaks have been observed producing acorns within five years, according to Petersen."

"This fall, Friends of the Concordia Oak will again take a shipment of acorns to the state nursery. Bergman said it is possible the next round of Concordia Oaks might be available within a year of the delivery. Typically, they wait two years before the trees are transplanted and brought to Concordia. Because the trees grow so quickly, however, Friends of the Concordia Oak might decrease the amount of time the trees spend at the nursery and pick them up every year."
I for one am glad they will be getting them every year from now on, those 6-7 foot seedlings were not real easy to plant in the permanent location at my buddies house. :D

Another quote from the article...its a good thing someone was conservation minded about this special oak. ;)
"Before the large-scale efforts to preserve Concordia Oaks, Petersen's father, Marvin, was a primary promoter of the tree. His father worked for the state when the tree was discovered. Understanding the importance of the tree, he took a few from the rest area shortly before the only known natural population was destroyed. From those transplants, Marvin grew several more Concordia Oaks and gave away the acorns or seedlings to anyone who wanted them."
" Starting in 2006, Concordia Oak acorns harvested from the property of Jon Petersen, who lives a few miles west of Concordia, have been transported to the George O. White State Forest Nursery, managed by the Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC), in Licking."

Top Bottom