Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Right to retrieve game law

hillrunner

PMA Member
How exactly does this law work? Is it meant to be for retrieving downed game or is searching for a wounded buck fair game? Do you need to have a blood trail for it to be legit?
Noticed a couple pickups parked and 5 guys up on the ridge walking my ground today. I watched them for a while and could see they were probably trying to track a deer. I went and had a conversation with them for a bit. Turned out they were on hour six of chasing this buck. They said they were on blood and that they had just jumped him on my ground.
I don't have a problem with what they are doing ( although I told them I would of appreciated someone letting me know) and I hope they find the buck. But it got my mind wandering about how far someone could push this law. Does getting an arrow into a deer give you the right to search every piece of ground in the county or do you at least need a legitimate reason to think the deer is where you are looking? Could someone trespass all over the county and just claim he was searching for wounded game when he shows up on trail camera pictures?

Gotta have a blood trail if you're gonna look without permission and then you can't have a weapon. No blood trail the landowner doesn't have to allow it. That' what my CO goes by

My neighbor killed a buck that crossed a few property lines. Found the deer and took his quad thru everyone’s farm to retrieve it, anyone know if that’s legal?

My neighbor killed a buck that crossed a few property lines. Found the deer and took his quad thru everyone’s farm to retrieve it, anyone know if that’s legal?

No, I don't believe that it is... if it ever happens on my property, I'll see if the county sheriff agrees with me! :mad:

Must have blood trail!! Stops- sol as far as law goes. Must have active blood and no weapons or vehicles. It does get abused. I agree with u- it’s nice to get a call and guys shouldn’t use it as “free for all” on going every where.

If he asked first I wouldnt see the issue with it. I bet it doesnt spook as much deer as a guy would think .
He didn’t ask and I don’t think riding thru the farm spooked much for very long, just thought it was pretty bold to do that without asking permission first.

He didn’t ask and I don’t think riding thru the farm spooked much for very long, just thought it was pretty bold to do that without asking permission first.
Agree bold. Getting ahold of landowners is tough in certain situations though if you do not know them personally, wish they had a plat book for rented ground. Lots of trusts and LLCs own land thats impossible to get ahold of the owner unless you know who the LLC or trust holders are.

Any trespassers on your land give you the right and choice to A) set their vehicles on fire B) Shoot 1st, ask questions later C) Assemble Lynch Mob & bring violators to town square for locals to do as they please D) Ability to call ICE and have them deported to Guatemala.

Facts from rule book are pretty clear. In the Land owners favor for sure. ;).
Ok- kidding on this!!!

Agree bold. Getting ahold of landowners is tough in certain situations though if you do not know them personally, wish they had a plat book for rented ground. Lots of trusts and LLCs own land thats impossible to get ahold of the owner unless you know who the LLC or trust holders are.
Yep, 2 years back when I shot a big buck on public we tracked him to the nearby private. Blood ended about 10 yds on the private ground CRP. Looked up the owner and it was a guy from New York, so I left my bow at the fence cuz there was no way to contact him. We grid searched and found my deer 70 yds from where I lost blood.

No blood could suck in perfectly legitimate situations, but I understand why that rule would make sense. Otherwise shotgun groups would walk through good areas, claiming they wounded a deer only to drive deer to their posters.

Top Bottom