Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rifle Season

Hoffman

Just wondering if anyone else had heard that it was returning? I know it's not in regs so maybe not til next year?

I heard it from the landowner where I hunt. He talks to a DNR biologist quite often. He was told it's coming back in 2016, not sure if that means this winter or next.
I personally would like it back, strictly to assist with doe management, I also see why people are opposed to it. Maybe move it to earlier in season?

If there was absolutely no choice on its implementation I would vote for an earlier time slot so more shed bucks are saved.

Why would it come back? Too many deer again? Yea,,always too many deer for the Farm Bureau,,and,,well we know all that. Probably Farm B, or Insurance COs,,Putting pressure on the ole Govenor, again. On a related topic,,I have not taken a doe in 7 yrs. Been huntin here 10. Do not see enough doe or deer for that matter to take out does. But,,wife and I can consume 2 deer from Nov to Nov,,so every Bow Season I am in a bind. What to do. Hold out for an old buck. Let the young ones grow. OK,,in my area, In 3 or 4 weeks of hunting I will see 4 or 5- two yr olds,,4 or so yearlings,,and if lucky one 3 yr and maybe a 4 or 5,,or 6. So usually I am forced to take a 3 yr old and if I'm lucky,,and older buck. Some seasons in the past that would be the oldest I would see after 80 hrs or so of sitting.. I know,,I know,,"How can I be in that crappy a spot"? Never mind. Each season I am on the fence. Like to let em walk,,but like venison too.:confused:

I heard they are bringing it back again this year. Only they made some changes. Shooting hours are sunset to sunup, but no penalty for being outside of shooting hours. Spotlights are required during posted shooting hours. Shooting from the road is highly encouraged, especially onto properties you don't have permission for. No bag limit and no buck limit. No tag required. Can even leave the carcass lay, but only does and young bucks can have the head attached. And can use drones to locate and/or drive (must have night vision camera). Yes, it's the new and improved Poaching Season!!!!!

Ok, seriously, I have not heard anything about bringing the January antlerless season back. I'm sure it was and could still be good for some areas, but not all.

Why would it come back? Too many deer again? Yea,,always too many deer for the Farm Bureau,,and,,well we know all that. Probably Farm B, or Insurance COs,,Putting pressure on the ole Govenor, again. On a related topic,,I have not taken a doe in 7 yrs. Been huntin here 10. Do not see enough doe or deer for that matter to take out does. But,,wife and I can consume 2 deer from Nov to Nov,,so every Bow Season I am in a bind. What to do. Hold out for an old buck. Let the young ones grow. OK,,in my area, In 3 or 4 weeks of hunting I will see 4 or 5- two yr olds,,4 or so yearlings,,and if lucky one 3 yr and maybe a 4 or 5,,or 6. So usually I am forced to take a 3 yr old and if I'm lucky,,and older buck. Some seasons in the past that would be the oldest I would see after 80 hrs or so of sitting.. I know,,I know,,"How can I be in that crappy a spot"? Never mind. Each season I am on the fence. Like to let em walk,,but like venison too.:confused:

Just find someone with too many does that will give you some meat? Save them the trip to the locker to donate it.

Im not a proponent of the rifle season, and I know deer numbers are down in some areas, but the numbers are just as high as they have ever been in our area. Lots of $3 corn getting eaten. I would rather see them issue a doe tag along with every any sex tag for the regular seasons in these areas where the numbers are high. Of course that wouldn't make the State any more money so I doubt they would do that.

Don't know anyone in my area with surplus does.- Trouble with saying some areas have a lot of deer,,some don't. How do you regulate that and make fine targeted judgment calls. A large piece of private limited hunting ground can have too many does, while a mile up the road, properties can get hammered and have few deer...

I heard they are bringing it back again this year. Only they made some changes. Shooting hours are sunset to sunup, but no penalty for being outside of shooting hours. Spotlights are required during posted shooting hours. Shooting from the road is highly encouraged, especially onto properties you don't have permission for. No bag limit and no buck limit. No tag required. Can even leave the carcass lay, but only does and young bucks can have the head attached. And can use drones to locate and/or drive (must have night vision camera). Yes, it's the new and improved Poaching Season!!!!!

Ok, seriously, I have not heard anything about bringing the January antlerless season back. I'm sure it was and could still be good for some areas, but not all.

Great reply you hit the nail on the head. It's to close to deer season for me to bite on this post. But I will after bow season if it comes up.

If you remember at the DNR ICN meetings brining back the late rifle season got some air time.

2015 - 16
Resident Deer Seasons

Tentative Dates
Youth Sept 19 - Oct 4 Disabled (Requires Permit) Sept 19 - Oct 4 Early Muzzleloader Oct 17 - 25 Archery, Early Split Oct 1 – Dec 4
Archery, Late Split Dec 21 - Jan 10, 2016 Late Muzzleloader Dec 21 - Jan 10, 2016 Shotgun, Season 1 Dec 5 - Dec 9
Shotgun, Season 2 Dec 12 - Dec 20 January Antlerless only Closed for 2015

"Closed for 2015" means it won't return this January but who knows for future years. If the wild deer population ever gets back to the numbers we saw in the early 2000s it may return. Not that I ever think we will see populations like that again.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…

Hold on now.... Everything you listed there.... There's no changes there?!?!?! That's what the whole season was about before and the same previous madness that went on. So, gotta call this out, there's no changes with those statements!!! Biggest circus I ever seen in my life was that season (ok well, pretty comparable to any slow days of the season in Michigan which may be worse possibly). We need this season back so badly! I'm with Farm Bureau on this one, I personally will not be happy until every one of those giant rats are killed off from our state!

I was in Iowa this past weekend to put finishing touches on my steel building. The topic of the rifle season came up with one of the local contractors who bragged their group killed 38 deer, 8 being shed bucks, in the last late rifle season. Of course he wishes the season comes back. God I hope not!

I was in Iowa this past weekend to put finishing touches on my steel building. The topic of the rifle season came up with one of the local contractors who bragged their group killed 38 deer, 8 being shed bucks, in the last late rifle season. Of course he wishes the season comes back. God I hope not!

FWIW, I heard numerous similar reports over the past years and the 8/38 ratio is right in there from people said.

Top Bottom