Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Roundup Ready Corn & Soybean Food Plot

What's a good count for broadcast soybeans. I'll be at 172k/acre. Doing about 5 acres. Expecting them to get browsed to ground but want to five it best shot without over seeding. Expect portion to not germinate from improper depth. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
If I was doing “ag fields” & thought I might have some germ issues - I’d go 170k-180k. Regular planted beans on perfect seed bed with nice planter - 140-150k.

BROADCAST + smaller area + deer pressure.... I Personally would go 250k. No joke. This is also not like corn where u have to be careful to not over seed. Beans can take that far better. Deer gonna thin em down for u - no doubt. 200k be minimum id dare. In situations like that- heck, I’ve done 350k & been just fine. Is that desireabke to do 350k - probably not BUT when lots of deer pressure- worked just fine. U got lots of wiggle room here. Good luck!

On forage beans, when have you been able (or even if you have been able!) to overseed you winter green mix? I am planning on planting June 8th right now. I know it's a bit later, but just trying to get it all done. Going to drill 8.5 acres of forage beans. Will be leaving beans standing all winter if they make it.

What's a good count for broadcast soybeans. I'll be at 172k/acre. Doing about 5 acres. Expecting them to get browsed to ground but want to five it best shot without over seeding. Expect portion to not germinate from improper depth. Thanks

Arm - I am seriously thinking about broadcasting some beans this weekend. I have a local farmer drill beans for me every year, but this spot is in a location that he cannot get his equipment to. I am thinking about spreading some P&K, tilling it, broadcasting the beans and then culti-packing it. Maybe doing a light drag after broadcasting, before culti-packing.

I would be curious to see what others are doing in this case. I am thinking of about 2 acres, that I am pretty sure I will be replanting then later this summer. So these beans would give me some free N and feed the deers this summer.

I simply broadcast everything at once on non tilled ground, then till it all under. Idk if I break and seed this way but I see very few seeds on the surface when I'm done. Set the tiller on 1.5 to 2" and set her eat.

I simply broadcast everything at once on non tilled ground, then till it all under. Idk if I break and seed this way but I see very few seeds on the surface when I'm done. Set the tiller on 1.5 to 2" and set her eat.

Interesting. ^^ I would be curious to hear how others may do this too, I would not have thought to broadcast the seed first and then till. Do you culti-pack afterwards?

Interesting. ^^ I would be curious to hear how others may do this too, I would not have thought to broadcast the seed first and then till. Do you culti-pack afterwards?
I've tried to replicate cultipacking with atv tires but started to take too long. In the scenario in had have a field "packed" and half not. I didn't notice any differences. Did the same with corn and has worked good minus spacing/density but that's another story. I just try to do it before a rain. If I had a packer...id pack it for sure...maybe...if I thought about how it may or may not impact seed depth

I've tried to replicate cultipacking with atv tires but started to take too long. In the scenario in had have a field "packed" and half not. I didn't notice any differences. Did the same with corn and has worked good minus spacing/density but that's another story. I just try to do it before a rain. If I had a packer...id pack it for sure...maybe...if I thought about how it may or may not impact seed depth

OK, I know that if I don't pack some seeds that I have broadcasted into tilled ground, I get much poorer germination...as when my soil is dry, which unfortunately it almost always is, it is almost "fluff". So I am committed to packing it well in my case.

I quit using a packer. After tilling I broadcast then light till beans in. I'm with you as my dirt is always dry.

I quit using a packer. After tilling I broadcast then light till beans in. I'm with you as my dirt is always dry.

Interesting. I know that I have been sorry that I didn't pack to get a firm seed bed with milo. I wonder if beans would be different than milo?

Some people on here had done this with beans. So I tried it and worked perfect. I was seeing to many beans on top and not covered with a packer. I was looking also at getting them down to some moisture.

I got to eat crow. After disking bean ground twice I have clods the size of cantaloupe. Had to break out the tiller. Without rain real soon I'm sunk anyway. Might end up with plots in brassicas.

I've heard some "real farmers" say if you're not seeing some beans on the top, your planting too deep, even with a planter. ;)
they sure do say that! in farming applications beans are planted anywhere from 3/4" to 1.5" deep...i wouldnt be afraid to broadcast on top of soil and just let the rain help them germinate....beans will literally grow on concrete....as long as there is some sort of moisture to get those roots into the soil youll be good

Hope your right. I'm not expecting anything. My neighbor said the last big rain we had was Oct. 1 last year. 1 1/2" that day. How long can corn lay there waiting for a rain? Been in for 2 weeks now. Very little up.

Leaf beetle? Other?

A concern?

Remedy?

9b91331f4a62288604767546c145e176.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hope your right. I'm not expecting anything. My neighbor said the last big rain we had was Oct. 1 last year. 1 1/2" that day. How long can corn lay there waiting for a rain? Been in for 2 weeks now. Very little up.
I would wait another few days and if not up by then maybe go a different route. I am not sure how long it can sit there, but i know this is great corn growing weather we have had the past few weeks so it should be coming

On forage beans, when have you been able (or even if you have been able!) to overseed you winter green mix? I am planning on planting June 8th right now. I know it's a bit later, but just trying to get it all done. Going to drill 8.5 acres of forage beans. Will be leaving beans standing all winter if they make it.

From what I understand forage beans keep green till first frost so mixing in rye and radish in late august or september is not an option because of the canopy . Some one can correct me if I am wrong this is one of the cons of planting them.

Top Bottom