Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

rifle hunting?

J

J Becker

I know this has probably came up before and it may have sparked some arguements but i need some opinions here. I'm writing a paper on the use of rifles in iowa to hunt bucks.... what are your guy's opinions on it? and on using them for does in iowa? and also for you out of staters who live where rifles are used for bucks, what are your thoughts on it based on your state??? thanks! any replies would be appreciated. lets not argue though... just keep it clean and talk about the issue, not people.

i think the season is dumb. too late in the year, there are alot of shed bucks around. its mainly a gimick to sell tags. if they really wanted to lower doe #'s they should reduce the price of the doe tags, and do something about land access. the southern counties have some real problem areas with large blocks of land that don't allow hunters in

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teeroy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i think the season is dumb. too late in the year, there are alot of shed bucks around. its mainly a gimick to sell tags. if they really wanted to lower doe #'s they should reduce the price of the doe tags, and do something about land access. the southern counties have some real problem areas with large blocks of land that don't allow hunters in </div></div>

Chalk me up for 100% agreement... which is a scary thing.

I don't much like the idea of rifles period. Just a "foot in the door" sort of thing and I hope the IBA fights tooth and nail if any other rifle seasons are proposed.

I hunted anterless the last two years with centerfire rifle and it was a novelty as much as anything. Deer were all shot within easy shotgun range. I do not think that they are any more dangerous than most of the weapons already in use- it is the people running the rifle you have to worry about.

I think it is another tool that can be used to help in the deer population management. With responsible hunters, rifle hunting is no more dangerous than any other type of firearm. I hunted this season last year, and will again this year. No shed bucks were killed between me and six of my buddies that did it last year, but I guess we know what we are looking for, we did see one shed buck last year.

As for rifle hunting for bucks, I would really hate to see that here in Iowa. I have rifle hunted my whole life in MO and KY, killing several nice bucks. The terrain is different up here. Back home, a 75,000 acre block of timber is not uncommon. So you are limited with a rifle anyway. Yea there are pastures around, but yet a buck tends to stay in the cover. In Iowa, cover is not as abundant as other states, along with some big crop fields, rifles would definitly impact the buck population.

I don't see what the big deal is. Rifles are no more dangerous than slugs. Idiots shooting over the horizon are dangerous no matter what they are hunting with. It's more about tradition than anything else. Your terrain is not that different from many parts of Kansas. We don't have people dropping like flies from errant shots and we still have plenty of big bucks running around. Your late season antlerless hunt should be done away with, and so should ours.

Me personally, I am comfortable out to 150 yards on deer. Doesn't matter if I'm shooting my 12 guage or my .30-06.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kansasdeerslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't see what the big deal is. Rifles are no more dangerous than slugs. Idiots shooting over the horizon are dangerous no matter what they are hunting with. It's more about tradition than anything else. Your terrain is not that different from many parts of Kansas. We don't have people dropping like flies from errant shots and we still have plenty of big bucks running around. Your late season antlerless hunt should be done away with, and so should ours.

Me personally, I am comfortable out to 150 yards on deer. Doesn't matter if I'm shooting my 12 guage or my .30-06. </div></div>

Agree 100%. Funny thing is we can shoot a pheasant with a high power but not a deer. Hell the way guys coyote hunt around here it's not a lot different than the way they deer hunt (push)

I live and hunt in ND were rifle season is like a state holiday up here.

I think the Rifle is a great tool to harvest deer especially in ND with the wide open spaces.

What I hate about Rifle season are all the slob lazy hunters that throw bullets from 500 yards away and shoot off the damn roads. There is no hunting involved in shooting a deer off the road from 500 yards away. That is killing not hunting. I frown upon the 55mph sneak method of hunting.

I wish that they would outlaw shooting from the road, that would eliminate some of the problem, but all the old fat lazy guys will never vote for that.

I guess some people just want a big rack and they don't care how they get it. Bragging rights at the local Pub is all they care about. I on the other hand want to work for it and earn it, that is why for the last 4 years all of my bucks kills with my rifle have been shot under a 100 yards even though I sight my rifle in for a 200yard zero.

I know that I get this mentality from being a bow hunter and I encourage everyone to take up bow hunting to see what true hunting is all about, out smarting an animal without them knowing you are there. Not out running them with your pickup and gunning them down.

Sorry for the rant, I just hate lazy, greedy people.

i disagree with Rifles in Iowa Period....

it was a bad choice IMO and once a "tradition" has been started, its very difficult to reverse it!

i hope it fades away and never returns.....

IMO

Matt, I'm not saying it would be more dangerous, with me being from a place where a rifle doesn't give you that much more of an advantage. In Iowa, however, if I could bring my rifle and buck hunt, I would have a great advantage, less cover, more open country to spot and stalk. With a rifle, I am very comfortable at 350 yards, and can hold a heck of a group at that distance. With my ML, I limit myself to 225 yards.

I know Kansas isn't much different, terrain wise, but you have to admit, just a little that a rifle will give a person a little advantage over a shotgun or ML, especially a hunter who shoots alot and is very comfortable and accurate at long ranges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">live and hunt in ND were rifle season is like a state holiday up here.

I think the Rifle is a great tool to harvest deer especially in ND with the wide open spaces.

What I hate about Rifle season are all the slob lazy hunters that throw bullets from 500 yards away and shoot off the damn roads. There is no hunting involved in shooting a deer off the road from 500 yards away. That is killing not hunting. I frown upon the 55mph sneak method of hunting.

I wish that they would outlaw shooting from the road, that would eliminate some of the problem, but all the old fat lazy guys will never vote for that.

I guess some people just want a big rack and they don't care how they get it. Bragging rights at the local Pub is all they care about. I on the other hand want to work for it and earn it, that is why for the last 4 years all of my bucks kills with my rifle have been shot under a 100 yards even though I sight my rifle in for a 200yard zero.

I know that I get this mentality from being a bow hunter and I encourage everyone to take up bow hunting to see what true hunting is all about, out smarting an animal without them knowing you are there. Not out running them with your pickup and gunning them down.

Sorry for the rant, I just hate lazy, greedy people. </div></div>

MY GOD NACHO......N.D and Saskatchewan sound almost identical...with the mentalities and hunting methods of most. I put away the rifle about 5 yrs ago for good in favor of the smokepole, not just for challenge but also to be done before the road warriors got at it. This yr took up the bow, more so for the challenge than to avoid the rifle hunters, b/c I endured 3 weeks of them. It's not so much that I hate the weapon, more that I hate the regulations involving road hunting and the bulk of the people I see using that weapon.

I am on record as being very opposed to using high power rifles for ANY deer hunting in Iowa for several reasons. First what is the necessity of using them? We currently have shotguns and slug ammo that are extremely effective at 150 yards or more and muzzle loaders at more than 200 yards, even though I am sure if we required a profecenticy test less than 30 percent of our deer hunters could score 3 out of 5 vitial zone hits under hunting conditions at that range. I am certain that that fact would not change just by using a centerfire rifle. I find it very strange that some replies have said that the terrain of Iowa is not much different that North Dakota or Kansas where rifles are allowed and are very effective, but in Iowa they are only allowed in the lower two tiers of counties, my home, where the land is nothing like ND. Why would that be? I agree with the comment about the novelty of being able to use a rifle legally, and understand that that is a factor in some of the support of rifles. When I first started deer hunting in southern Iowa only the outlaws used rifles for deer hunting but I would be willing to bet that more deer were killed with 30/30s, 30/06s, 303s, and 12 gauge OO buck than were killed with slugs then. Back then it wasn't very hard to miss a deer with your rabbit gun and a lousey slug round at 50 yards. Lots of hunters only got a chance or two per season and they wanted to be able to drop a deer at 100 yards if they saw one. I am sorry to say this, but although I never shot a deer with a rifle, I hunted with several who did back then. I don't remember anyone killing a deer with a rifle then that would be any kind of a problem shot for a good shotgun and slug combo today, but it was much different them.

Another problem that I have with this issue, is where do we stop. I believe in the slippery slope concept and can see if we allow rifles with many restrictions such as limited seasons, size and calibers, and types of rifles, that there will be a time in the future where a group will want a restriction lifted. When that is successful then another group will want a longer season or state wide access or a rifle season during November, after all Missouri does it and they have plenty of deer. If we don't start it then we don't have to fight to stop it later.

Lastly I do believe there is a safty issue involved. Some one made a comment about being able to shoot a pheasant or a coyote with a rifle why not a deer. Think about it!! There are almost 190,000 shotgun deer hunters that are all in the field for 3 weeks in December, mostly for 3 weekends in December. Many are very good responsible carefull hunters but what happens with those that aren't who, with a rifle, now have the accidential capabilities to kill another a mile away? Of the 4 hunting accidents that occured on the first weekend this year, how many would have been fatile if a rifle had been used? How many more might have been hit by some one shooting from a road 4 or 500 yards away as they steped out of the woods to shoot at the same deer the guys on the road were shooting at? Some will say that not all 190,000 deer hunters would use a rifle even if it were legal. As an answer I would ask how many deer hunters in Missouri or Wisconsin or Kansas use a shot gun and how many use rifles? I will finish with a last statement, rifles will add nothing to our deer hunting experience as to enjoyment or effiency but could certainly detract from it in a varity of ways. I will continue to speak out against rifle deer hunting in Iowa and ask that others with the same feelings make them know to the powers that control this issue.

A better question would be, would the 4 people who died opening weekend have died if shot with a rifle? Not many people are going to be walking around with a .50 cal rifle deer hunting. Even my 30.06 puts a smaller hole in you than a 12 gauge shotgun slug, and there is a chance it would go threw you and cause less organ damage.

Most of Wisconsin you can use a rifle. Where I hunt rifles are allowed and the way I see it I would be happier to have no rifles allowed. First of all I think shotguns and ML are safer because people arent winging bullets out to 4-500 yards. Secondly, a lot of deer get wounded because of people thinking they can kill a deer past 200 yards, which from experience most cant. Lastly, not having rifles gives does and bucks a better chance of making it. Shorter distances someone can shoot, the less deer that get shot IMO.

I think that the main reason Iowa has such nice deer is that we do not allow rifle buck hunts. Where I hunt which is the same terrain as a lot of the state with any kinda of scouting an ordinary joe could shoot a hell of a buck with a rifle. this would go on four about 4-5 years and then all of the sudden "where did all the big bucks go?" is what we would be hearing. For people who manage deer and trophy hunt whitetails, rifle season would be a disaster. For the weekend warrior it would be a blast but with such small tracts of land there are not too many farms that it would make sense to use a rifle.

None of those 4 people died. One shot himself in the foot, another was shot in the arm and shoulder, another was shot in the leg but must not have been very serious because he was treated and released from the hospital and I don't remember the 4th. My point was that even though none of these men died from being hit or grazed by a 12 gauge slug they might all have if hit with a 30/06 bullet even if the hole were smaller. The aspect of hydrostatic shock and energy transferance is much greater with the rifle bullet than with the slug. If the 30/06 didn't cause more damage and were more lethal why would anyone want to use one? I will say this, I would rather be grazed on my leg by a 1oz 12 gauge slug at 1200 fps than a 165 grain 30 caliber bullet at 2900 fps, if I had my choice that is. Why do you think that WW II was fought with 30/06s instead of 12 gauges?

I would hate to see it here. I like the idea of lowering the price on doe tags, and I also feel like some sort of a earn a buck program may be helpful in counties where it needs it most.

The weapons used sre often a reflection of the landscape and the logistics of property ownership.

Wyoming = Large Properties, Wide Open Landscapes = Rifles

Iowa = Small Properties, Broken Landscape, Much Rural Populations = Archery, Muzzleloaders, Shotguns. NO RIFLES.

Top Bottom