Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

River Fishing

SplitG2

The other thread about this site being dead lately got me thinking about current fishing. Seems like a lot of people have been fishing rivers lately. I've only ever really fished lakes and ponds before so lets hear some tips for river fishing. Specifically walleyes or catfish, I'm open to any ideas to help me try something new! What bait do you use? When is a good time, sounds like walleyes might be biting a lot right now?

Mid summer I always find a bend in the river with a deep hole downstream and just use night crawlers or chicken livers for cats

I put my boat in the Des Moines river March 14th for the first time this year. We have gone several times since. We have been doing good on the walleyes running 3 way rigs slow. Some fish on jigs also but the water the last three weeks has been 38.7 degrees. The spawning run will probably happen this coming week with the temps we are going to get.

What temp does the walleye spawn usually happen around? Do rivers and lakes reach spawn temp about the same time?

I put my boat in the Des Moines river March 14th for the first time this year. We have gone several times since. We have been doing good on the walleyes running 3 way rigs slow. Some fish on jigs also but the water the last three weeks has been 38.7 degrees. The spawning run will probably happen this coming week with the temps we are going to get.

They are dumping as we speak. Yesterday's bite was good, today was the dead sea. Males yesterday were milking the moment they came out of the water. I'd say we'd have more of a chance at a "normal" walleye run if the water levels weren't plummeting. Water was down over a foot from were it was at last night when I left the river at 7pm. Most big gals won't be making it to far from their winter holes to dump their eggs. Hopefully we will get some rain and have a good post spawn run.

Lots of females were caught Thursday Friday near Des Moines. Tuesday - Wednesday should be a day to remember!!

We have been catching walleye at Scott street for about 2 weeks now. We go and wade the river and have pretty good luck, i hate fishing off the bridge. Our biggest has been 22 inches, maybe 3 pounds, but have seen some 5-7 pounders getting caught every once in a while.

Last edited:
Top Bottom