Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Roundup Ready Corn & Soybean Food Plot

I’ll admit- living in iowa- maybe lil corn & bean pics are boring as that’s all folks see when they drive around. For me - on my place- its still interesting & fun. To see success I spose. Sorry if a lil boring to anyone else though. I’ve got to see some challenges & failures through out the years so this year is rewarding SO FAR! Good luck on weather, growth & all the things that make growing things so challenging/rewarding.
9183a156b45746af0e595836ca2f6398.jpg

cc1c3e3e0d62ab2c32f9c5af4ebea5c0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking good Skip. We got 6” ot rain Wednesday night and some places have gotten 12” the past 6 days. Gonna be tough year for a lot of folks in NCMO

Getting herbicides right, especially on corn, is tough. Beans are easier to respray. Corn, idea is, to keep them clean so they can get tall & crowd out weeds before they have a chance. It’s super nice to avoid having to respray corn. Beans are clearly a 2-3 pass spray program. I’m hopeful this no till corn will be one spray. Things that make it possible: no till, cover crops if able & this herbicide application... heavy Gly & ammonium sulfate for kill + atrazine, metolachlor & mesotrione. Those 3 last pre-emergents (which do work as post emergent as well)... they cover the spectrum for keeping grasses & the vast array of broadleaves out. Acuron would be slightly better with one more added to this list of 3 but splitting hairs.
If second spray is needed on corn- if needed at this stage- this photo was from about a week ago. I’d be adding metolachlor, prowl h20 & maybe one of above. In addition to Gly. Get those weeds when small & watch that they don’t get out of control. Can go nuts & get out of control fast in ground with massive Nitrogen there to grow corn.
a898fbc6369f6bda6d986ad2b32d2820.jpg

Getting herbicides right, especially on corn, is tough. Beans are easier to respray. Corn, idea is, to keep them clean so they can get tall & crowd out weeds before they have a chance. It’s super nice to avoid having to respray corn. Beans are clearly a 2-3 pass spray program. I’m hopeful this no till corn will be one spray. Things that make it possible: no till, cover crops if able & this herbicide application... heavy Gly & ammonium sulfate for kill + atrazine, metolachlor & mesotrione. Those 3 last pre-emergents (which do work as post emergent as well)... they cover the spectrum for keeping grasses & the vast array of broadleaves out. Acuron would be slightly better with one more added to this list of 3 but splitting hairs.
If second spray is needed on corn- if needed at this stage- this photo was from about a week ago. I’d be adding metolachlor, prowl h20 & maybe one of above. In addition to Gly. Get those weeds when small & watch that they don’t get out of control. Can go nuts & get out of control fast in ground with massive Nitrogen there to grow corn.
a898fbc6369f6bda6d986ad2b32d2820.jpg

Another thing that works extremely well for burn down and you have easy access use 28% instead of ammonium sulfate.
32 ounces of Gly is all that's needed

Corn. Even so, if you have standing corn, when/how do you drill the rye over atanding corn?

This is a very tough one. I’ll admit this is a “6-8 on difficulty scale”. The correct answer is the broadcast it if u have space in a wide row area or when it’s mowed. It’s not super easy but can be done. Keys are: rye can germinate super cold temps, in 30’s - so even towards mid winter is fine for example. A guy can get a bag seeder to fly em up in air too. Or those seeders that mount on leaf blowers.
This is the most challenging cover crop- standing corn. But can be done. More u have stuff growing 365 days a year and covered soil, no or limited till- better off u be

This is a very tough one. I’ll admit this is a “6-8 on difficulty scale”. The correct answer is the broadcast it if u have space in a wide row area or when it’s mowed. It’s not super easy but can be done. Keys are: rye can germinate super cold temps, in 30’s - so even towards mid winter is fine for example. A guy can get a bag seeder to fly em up in air too. Or those seeders that mount on leaf blowers.
This is the most challenging cover crop- standing corn. But can be done. More u have stuff growing 365 days a year and covered soil, no or limited till- better off u be

10-4 i didnt know if i was missing something
Id say i could just run over what i want to shred later (jan-feb) is the side by side or tractor especially if im dont hunting for the year.
Do you guys just spray to terminate? Im not buying one of the rollermabobbers

10-4 i didnt know if i was missing something
Id say i could just run over what i want to shred later (jan-feb) is the side by side or tractor especially if im dont hunting for the year.
Do you guys just spray to terminate? Im not buying one of the rollermabobbers

Beans into rye is cake! Easy!! By time you planting beans - even if u seeded rye in winter, rye will be 10-20” tall. Can simply spray with same stuff u would spray anyways.... plant right into it. Easy. I personally don’t crimp, mow, nothing. Plant right into it. Beans will grow better, less weeds, the rye will mulch the soil (heat & evaporation helped) & build organic matter.
It’s insane how much are soils are in need of: earthworms, moisture holding ability/organic matter, natural ecology of organisms and a firm root structure to stop the massive erosion General farming has. Sometime after a rain- go look & see if u see streams of top soil flowing down edges, ruts, wash outs, etc.
I’ll post up a few YouTube vids to listen to in car. The one thing I won’t do is graze animals.... I spread manure & do cover crops & soils in great shape. Won’t graze. But - here’s a few.... million examples- here’s one channel:
https://m.youtube.com/c/GrassfedExc...itct=CBIQ8JMBGAEiEwj_7oX59r7qAhWBhMIBHUnJA8Y=
start with this one.....

Check out cover crop & regenerative agriculture topics on YouTube. It all ties together.

Some move with no-tilling corn into the rye?

Be really careful with that. Rye has allopathic affects on corn. If you don't terminate it early spring it's bad news for planting corn. Likley a "grass against grass" mechanism ( not positive)

Speaking of rye again.... best weed control I've ever seen. Plant rye into half your beans (ahead of a brassica plot or plan on killing early). Dont plant in other half of beans. See how many more weeds are in the non rye side. Its so crazy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Be really careful with that. Rye has allopathic affects on corn. If you don't terminate it early spring it's bad news for planting corn. Likley a "grass against grass" mechanism ( not positive)

Speaking of rye again.... best weed control I've ever seen. Plant rye into half your beans (ahead of a brassica plot or plan on killing early). Dont plant in other half of beans. See how many more weeds are in the non rye side. Its so crazy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Also very good chance of having army worms destroy your corn with rye ahead of corn.

I planted 2 corn plots this year. I no tilled both plots but one had rye seeded last fall. I sprayed both fields with gly, and atrazine 3 days before I planted .
They both turned out great but the rye plot had far less weed pressure than the other.
KIMG0569.jpg
KIMG0665.jpg

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

I'll add that i
I planted 2 corn plots this year. I no tilled both plots but one had rye seeded last fall. I sprayed both fields with gly, and atrazine 3 days before I planted .
They both turned out great but the rye plot had far less weed pressure than the other.View attachment 119681View attachment 119682

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
I'll add that I also included 24d to the tank on my burn down to the non rye plot due to a lot of different weeds that were not present in the rye field. The only thing I needed to kill on the rye burn down was rye.

How many sprayings u do- just one? Looks really nice!! You caught that rye before got too big- well done!!! Was the weedy ground previously beans?

Top Bottom