Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rare Concordia Oaks Available Soon!!

Man i wish i had some of these trees... Next year if they dont have a mailing system i will definitly have to take a drive...

Man i wish i had some of these trees... Next year if they dont have a mailing system i will definitly have to take a drive...

I have a few spots on the farm that have say a lone white oak or all regular white oaks, and a lone bur oak. Going to plant some Concordia's around them so I can hopefully collect an acorn in the future that will be a 4-way hybrid.

It will take a LOT of acorn collecting, planting and sorting, but it can be done. :way:

I have a few spots on the farm that have say a lone white oak or all regular white oaks, and a lone bur oak. Going to plant some Concordia's around them so I can hopefully collect an acorn in the future that will be a 4-way hybrid.

It will take a LOT of acorn collecting, planting and sorting, but it can be done. :way:

How will you know if it is a four way cross? Sounds exciting though...

How will you know if it is a four way cross? Sounds exciting though...

By collecting the bur oak or white oak acorns and looking for signs of it being a hybrid (faster growth, different leaf shapes, etc).

A bur oak cross should be fairly easy to tell when it starts dropping acorns as with a regular white oak cross.

Here are some pics of the variation is the Concordia Oaks I have in rootmaker bags. I would recommend anyone to get at least 25 seedlings since the genetics seem to vary greatly.

ConcordiaOakPic2.jpg

ConcordiaOakPic1.jpg

ConcordiaOak4-1.jpg

ConcordiaOak3-1.jpg

wow. thanks for the picks of the growth, it's pretty easy to see the variety...so good advice on purchasing 25. I'm going to have to do that.

Last year I noticed an oak tree on the ISU Vet Med campus that had produced an insane amount of very large acorns. The tree is some form of white-oak...maybe just one with large acorns, IDK. Last year it produced the largest crop of HUGE acorns I've ever seen.I cracked one open to taste it, and it tasted just like a white-oak...not bitter at all like a red or black oak. With the thought of whitetails devouring these very large acorns, I harvest a full bag of them once they fell. I stored them in my dad's refrigerator and we planted over 400 sprouting acorns this spring.

If I could get this fast growing concordia, to develop the large acorns from the ISU tree...it would be a whitetail bowhunter's dream.

BTW, this ISU mother-ship wasn't a one year fluke...it's showing signs of another bumper crop this year:way:

wow. thanks for the picks of the growth, it's pretty easy to see the variety...so good advice on purchasing 25. I'm going to have to do that.

Last year I noticed an oak tree on the ISU Vet Med campus that had produced an insane amount of very large acorns. The tree is some form of white-oak...maybe just one with large acorns, IDK. Last year it produced the largest crop of HUGE acorns I've ever seen.I cracked one open to taste it, and it tasted just like a white-oak...not bitter at all like a red or black oak. With the thought of whitetails devouring these very large acorns, I harvest a full bag of them once they fell. I stored them in my dad's refrigerator and we planted over 400 sprouting acorns this spring.

If I could get this fast growing concordia, to develop the large acorns from the ISU tree...it would be a whitetail bowhunter's dream.

BTW, this ISU mother-ship wasn't a one year fluke...it's showing signs of another bumper crop this year:way:

It may be the one I have got acorns from before? I know its on the IA state campus next to a sidewalk and it looks like a bur/english oak hybrid to me if it is the same one.

It may be the one I have got acorns from before? I know its on the IA state campus next to a sidewalk and it looks like a bur/english oak hybrid to me if it is the same one.

I think we're talking about the same tree...there was a "slight" bur on the the cap, but the nut itself is tastes like a white-oak, and they are absolutely monstrous!

I'll take pictures of it and the nuts this fall...and as always if you (or anyone) want some nuts from this tree we can arrange something. I work on campus.

I think we're talking about the same tree...there was a "slight" bur on the the cap, but the nut itself is tastes like a white-oak, and they are absolutely monstrous!

I'll take pictures of it and the nuts this fall...and as always if you (or anyone) want some nuts from this tree we can arrange something. I work on campus.

My cousin works up there on the landscape crew for ISU. Works in the stadium, on the grounds etc and he got me the acorns a few years ago. They are huge to say the least and a bur is in the white oak group. Indians used to make flour out of em so thats what I am going to call it :grin:

The leaves on the trees I have growing from that one resemble a bur oak to me.

As I had a previously scheduled event in Sedalia, Missouri on the fairgrounds I looked for the tree on their grounds. After a diligent search I DID locate the tree planted in 2001. It is an absolutely gorgeous tree standing 35 feet tall.

I had ordered a dozen trees but brought 25 home last week and did put mine in the ground. The next ones I get I will do the root pruning. I have some other trees that were root pruned. THAT is the way to go on ALL trees you plant. The bare rooted trees I got are leafing out and are taking off running. GREAT tree!!!!!!!!!!

As I had a previously scheduled event in Sedalia, Missouri on the fairgrounds I looked for the tree on their grounds. After a diligent search I DID locate the tree planted in 2001. It is an absolutely gorgeous tree standing 35 feet tall.

I had ordered a dozen trees but brought 25 home last week and did put mine in the ground. The next ones I get I will do the root pruning. I have some other trees that were root pruned. THAT is the way to go on ALL trees you plant. The bare rooted trees I got are leafing out and are taking off running. GREAT tree!!!!!!!!!!

A tree planted in 2001 is 35 feet tall? It is an oak hybrid? Any more details? That is amazing.

It IS amazing. It is absoultely gorgeous. You can see it at the DOT garden just south of the Conservation Building on the Missouri State Fairgrounds at Sedalia, Mo.

It was probably6-8 feet tall when it was planted there in 2001 for their Centennial Fair. A plaque on a rock was installed at the time. It WAS a bit of a challenge to find it inasmuch as almost no one connected to the fair currently knew they had it let alone where it was. The son of the man who planted it couldn't find it when he looked for it. It IS in plain sight when you get to the right place.

At this point it may be two years before more trees are available as I understand it. Concordia Oaks are prolific acorn producers and there ARE acorns on this tree!!!!!!!!

A tree planted in 2001 is 35 feet tall? It is an oak hybrid? Any more details? That is amazing.

Yeah its the 3-way hybrid oak....The Concordia Oak. From what I can tell, it seems to be more vigorous that most oaks I have planted in the white oak family. :way:

How the guy ever determined it to be a 3-way hybrid oak is beyond me....I have trouble telling a 2-way hybrid oak from a regular species oak :D

Yeah its the 3-way hybrid oak....The Concordia Oak. From what I can tell, it seems to be more vigorous that most oaks I have planted in the white oak family. :way:

Ok, I re-read that it was a concordia oak, planted in 2001, who planted it and was it from the original source. Is it realistic to expect similar growth from the seedlings you are picking up/growing?

You NEED to read the whole post or do a Google search for Concordia Oak tree for the answers to your questions. Please, why does it matter who planted the tree?

concordia oak

You NEED to read the whole post or do a Google search for Concordia Oak tree for the answers to your questions. Please, why does it matter who planted the tree?

I DID read the whole post, but there is a mention of a bur english hybrid at this location and a concordia oak at this location. I'm not from Iowa or Missouri, so that means nothing to me. I just want to know which one grows faster and produces acorns the fastest, I do not care who planted the tree, but if it was already 8 feet tall, and it is manicured, watered etc... I guess I can see how it would grow that fast.

Letemgrow answers plenty of questions and is never rude, so please let him answer questions on this topic thanks.

I DID read the whole post, but there is a mention of a bur english hybrid at this location and a concordia oak at this location. I'm not from Iowa or Missouri, so that means nothing to me. I just want to know which one grows faster and produces acorns the fastest, I do not care who planted the tree, but if it was already 8 feet tall, and it is manicured, watered etc... I guess I can see how it would grow that fast.

Letemgrow answers plenty of questions and is never rude, so please let him answer questions on this topic thanks.

It won't hunt anything to try a few Hardwood. Swamp white oak is hardy a long ways north so the Concordia Oaks would be worth a shot IMO.

How the guy ever determined it to be a 3-way hybrid oak is beyond me....I have trouble telling a 2-way hybrid oak from a regular species oak :D

I could be wrong Phil but I think they use DNA testing to determine hybrids? My foresters mention that from time to time so that may be how they verified it. Imagine how many other unnoticed, unverified hybrids there are across the nation!:way:

I'm spoon feeding my Concordias! :D

Top Bottom