Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rare Concordia Oaks Available Soon!!

Are these trees still available to be planted this year? I noticed you said you planted some last week. Also can they be planted in the fall or are they only available spring or until they run out of trees?

I could be wrong Phil but I think they use DNA testing to determine hybrids? My foresters mention that from time to time so that may be how they verified it. Imagine how many other unnoticed, unverified hybrids there are across the nation!:way:

I'm spoon feeding my Concordias! :D

I have a copy of his scientific research paper and I never saw any mention of DNA testing? I know he compared it to 10,000 specimens which is enough work anyways for me. :grin:

Think I may have found a burxswamp white hybrid on my place. At least the leaves match other hybrids I have seen and its growing between a bur and swamp white oak...loaded with acorns too so time will tell once they mature.

Last edited:
Are these trees still available to be planted this year? I noticed you said you planted some last week. Also can they be planted in the fall or are they only available spring or until they run out of trees?

They may be available until they run out of trees?? The number is on the first page to get in touch with Jon and see. Otherwise, they will not be available until next year is what I got from them.

I planted mine July 9, 2011. When I contacted them this week, I was told that they were doing an inventory and did not know if there are any left for this year. AND it could possibly be two years before they have some again. These trees are two years old and it seemed like there weren't any planted to be available next year.

I suggest you ALL follow letemgrow's advice about contacting Jon Peterson with your questions. That would be a much more reliable information source than quizzing letemgrow or I. I DID locate the Concordia Oaks on the Missouri State Fairgrounds. The administration and staff had NO clue that they had the trees thus they have received NO pampering. And I might add that Mr. Peterson had been unable to find them when he made an attempt to find the one his father had planted in 2001.

My trees have just taken off like a rocket. With the benefit of hindsight, I believe I would have tried root pruning these before I planted them. I have some root pruned trees I planted last season and am REALLY impressed with their performance.

As I had a previously scheduled event in Sedalia, Missouri on the fairgrounds I looked for the tree on their grounds. After a diligent search I DID locate the tree planted in 2001. It is an absolutely gorgeous tree standing 35 feet tall.

I had ordered a dozen trees but brought 25 home last week and did put mine in the ground. The next ones I get I will do the root pruning. I have some other trees that were root pruned. THAT is the way to go on ALL trees you plant. The bare rooted trees I got are leafing out and are taking off running. GREAT tree!!!!!!!!!!

Were yours planting in IA?

This Concordia seems to lean towards the chinkapin oak looks like to me.

ConcordiaOak1-3.jpg

Can't wait to see how well they do up there. Mine at the farm are about 2 miles from the IA/MO line and they are growing very well there.

Top Bottom