Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Reconyx Hyperfire Cams? Thoughts, price?

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
HC500 has the low-glow and HC600 has no glow. Details:
http://www.reconyx.com/hyperfire.php?model=HC&id=61

Anyone used these? Totally happy?
Is the only reason to buy the 600 - just to get no glow? That's probably not huge for me SO I'd rather save $ for HC500.
I'm considering these because I haven't found anyone having problems and like Coverts- the batteries last forever- AA's. Seems like a top quality cam. They are also little too- almost as tiny as Coverts. Thoughts on these cams?

Ok, MAJOR DRAWBACK.... PRICE!!! Wow! If I have to pay anywhere near that retail, I'm not getting them, I can buy 4 Bushnell 5mp trophy cams for that. BUT- where are y'all seeing these the cheapest? My buddy claims his cost was like $290-$335 or something on the HC500 (ok, maybe I shouldn't say that BUT oh well) and I could get for somewhere around $300 to $350. Does that sound like a good deal? It's a bit of a pain to get from him (another state) so if there's any sources here, I'd sure be curious. I'm just not spending 450-550 for a cam!

Lastly, since NEW stuff is coming out soon for 2011 - would you wait to see if price dropped? I'm almost for sure gonna hold out for month or 2 on new stuff. AND- do you have any knowledge that something cooler, better or revolutionary is coming out for 2011? I'll wait either way BUT not sure if y'all had opinion on future pricing and new products in a few months.

Let me know the scoop on these rascals. Thanks!

Once you go black flash you'll never go back...

I believe you only buy 1 or 2 for spots on trails where there is no reason for a deer to stop ie. scrape, mineral, etc..

If there is a reason for the deer to stop, pick up something like a bushnell, cuddeback, moultrie, whatever you want that is cheap and efficient. The Reconyx are the best (IMO) but you don't need 10 of them. I haven't had the ability to do a lot of testing with red glow IR cameras but from what I read, I'm going to be more safe then sorry and buy the 600. You are already spending a lot, don't sacrifice a buck not coming back to a spot because of the red blob.

Deer will not spook with the black flash. I believe there will be some new alternatives in 2011. Another option is the UWay NT50B although it is not nearly as refined as the reconyx it will offer black flash. I've also heard rumores of the next Primos X cams coming with black flash next year and other manufactures will jump on the wagon soon.

Just a couple of other options to look out for....

I have four of them and compared to other IR cameras out there..........unbelievable. For $300 - $350 you can't go wrong.

Once you start using Reconyx cameras you won't go back. They are worth the extra money. They are very reliable and have excellent battery life. I've got some of the 500's and 600's that have been out since this summer. Batteries are still going strong.

If you are going to be putting them on a scrape or trail and you don't want to alter a buck's pattern, I'd go with the 600's. If they are out in the open looking over a food plot, the 500's are good. I always use the 600's if in doubt. Bucks don't notice them and will keep coming back to a scrape over and over.

DTR-Have you noticed the glow on the 500's "scaring" anything? I've only read, I haven't experienced, so I'd really like to have an opinion of someone who has experience.

My experience with other IR's is the same as yours it appears, deer seem to have no concern over food/mineral/etc. but if you catch them on a trail they will avoid it.

Skip,
I have two of the HC 600 and I will never use another camera. They are simply awesome. I am buying 2 more and Weasel is even buying two as tight as he is... :D

I agree. I had a hard time laying down the money with the risk of theif. But, I use them on my property only, so feel pretty safe. I also bought the box and cable.
There slogan is correct. "See what you been missing"
I bought the new 600 and plan on buying two more next year.

I have several Cuddyback Excites, Scoutguards, and tried the Primos 46 They have all been in the shop for repair. The cuddy backs when it's cold batterys are lucky to last 3 weeks. And then when you check the batteries they show a charge of 1.3V and are at 25% or have failed.

When I pulled my first card after only 5 days I had over 1000 pictures. My first thought was I am going to have nothing on these pictures except grass blowing in the wind. To my surprise 95% of them had a animal it it.

The trigger speed is so quick it would catch a running doe coming buy and seconds later a buck would fly buy. I could see the rut kicking in.

I have had my camera out now for 30 days and have taken well over 10,000 pictures and have a battery life still at 99% using lithium batterys.

You will not be disappointed.

I have owned/used all but two brands of trail cameras, Primos and Reconyx. I'm just gonna buy the Reconyx next and toss the rest. All the cameras I've owned there has always been one or two drawbacks to each brand. One of my buddies has 3 Reconyx cameras and the pics he shows me are unbelievable! He has had zero problems with them and his oldest is almost 3 years old. I'm breakin' the piggy bank and buying a Reconyx.

Weasel is even buying two as tight as he is..

:D:D

A friend of mine just had one of these great cams stolen so I would make sure you have a good case/cable/chain etc. on these babies.

Bad enough to lose a cheap cam but having one of these stolen would make me cry! ;)

Top Bottom