Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Roundup Ready Corn & Soybean Food Plot

Should have said more detail. These are food plot beans that are roundup beans. Field has been tilled the last few years and I don't have a no till drill (which I wished I had) so they are broadcast then tilled under. Hasn't been in corn yet but probably will do next year. Has been in red clover and cereal rye before with not much change. Going with your chemical rotations is doable. I'm on poor ground so nutsedge pops up regularly. Thanks for the input Sligh1.

If u gonna rotate to corn- corn will usually choke it out. For killing now.... u sure can add a lot more post/pre's to ur next spraying. We maybe talking $20-30/acre in addition for example. I'd read labels but viable options mixing with ur next spraying could be stuff like: s-metolachlor, cadet, flexstar & maybe the most nuclear option would be the stuff like cobra which kinda fries everything but beans bounce back.

One good thing about the mild winter....not all the beans got devoured.

This is 100% volunteer. Just sprayed and bam.

Kinda funny.... Some of the best beans I've seen.

IMG_20170618_172012024_zps0a6wthyr.jpg

Yep I had some also but only a small patch. They were in the red clover that I frost seeded so they got mowed off. The red clover will be turned under next month for brassica seeding. May not get anything up. We missed all the rains.

FYI on beans.... Nuke is COBRA. Better product if you're not doing Liberty.... FLEXSTAR - Fomesafen.... Won't burn leaves near as bad as cobra but hit Waterhemp, ragweed, etc hard. Can actually buy cheap now that it's generic. Local coop, Rural king, here, etc - ask local coop for generic pricing.
http://www.farmershelpingfarmersco.com/chemical-price-list.html is a good marker on where prices should be.
I'm doing my final Bean spray with Liberty/Ignite herbicide (generic) & S-Metolachlor on Liberty beans. I have some round-up ready beans I got for free.... Doing Flexstar (Fomesafen), S-Metoloachlor & round-up (and a water conditioner).
CORN, I did Acuron so one pass done. If I find any weedy spots..... I also have some round-up corn and some Liberty corn.... Add that post emergent depending on which area I'm spraying - and then probably do a generic Mesotrione & probably add some 2,4-d & maybe even S-Metolachlor. I don't need all those but depends on weeds, use some of those. All great stuff. FYI. Kill them weeds dead!!!! :)

Done the broadcast and till method of RR corn for the second year now. Between too thick or too thin and ears not really turning into ears I end up with maybe 50% decent ears. Kind of a waste of space. I only fertilize and nothing else. I get a lot this. What is it and what should i have been doing differently?
524ced046da151fd32c503cbd9659fc2.jpg
370eaaf9e7c01dc20fa9e44b772c10e5.jpg
67ad8fff55dc9f359c7decb62f66b4f5.jpg
7f77ff99cf1e87ba504779fad23dc17c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My (totally uneducated) guess is; deer bit off the top of the ear during or shortly after pollination and you end up with some fungus in the exposed area... Hopefully someone with more agronomy knowledge than me will chip in and correct me...

https://www.aganytime.com/dekalb/tools/Documents/CornDiagnosticGuide.pdf

https://www.extension.iastate.edu/hancock/page/corn-diagnostic-guide-tasseling-maturity#ears

I’d agree with above. I’m guessing deer or coons damagaed the growing corn. Just like a wound- It’s prone to disease.... fungus, etc. you may have a perfect storm of nutrient deciciency, lack of water, insect/worm, etc.
imo- ur solution is to simply have a lot bigger field so ur ears aren’t all picked on. More to survive. Making sure N-P-K & PH all at proper levels. Need more area IMO- BIGGER. I’d buy a triple stack type corn that’s got resistance to as many things as possible

BUT- IMO- I’d still go back to- plot too small and each ear getting nipped. Need way more.

https://www.aganytime.com/dekalb/tools/Documents/CornDiagnosticGuide.pdf

https://www.extension.iastate.edu/hancock/page/corn-diagnostic-guide-tasseling-maturity#ears

I’d agree with above. I’m guessing deer or coons damagaed the growing corn. Just like a wound- It’s prone to disease.... fungus, etc. you may have a perfect storm of nutrient deciciency, lack of water, insect/worm, etc.
imo- ur solution is to simply have a lot bigger field so ur ears aren’t all picked on. More to survive. Making sure N-P-K & PH all at proper levels. Need more area IMO- BIGGER. I’d buy a triple stack type corn that’s got resistance to as many things as possible

BUT- IMO- I’d still go back to- plot too small and each ear getting nipped. Need way more.
Don't think I noticed your replies a while back or forgot I read the . Thanks both. Completely free seed somewhat the hell, better than nothing. Didn't think about the ends being bit off. The amount of use the milo got this year and how coons don't bother it, corn might be sol on my place. Unless I come up with a planter

Got a tractor? Lil 4 row 7000 be a corn planting go-to if you wanted to "start the addiction". :)

Yeah, small one I use to till under the seed. Waiting for my wife to say she wants a lot of sweetcorn so I can get a planter ha

Lemme ask u guys who have done beans for a long time. I’ve planted them for 16-17 years now.....

when there’s a cold winter, especially with lots of snow- beans were the ticket!!! As time went on, we had some warmer years and expected my beans to not get as much attention. One odd thing I’ve noticed for the last “5-6 years” let’s call it..... even on my cold years with snow.... they are NOT hitting it like they were 10 years ago. It’s not the circus it used to be. Do they still hit em? YEP & it’s reasonably good. NOT what it was 10 years ago.

This last year was COLD & snow. I had a good amount of Deer in beans but not like it should have been. They also trickled off to other food far quicker.

Dunno if my imagination or if anyone else notices this? A few buddies of mine who pay close attention agree but I wanted to post on here for others around the state and if u noticed this. I know the warm years I will be mowing Down pods of full beans but this year I’ll also be mowing full pods down.

If so.... could it be all the warmer winters training them off of it? Could it be the genetic modification changes on the beans that may have to do with the taste? I’m trying to think of any other viable 3rd option. Something changed, IMO- unless I really have a picky or crazy imagination. I suspect we need more consistent cold winters, I’ll keep planting em BUT..... ANYONE ELSE SEE THIS??

Last edited:
Agree 100%. From everything I have seen in SE Minnesota, in the past 10-15 years the deer definitely do not hit the beans like the use to. Not even close. Back in the day in the day if you had beans in the right location every buck in the area would be there. 10-20 wasn’t out of the question. It just doesn’t seem like the draw is there anymore. I’m thinking it’s something with the genetics being modified. But that’s only a guess.

I don't have any comparison beyond the last 7-8 years, but this year was INSANE. I have never seen anything like it. Deer just piled into my bean fields. The absolute worst sit was 40 deer with 80-100 being closer to the norm. This was on multiple farms. I watched them run across brassicas to get to beans. The two years prior, I had beans left in the spring. This year, they were gone in January.

Now..... My farms arn't in big management blocks, soooooo I think I am the only game in town in a lot of cases when it comes to food. That probably has an impact. But yeah, I have never in my life seen so many deer as this past late season, all in my beans.

I should rephrase my comments. That was all directed to summer time feeding. Beans in the winter would not last around here.

I should rephrase my comments. That was all directed to summer time feeding. Beans in the winter would not last around here.
Some of that is herbicide application IMO. I have seen it many times driving around. A field will be loaded, then get sprayed, then no deer for long time.

Beans seem to be better late season in my area than corn on certain farms, and vice versa on others? This is MN

I don't know why really. Could be the other crop residue in the area, maybe?

I plant some of both corn & beans for late season plots. I'll have to agree with Sligh. When the winter is REALLY nasty day after day (which it hasn't been for a few years), the deer pile into the beans and do it in shooting light. The past couple years deer feed much more in the corn. Even then, it takes an ugly day to get bucks out there in shooting hours. It's almost like they like the taste of corn better, but know the oils in the beans have more "calories" when weather dictates they need the extra energy.

Top Bottom