Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Roundup Ready Corn & Soybean Food Plot

We tilled a ladino plot this spring and drilled RR beans to help clean up weeds and rotate the crop. Yup, the deer keep em' mowed down to 6". We then plant Dbltree's mixes on schedule half and half which gets us into the rotation. The short beans bounce right back after we cultipack the brassica mix right over the top and after drilling the rye mix in. I broadcast ammonium nitrate on the brassica half for added N. It's worked well for us in the past, we've planted the mix already the first week of July in N WI.

cultipacking brassicas into beans with the Badboy Buggy
picture.php
brassica

August 30th, 2013

3 ac soybean field taking a serious beating!

I warned the landowner but having become accustomed to seeing deer in beans he was certain that he needed them

There are acres of ag beans on this farm but all are exposed to the road so naturally deer choose the most hidden area adjacent to bedding cover. Fortunately we have brassicas growing and the rye mix about to be planted and this fall/winter, the landowner will see the same deer eating the turnips and rye.

Whitetails are opportunistic and will eat almost anything that is closest to their safe bedding area...it's only when they run out that they leave so we endeavor to provide year around food source that include copious amounts of natural forage and browse.

Our goal is to produce the maximum amount of food on the least amount of acres and then convert left over acres to NWSG to create additional bedding area...the single most limiting factor when it comes to holding mature whitetails....;)

Sept 13th, 2013

Tim sent pics of his soybeans along with brassicas, clover and cereals all in same field and not having high density the beans look great!

Depending on topography and cover, some areas will never have high deer numbers, but...Tim does kill some whoppers so quality is often better then quantity. Tim wisely does not put all his eggs in one basket and by planting multiple crops in one field he will hold deer year around!

Likewise Fred has done the same and also harvests outstanding bucks...view from his stand also reveals brassicas, beans, cereal mix and clover around the perimeter

Note Fred planted early maturing beans that will be dried down and attractive in hunting season while the forages provide plenty of lush palatable high quality greens to go with the grain. Great time overseed winter rye into standing beans as they start to turn at 50-75#'s per acre :way:

Tim overseeded winter rye into his soybeans as they started to turn and the rye is coming up nicely!

He planted early maturing grain soybeans that would dry down and be attractive in October and adding rye provides a source of green forage that will feed deer well into spring, not to mention improving his soil at the same time... ;)

So if I am planting RR beans do I need to spray a pre herbicide or just round up once they get rolling, I am going to plant 250,000 a acre because density getting ready for CIR beading area. This is a bottom that has lots of weeds and grasses. Thanks

Not sure if this is correct place to post , I see they have smart nitrogen urea out , any pros or cons on it for food plots, wonder if it still needs tilled in .. I see it is slow release.

Not sure if this is correct place to post , I see they have smart nitrogen urea out , any pros or cons on it for food plots, wonder if it still needs tilled in .. I see it is slow release.

Some don't work very well if at all, Argotain appears to be ok but available only in bulk.

Hey Guys, Question ? Has anybody put there Urea in March and then no tilled there corn in say 3rd week of April or as weather allows. I was thinking this would allow me to spray Gly before I plant I have 2 bags conventional corn. I am also applying 2 qt of Atrazine per acre. I planned to do that end of March /April when I add the urea. DO you guys think I would loose any Nitrogen by putting it in early ? Or should I just do it all In Mid April.. Good Idea / bad idea ? Thanks Guys

Hey Guys, Question ? Has anybody put there Urea in March and then no tilled there corn in say 3rd week of April or as weather allows. I was thinking this would allow me to spray Gly before I plant I have 2 bags conventional corn. I am also applying 2 qt of Atrazine per acre. I planned to do that end of March /April when I add the urea. DO you guys think I would loose any Nitrogen by putting it in early ? Or should I just do it all In Mid April.. Good Idea / bad idea ? Thanks Guys

You will for sure loose some over that time, some years it is more, some less. We figure that in 8 weeks all the N will be atleast 6 in down if not further. You will loose Urea into the air and below the root zone.

Treat urea with Agritain, Nitrain or similar that slows release. U'll be fine. Most coops can easily treat it. Hot weather is when u lose most so treated urea will be minimal loss. Like any spring N- only worry I have is flooding rains which leach too low but that can happen in any case.

For the farming experts..... How many consecutive years can a person run RR soybeans? To me it is the ultimate plot offering a food source the entire hunting season and beyond. I'm not at all worried about planting beans on beans....just wondering in one certain plot how many times I can plant beans on beans on beans on beans....etc.

FWIW: I am damned sure not a farming expert but I got about 5 or 6 years out of RR beans before developing a healthy strain of RR giant ragweed which was too tall to shoot over! Currently on my 3rd year of Liberty Link beans and hoping that maybe I can try switching back to RR again next year? I mostly want to switch back if I can because I can usually get RR beans free and LL beans are hard enough to find that I have to buy them. :D

Top Bottom