Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rifles for Iowas gun seasons

Got this gem sent to me from a buddy.... He screenshot it off Facebook... . Need I say more why I hated this bill from the start , makes me wanna puke .
2j669g0.jpg

• Deleted by Tin Roof
Show…
Iowa and party hunting (deer drives) and adding rifles to the equation....would be a bad mix!
Technically "party" hunting only refers to the ability to tag a buck with someone else's buck tag. This is the stupidest rule Iowa has on the book. Without picking on the shotgun hunters for their deer drives, eliminating party hunting would be a step in the right direction. All that would mean is that if you want to shoot a buck you better have a buck tag. It wouldn't out law deer drives (discussion for another day). That change seems completely reasonably to me. I don't really see how any reasonable person could argue against it.... But 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.....

One concern that hasn't been addressed is how does legalizing some calibers effect enforcement. I have always assumed using a rifle during shotgun season was a a serious offense. Now that Some rifles are legal it may be common for some to assume the gun they have is "close enough". Many folks seem to bend or break rules understanding the fine is minimal any way.

This legislation started out as a way to include kids that weren't ready to handle the current list of approved weapons in deer hunting. This is BS on it's face as many kids have been getting it done with shotguns and muzzy's for a long time. It is a participation trophy. Everyone's got to get involved and get their deer and we need to make it as easy as possible for them to do it. It is endemic of what's happening to hunting and Society in general. It's also the demise of small game hunting and introducing kids to hunting in steps. I'm as guilty as anyone.

The participation mentality may very well continue.

Crimped calibers or "high powers"
I doubt party hunting will ever be undone
Once numbers are down and people start whining guns will come to November and the rut.
Iowa becomes a 1 buck state. (which I would like)

Last edited:
I forgot I still had this. The slug hit this hand sprayer otherwise the wife's car would have been next.
IMG_1240.JPG

Last edited:
Ishi, how'd you get the empty shell? Go have a chat with the shooter or find it laying on the ground later or what?

This legislation started out as a way to include kids that weren't ready to handle the current list of approved weapons in deer hunting. This is BS on it's face as many kids have been getting it done with shotguns and muzzy's for a long time. It is a participation trophy. Everyone's got to get involved and get their deer and we need to make it as easy as possible for them to do it. It is endemic of what's happening to hunting and Society in general. It's also the demise of small game hunting and introducing kids to hunting in steps. I'm as guilty as anyone.

The participation mentality may very well continue.

Crimped calibers or "high powers"
I doubt party hunting will ever be undone
Once numbers are down and people start whining guns will come to November and the rut.
Iowa becomes a 1 buck state. (which I would like)
Next we'll pass a bill for 25 lb. bows for wimpy kids!! No wait; they can probably use a crossbow now! Anyone who can't handle a 20 ga. automatic slug gun should probably look at other outdoor activities. Or maybe eating some Wheaties for breakfast.

The kids get involved in hunting seasons is getting over the top. Most of us on here, didn't need a special season to get us hooked on the outdoors. They can hunt with their parents or mentor during the countless seasons that are out there now. Pick up a bow maybe, does every special youth season have to be right in the middle of the current archery season?

I'd suggest allowing a special youth archery hunt in state parks or metro areas with high deer numbers?

Next we'll pass a bill for 25 lb. bows for wimpy kids!! No wait; they can probably use a crossbow now! Anyone who can't handle a 20 ga. automatic slug gun should probably look at other outdoor activities. Or maybe eating some Wheaties for breakfast.

Here's my new idea guys- looking for investors.... I'm inventing "THE ROBO HUNTING BUDDY"..... it's a full sized robot that will accompany your young one hunting. It plays games during the boring times but when the deer arrives, it's actually programmed and calibrated to draw your youngsters Bow back for him/her and make an accurate kill shot out to 114 yards!!! We've done some fantastic tests and the results are all positive. It plays games, music, you can download the latest apps & it's a killing machine. This is going to make the kids happy, assure they will kill deer and be rid of all the problems related to any weapon time. "THE ROBO HUNTING BUDDY" (TM) is also programmed to change diapers & give words of encouragement throughout the day. We're urgently working on adult version (you gotta see this prototype - full size mini-gun mounted that can take down 200 deer a minute). We gotta keep up with the times folks. Our kids are bored and these weapons of the past are simply too much. Please contact me about investing in "THE ROBO HUNTING BUDDY". Your robotic entertainment and killer of the future!

One concern that hasn't been addressed is how does legalizing some calibers effect enforcement. I have always assumed using a rifle during shotgun season was a a serious offense. Now that Some rifles are legal it may be common for some to assume the gun they have is "close enough". Many folks seem to bend or break rules understanding the fine is minimal any way.

If I remember correctly if you use a caliber not approved its like a $250 fine and you also lose your hunting rights for either 1 or 2 years... So they wont be taking that very lightly

Anybody remember when compound bows came out? The effective range of archers increased, Traditional archers were up in arms and it was the end of the world. Same thing with modern inline muzzleloaders; there's nothing traditional or primitive about them, but they're what 95% of us use now and the effective shooting range was doubled or tripled.
We're always looking for advancement and loopholes. Hardly anybody had rifled barrels on their shotguns or shot sabots when I started hunting and now they're the norm.
I honestly could have had a rifle capable of shooting 500 yds during second season and it wouldn't have helped my situation a bit.
Our effective range has nearly doubled in each of those situations and our deer herd is still here. I really don't see the change affecting me that much and honestly most the weekend warriors I know weren't even aware of the issue.

I grew up in Missouri and there is still GREAT deer hunting there. The problem down there is the gun season timing and not the guns. Down there the vast majority like it how it is so I don't see it changing anytime soon.
I understand the slippery slope part; totally could happen and someday longer ranged rifles may enter the mix. But even if it does head that direction what can we do about it? Honestly the guys who really care about managing the deer herd are only a small percentage of the 6% of the population that hunts. A group of people that small (which is a lot of the die-hard hunters on here) will have a hard time lobbying for what they think are the best interests of the herd.
I think if guys really cared about the deer herd they'd lobbying for a one buck tag system like Ohio. I guarantee that would lead to more mature bucks and better age structure. Take it for what it is, just my 2 cents.

I live in a state that is not meeting it's potential--MN because of the timing of the gun season...really that is the key. Weapons do matter, no place for rifles in Iowa, in my opinion. Also, I would agree, a 1 buck limit might be huge for you guys. Not that I care that much, a NR can only get a tag so often, but I think that may cut back on some hunters shooting small bucks, if they had to use that buck tag on it??

Same thing with modern inline muzzleloaders; there's nothing traditional or primitive about them, but they're what 95% of us use now and the effective shooting range was doubled or tripled.
"The Swiss genius Pauley invented the paper cap, then invented a percussion muzzleloader in 1808 and breech-loader in 1812. His 1808 patent was the first for a muzzleloading in-line action in which the cock of the sidelock was replaced by a cylindrical hammer driven by a coil spring." From: http://whitemuzzleloading.com/a-history-of-muzzleloading/

1808 makes it somewhat primitive to me, but your point is well taken that it swept the market once better commercialized.

Anybody remember when compound bows came out? The effective range of archers increased, Traditional archers were up in arms and it was the end of the world. Same thing with modern inline muzzleloaders; there's nothing traditional or primitive about them, but they're what 95% of us use now and the effective shooting range was doubled or tripled.
We're always looking for advancement and loopholes. Hardly anybody had rifled barrels on their shotguns or shot sabots when I started hunting and now they're the norm.
I honestly could have had a rifle capable of shooting 500 yds during second season and it wouldn't have helped my situation a bit.
Our effective range has nearly doubled in each of those situations and our deer herd is still here. I really don't see the change affecting me that much and honestly most the weekend warriors I know weren't even aware of the issue.

I grew up in Missouri and there is still GREAT deer hunting there. The problem down there is the gun season timing and not the guns. Down there the vast majority like it how it is so I don't see it changing anytime soon.
I understand the slippery slope part; totally could happen and someday longer ranged rifles may enter the mix. But even if it does head that direction what can we do about it? Honestly the guys who really care about managing the deer herd are only a small percentage of the 6% of the population that hunts. A group of people that small (which is a lot of the die-hard hunters on here) will have a hard time lobbying for what they think are the best interests of the herd.
I think if guys really cared about the deer herd they'd lobbying for a one buck tag system like Ohio. I guarantee that would lead to more mature bucks and better age structure. Take it for what it is, just my 2 cents.

Well said. Those are some of the points I was trying to make yesterday.

I've lived within a short drive of the Mississippi river my whole life, and have worked in towns along the river in Iowa, Wisconsin, and Illinois for the past 20+ years. During that time I've met hundreds of guys from other states through work that hunt and fish. I personally know dozens of guys that live in either Wisconsin or Illinois within an hour drive of Iowa that prefer to hunt in their home state. I can think of at least a dozen of them that have had or do have opportunities to hunt in Iowa on private ground, and still prefer to hunt at home. One guy in particular is now a resident of Iowa, but still buys a NR tag for Wisconsin to deer hunt there. When I ask these guys about this, you know what they say? They say the best thing for them is for everyone to be convinced that they have to go to Iowa to shoot big bucks. It's less competition for them. All of these guys are successful hunters with plenty of mounts in their trophy rooms. A couple of the guys consistently show me trail cam pics of multiple 160" and bigger deer on their hunting properties. Now, I know for some of you this seems impossible. That's because we have been told over and over and over by hunting shows, hunting magazines, etc that Iowa is the only place to shoot big bucks, and there is a 180" buck behind every 5th tree.

Using rifles is not going to destroy our deer herd. It doesn't matter if you are using a 20 gauge Ithaca deerslayer or an RPG, you still have to have the opportunity for a shot, and accurate shot placement. Just because a rifle can be accurate at 800 yards, doesn't mean it will be. It takes a lot of range time to be able to pull off a shot like that.

Keep in mind, this current proposed rule change wouldn't add any calibers that are not already legal. It just allows us to use them in a rifle platform instead of a pistol.

Well said. Those are some of the points I was trying to make yesterday.

I've lived within a short drive of the Mississippi river my whole life, and have worked in towns along the river in Iowa, Wisconsin, and Illinois for the past 20+ years. During that time I've met hundreds of guys from other states through work that hunt and fish. I personally know dozens of guys that live in either Wisconsin or Illinois within an hour drive of Iowa that prefer to hunt in their home state. I can think of at least a dozen of them that have had or do have opportunities to hunt in Iowa on private ground, and still prefer to hunt at home. One guy in particular is now a resident of Iowa, but still buys a NR tag for Wisconsin to deer hunt there. When I ask these guys about this, you know what they say? They say the best thing for them is for everyone to be convinced that they have to go to Iowa to shoot big bucks. It's less competition for them. All of these guys are successful hunters with plenty of mounts in their trophy rooms. A couple of the guys consistently show me trail cam pics of multiple 160" and bigger deer on their hunting properties. Now, I know for some of you this seems impossible. That's because we have been told over and over and over by hunting shows, hunting magazines, etc that Iowa is the only place to shoot big bucks, and there is a 180" buck behind every 5th tree.

Using rifles is not going to destroy our deer herd. It doesn't matter if you are using a 20 gauge Ithaca deerslayer or an RPG, you still have to have the opportunity for a shot, and accurate shot placement. Just because a rifle can be accurate at 800 yards, doesn't mean it will be. It takes a lot of range time to be able to pull off a shot like that.

Keep in mind, this current proposed rule change wouldn't add any calibers that are not already legal. It just allows us to use them in a rifle platform instead of a pistol.
Then why don't you use the pistol platform?? And if you live next to Illinois and Wisconsin you could easily hunt rifle seasons in those states. Better yet; move there and avoid non-resident fees! The majority of Iowa land is private. It will be interesting how many landowners will be fine with rifle hunting on their land. I know the law could pass tomorrow and I won't allow anybody using rifles on my land.

Then why don't you use the pistol platform?? And if you live next to Illinois and Wisconsin you could easily hunt rifle seasons in those states. Better yet; move there and avoid non-resident fees! The majority of Iowa land is private. It will be interesting how many landowners will be fine with rifle hunting on their land. I know the law could pass tomorrow and I won't allow anybody using rifles on my land.

I personally will not be taking advantage of this. I have no need to use these rounds. But, unlike you I'm not self serving and have no issue with others being able to.

Top Bottom