Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ready for Youth Season?

kelcher

Who has the birds all scouted out? We have some that are within calling distance, but definitely gonna have to sound pretty. Hopefully they move a little closer in the next week.

Good luck to all of you young guys and gals

Uhg... kids have been practicing but not patterning like I want to see. Hopefully the planets align Saturday morning!

Uhg... kids have been practicing but not patterning like I want to see. Hopefully the planets align Saturday morning!

Just an FWIW, from an old dad :) that went on more than a few youth hunts over the years...

Since it looks to be quite cold this Saturday AM, perhaps it would be better to go out a little later in the morning. Normally, I have experienced rather slow conditions in that type of cold. But starting a hunt at say 9:30A could be a little easier on the youngsters AND warmer AND perhaps better hunting. Good luck any way!

Just an FWIW, from an old dad :) that went on more than a few youth hunts over the years...

Since it looks to be quite cold this Saturday AM, perhaps it would be better to go out a little later in the morning. Normally, I have experienced rather slow conditions in that type of cold. But starting a hunt at say 9:30A could be a little easier on the youngsters AND warmer AND perhaps better hunting. Good luck any way!

Been eyeballing weather for 15 days, if it's not windy we'll likely give Saturday a good solid try. Not dealing with snow on Sunday unless kids want to.

I have the heater all ready for the blind! This will be the coldest youth opener that we have gone on.

Daver
I was thinking about doing just that. I was wondering how responsive and vocal the birds would even be this weekend and if it would even be worth going.

Daver
I was thinking about doing just that. I was wondering how responsive and vocal the birds would even be this weekend and if it would even be worth going.

You could still have good luck early AM...but on unseasonably cold mornings like what looks like is coming on this Saturday...I can remember multiple times hearing little to nothing early and then once the sun gets up...BOOM...they come alive. Also, I have always said that I will take one gobble at 10:00A v. 100 on the roost. In my experience, you can very often kill a bird that gobbles at 10:00A, or later, v. Mr. Loudmouth on the roost. Have fun and stay warm!

We have soccer games to deal with along with turkey season. Tough to get it all in so we will be out early and hopefully done early

Top Bottom