Revenge of the Long Beard

Discussion in 'Iowa Long Beard Conference' started by 203ntyp, Oct 20, 2018.

1. 203ntyp

203ntyp PMA Member

Kind of crazy but I sat in a blind a couple evenings ago at the edge of some mature pines, my truck was parked just 30 yards away on the other side of the pines out of sight. I wasn't there more than an hour when I heard a gobbler behind me but it wasn't close and he wasn't alone. I heard more than one and they were very vocal. I got my turkey call out of my fanny pack and made a few clucks hoping they would come by the blind and I could get some cool pictures but they got quiet for a while then started again and sounded much closer.

Wasn't long after I heard what sounded like a walnut falling on my truck roof? Then I heard a sound like someone dropped a metal bucket. At that point I thought it was the 87 year old land owner out on her porch which wasn't far. She calls me a half hour after the noise and gobbling stopped but I didn't answer since it was close to prime time for deer movement.

I called her when I got back to the truck to see what she wanted and the first thing she says is, "If your truck has a dent in it, it wasn't me", I hesitated then ask why would that be. She said 5 gobblers came around her house and the biggest went to my truck and started thumping and pecking on it and just kept it up. She said the other 4 went back around her house but after while they came back for the big guy and the headed towards the timber to roost gobbling the whole time.

Guess I shouldn't have whacked his buddy this past spring!

Oak, goatman, Daver and 1 other person like this.
  2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. Central Iowa

Central Iowa Administrator

Lol, that’s funny!

4. Nrharris

Nrharris Member

I think I would be getting an archery turkey tag and show that gobbler who's boss. Lol.

5. 203ntyp

203ntyp PMA Member

I do have a tag, the only down side is that my area will only be open for 3 days the end of the month.

6. Nrharris

Nrharris Member

That's a bummer. Fall archery turkey here is a long season and I have a lot of turkey trail cam pics.