Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Reloading question

bjkpharmd

Post on ammo prices has renewed my interest in reloading, I have always done my own shotgun shells- using an old Pacific with six stations. Would like to start doing handgun and rifle reloading. What brand do you like and why? Hornady or RCBS or is there another I should be looking at?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pharmer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Post on ammo prices has renewed my interest in reloading, I have always done my own shotgun shells- using an old Pacific with six stations. Would like to start doing handgun and rifle reloading. What brand do you like and why? Hornady or RCBS or is there another I should be looking at? </div></div>

Me too. Infact I was looking for 450 Bushmaster brass, dies etc but they aren't avaiable. I watched a couple of vidieos on the RCBS site and was quite impressed. I haven't looked a Hornady yet, but the FAQs on RCBS sounded like they have a great customer service program. You screw it up and they fix it for free.

The 'Bonker

Now were talking about my original addiction before this whole bow/food plot thing came a long...lol I would reload for days to cut a 1/4" off a group. Sick I know....

I would suggest a RCBS Rock Crusher press, a Harrell powder thrower and a middle of the road digital scale. RCBS makes all around good equipment. If you want to go high end quality only, order a Sinclair International catalog. No junk in that thing...

If you’re going to shoot lots of rounds thru a semi auto something, order a Dillon progressive press. They have the best warranty in the firearms business. If you break it, they will ship you a new part free. Dillon also has a nice catalog.

The new Hodgdon Extreme line of powder is excellent in a wide range of temps. Vihtavuori powder seems to be very accurate in all of my stuff and very very clean burning.

Stay away from nickel plated brass cases. Looks nice but can scratch the inside of your dies.

Most of all get a good reloading manual and read it twice. Ask questions here if it is 22 caliber or smaller. Saubier.com Very knowledgeable group of guys. Read up on pressure signs if nothing else. Flat primers and heavy bolt lift are a couple biggies.

Shoot me a PM, I'd be glad to help any way I can. It's very rewarding.

Jody

Forgot to add if you reload for pistols cartridges, make sure to purchase the carbide (or Ti carbide) dies. You can skip the hassle of case lube. A little more coin, but well worth it.

Good luck!

Not that Im much for reloading. But I REALLY like the Dillion Blue Press catalog. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Dean

hoofline.gif

I reload! I like working up pet loads for center fire rifles and pistols. I use the RCBS Rock Chucker for a press for most of my reloads. The loads I really want to fine tune.

I do use a RCBS progressive reloader for large quantities of ammo. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

At one time when I lived in Wyoming we reloaded different rounds in the back of the pick up bed on a shooting bench in the Prairie Dog fields. Man I miss those days. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<span style="color: #000099">Would you like more information about becoming an iowawhitetail PMA or Life Member? &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; </span>Details Here!<span style="color: #000099">&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;</span>

hoofline.gif

I love RCBS!! simply amazing. I love just going in the basement when I need some shells!!

Don't rule out Hornady.. good solid product, competitive prices, great Customer Service and some of the most innovative features of anyone. Of course I am biased.

Top Bottom