Road screen help -ideas

Discussion in 'Whitetail Management' started by jrsbows, Jan 19, 2019.

1. jrsbows

jrsbows New Member

what would you suggest i use for a high bank road screen .i was thinking pine of some kind .but i would like some fast growing stuff while pines grow. by high bank i mean th road is 5 all way to 10+ ft above my property due to a bridge. also theres a chance of flooding back waters .

Sent from my SM-J320R4 using Tapatalk

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. Duckriver

Duckriver Member

Switchgrass and maybe Leyland cypress would be options I would consider

4. IowaBowHunter1983

IowaBowHunter1983 Super Moderator Staff Member

I would go cedar for long term screen. Can plant some grasses or EW in interim.

5. hillrunner

hillrunner PMA Member

I have a similar situation as you where the road is higher than my property although mine is closer to 5' than 10'. I planted 2 rows of cedars 11 years ago. It'll probably be another 10 years before they actually screen anything.
    I started experimenting with some miscanthus last year. I planted it about 70 yards from the road in hopes that would negate some of the height advantage the road has. It'll be a couple more years before I'll know if this created the desired screen.

6. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

Not pine. Will get rubbed to death when it gets chest high.
    Combo is only truly correct answer..... a combo that involves separated rows of different plantings. The rows that are divided would be fast & slow/permanent solutions... red cedar in place of pine. Native grasses like kanlow switch & BB stem. Egyptian wheat 1 year screens. Willows, hybrid poplar, etc. Shrub varieties (taller varieties). Etc etc. I probably would pick 2-3 options. Fast but temporary & slower but permanent. The ONLY option that truly solves both at once is using a spade to move in trees that immediately screen it. Like I’ll put some pics of & actually not near as hard/costly as folks would think if u really dive into details. Beyond that- 2-3 prong approach.

goatman likes this.
  7. Copenhagen Tob

Copenhagen Tob PMA Member

What bout building a berm to start with, plant directly on top

goatman likes this.
  8. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

Yep!!! I did that on my 1st farm about 18 years ago. Guys were shooting in a 100 yard stretch from road. I think I had about $1500 into dozing. (Can’t remember). Wasn’t bad & worked great.

**yep- from goatman- do weed control (around cedars- oust, etc is fine. Shrubs or soft wood trees - NO OUST - use Gly & whole list that’s in Dbltree forum) & N around em- either or both r helpful for sure & speed up a good bit.

Need trees reasonably close to move - if have that- handy as can be. Volunteer cedars growing all over & too thick so just thin em a little. usually can find em if look. Here’s spading a few days a few years ago.....
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. goatman

goatman I hunt days ending in Y

Think it was Skip who said throw nitrogen at those cedars. I did last year and it helped. My choice is red cedar also. Wild plum would also stop a walk through from the road.

10. sirrloin

sirrloin PMA Member

I feel your pain. We'll be plantimg some saplings this year and egyptian wheat to create some habitat in the front of our property. The road is probably 20ft above us so were going to put a 10ft wide section of egyptian wheat along the fence until the trees kick in. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

11. deep woods goat hunter

deep woods goat hunter PMA Member

Im jealous of the tree spade

Sligh1 likes this.
  12. hillrunner

hillrunner PMA Member

This is an interesting idea if the ground lays out in such a way that this is possible. I suppose county and the neighbors might not be too impressed when the snow drifts all the way to the top of the new berm.