Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Removing tree steps

Hey guys! Quick question...we have a tree on the farm that had some screw in tree steps left by a previous hunter. It has been several years and so the tree has grown around the foot peg part. Wondering if there is a best time of year to try to remove them (guessing will take plunge cuts with a chain saw and a chisel to remove) regarding tree health. Wasn't sure if it would be best in winter (dormant) or any time is ok. Unfortunately it will take removing large chunks of bark/wood. Maybe best to let it be and just mark it when the steps are fully grown in so no one tries to cut it for lumber?

I would think that since you have to cut into the bark, etc, that I would do it in Dec/Jan. A phrase that I learned from a degreed forester, although he was an ISU grad, :), is: "Do not prune in May or June". I believe he would also add April to that saw, saw, get it? :) This advice was particularly true for oaks as I recall.

Pruning/cutting in that spring time frame is to invite disease/pests, etc. So I would for sure not do it now.

Probably will have to do some sort of tar/resin patch work on it, much like a band-aid, otherwise lotta critters gunna be digging into them holes for whatever bugs might be hiding in them.

Top Bottom